Default Mike Tyson vs Oliver McCall ***SPARRING*** Sept. 1987

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Oliver McCall ***SPARRING*** Sept. 1987

And this is a perfect example of why sparring means absolutely nothing when it comes to predicting the outcome of a fight.
    At this time , Tyson was probably near his peak, (McCall was young, fit, seemingly mentally stable and not too shabby either.) and if they met in the ring:
    1. No headgear. This discourages head movement and Tyson's head movement in fights was exceptional.
    2. Smaller gloves, this helps Tyson with the torque on his punches
    3. A referee wouldn't allow anywhere near as much clinching and holding. That is so tiring for the smaller lighter guy.
    I thought McCall looked pretty damn good as well. And looking at this, it makes you wonder why he had to wait so long for a title shot.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McCall had his opportunities early in his career and lost to Buster Douglas.

Under Don King he got the fight with Lennox and the rest is history.

McCall chin is remarkable as he says he was never knocked down in sparring against Tyson and he took Lennox right hand flush when he had his mental breakdown.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are few things in boxing more overrated than Tyson's head movement. It was phenomenal during drills. But in fights it was not. His fantastic power and speed protected him. People were so worried about what was coming at them it protected Mike. But if you hit him his head movement stopped completely.

Very similar to Pacquiao in that offense was his best defense.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    There are few things in boxing more overrated than Tyson's head movement. It was phenomenal during drills. But in fights it was not. His fantastic power and speed protected him. People were so worried about what was coming at them it protected Mike. But if you hit him his head movement stopped completely.

Tyson's defence was superb and his boxing skills were excellent. Very under rated part of his game.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't agree.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey , Ronnie baby, have a look at this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LORhVEj6rPg
    And this one is where he gets hits, but continues to move his head.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vC5PTPV4Frg
    3.02 to 3.12 is my favourite one in this vid.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kbC36JESs
    I really want to find my all time favourite where he evades about 20 punches, throws a right uppercut against some giant, and the commentator just says "over he goes" he may as well have said "Tiiiiiiiimber."
    Come on Ron, what you got?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Hey , Ronnie baby, have a look at this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LORhVEj6rPg
    And this one is where he gets hits, but continues to move his head.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vC5PTPV4Frg
    3.02 to 3.12 is my favourite one in this vid.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kbC36JESs
    I really want to find my all time favourite where he evades about 20 punches, throws a right uppercut against some giant, and the commentator just says "over he goes" he may as well have said "Tiiiiiiiimber."
    Come on Ron, what you got?
    The first clip you only have to go 15 seconds in to see him take consecutive shots without moving his head. The 2nd is Reggie frickin Gross haha. Don't get me wrong, I love how wildly overrated Tyson was and is. I made a killing on sucker bets. Never lost a bet on Tyson and never sweated one out. It was always obvious.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Want to see puss poor head movement, watch after he starts getting hit, doesn't take long

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H3cbfYDVnVw

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Primo, this is probably the clip you want, don't know which bum he is toying with

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvoIlc5nYNE

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Atomic Bull ffs. One of the best names and odd ball mentalities with that chin. Only time he was stopped was when he stopped himself.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson's style was impetuous, his defence was impregnable, and he was just ferocious.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Primo, this is probably the clip you want, don't know which bum he is toying with

Thanks Ron, that clip was in the one i sent you. I don’t think that’s the one I’m thinking of, but my mind might be playing tricks with me!
    In my head, I can see a really tall Latino or Mexican guy , but almost identical to that finish. I must be getting old!
    With regards to your reply , that was 15 seconds of video against the loads I sent with a contrary outcome.
    And as for the quality of opponent, fair enough, but my point wasn’t about the opposition, it was about his head movement.
    All I did was searched for “ Mike Tyson head movement “ .loads came up including videos of Cus D’Amato continually commenting on it. When I changed the search to “Mike Tyson shit head movement,” nada!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Ron, that clip was in the one i sent you. I don’t think that’s the one I’m thinking of, but my mind might be playing tricks with me!
    In my head, I can see a really tall Latino or Mexican guy , but almost identical to that finish. I must be getting old!
    With regards to your reply , that was 15 seconds of video against the loads I sent with a contrary outcome.
    And as for the quality of opponent, fair enough, but my point wasn’t about the opposition, it was about his head movement.
    All I did was searched for “ Mike Tyson head movement “ .loads came up including videos of Cus D’Amato continually commenting on it. When I changed the search to “Mike Tyson shit head movement,” nada!
    I stand by how I see it. When he's in charge his movement is great. In training it's phenomenal. But when someone hits him it stops. It falls right in line with his psyche, when he meets resistance he looks for a way out. All those times in the mat and never once got up to win.

Mike's talent was something to behold, his fighting was less.(still a great)I see his head movement like Pacs (also a great)foot movement, amazingly fast but not close to as good as people say.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I stand by how I see it. When he's in charge his movement is great. In training it's phenomenal. But when someone hits him it stops. It falls right in line with his psyche, when he meets resistance he looks for a way out. All those times in the mat and never once got up to win.

Mike's talent was something to behold, his fighting was less.(still a great)I see his head movement like Pacs (also a great)foot movement, amazingly fast but not close to as good as people say.
    We'll have to agree to disagree................but you are wrong!

Thread Information