Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Guitar

If he is not going to stick with an acoustic guitar and electric will not make him Jimi Hendrix overnight, quite the opposite, without an amp he will not hear himself and it will just amplify his mistakes and cut his hands to shreds before they are toughened up by playing. Cheap guitars from Argos are rubbish and yet you do not want to waste a lot of money until he has proven his commitment. So buy good quality second hand at first. Ask at a decent music shop for recommendations and take him with you, or ask his guitar teacher if he is having lessons. A cheap guitars tone is terrible and they also go out of tune very quickly, which is disheartening for someone starting out. You can get 3/4 and Half size student guitars or if that is too small for him full size guitars at most decent guitar shops.

I would not force him to take lessons for so long that he lose the joy of playing, just enough to get him off his stabilizers and then buy him a few basic song books and encourage him to learn from playing along to songs. YouTube has some brilliant tutorials but don't forget to encourage and praise him just when he seems to lose interest. Getting over those difficult bumps will mean he will thank you when he grows up with such a useful way to communicate when he is all grown up.

I loved hearing my kids play even though they have not followed me into playing with bands etc.

Grandkids are at it now and they love hearing their mum playing the Saxophone . Just Noisy buggers with toys at this stage but they love it. My friend has just bought the oldest (6) a very nice used childs guitar from a car boot sale that wipes the floor with anything from the last twenty years of the same size. It stays here until he proves he can respect it and not smash his siblings across the head with it. Plenty of time for that once he joins a band
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is some good advice Beanz. The place that he wants to go for lessons say you have to have a guitar so I want to do my research and not be forced to get a guitar from them.

There are some local shops in town and I will take him and check what they have and advice they offer.

My son has been asking for a while and he normally sticks at things if he really wants it. He has chosen a guitar over a keyboard which is good as he has made one decision.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, I'm a 25 yr guitar player, (Youtube: Brandon Pennington U2 cover). Get him a used acoustic, put him in front of Youtube, and let him go at it. If it's meant to be, everything he could ever want to do is right in front of him. Just add effort.
    "...went 12 rounds with Ali, and never took a backwards step."

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hfahrenheit View Post
    Yep, I'm a 25 yr guitar player, (Youtube: Brandon Pennington U2 cover). Get him a used acoustic, put him in front of Youtube, and let him go at it. If it's meant to be, everything he could ever want to do is right in front of him. Just add effort.
    You ever watch those mark knopler (dire straights) instructional videos on YouTube

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know Elivis played and sang.

The Shadows were brilliant.

That is the extent of my knowledge.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sup Master,

I play some guitar as well, I've just been fucking around a bit with it for a few years, I recon like someone said earlier second hand acoustic and be put infront of youtube, as soon as he realise he can play intros or what so ever he will probably get into it a bit more, first few weeks will be tough though. try to explain that to him in the beginning, and get him to learn the basic chords and some strum patterns, so he can fuck 'bout a bit.

I recon a ukulele is good fun as well, good traveling and all around fun.

otherwise a drum kit is always good fun for the family

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No way with the drum!

I bet you only learned to play the guitar to have sex with hot women. There is nothing wrong with that.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey good luck, @Master . I hope your son sticks with the guitar. It's all in his own level of interest. If he likes it, he'll stick with it.

I was a piano man myself, took some classes and all. Lost interest, though, when the baseball bug hit and I stopped practicing.

Besides.... it would've been hell lugging the thing to parties.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hey good luck, @Master . I hope your son sticks with the guitar. It's all in his own level of interest. If he likes it, he'll stick with it.

I was a piano man myself, took some classes and all. Lost interest, though, when the baseball bug hit and I stopped practicing.

I wanted to learn piano. I think there is a famous musician who says it is the best way of meeting girls.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    No way with the drum!

I bet you only learned to play the guitar to have sex with hot women. There is nothing wrong with that.
    lol kinda in a dry zone right now.... need to get back traveling..

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I wanted to learn piano. I think there is a famous musician who says it is the best way of meeting girls.

Girls are drawn to musicians in general. Well.... except maybe harpists.

I had my regrets about dropping the piano. Especially after becoming familiar with some of the great salsa and Latin jazz pianists, like Eddie Palmieri, Richie Ray, and mostly Papo Lucca.
    I'm fairly sure these guys, especially Lucca, had to fight the women off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, but I'd watch him play anywhere. I use Youtube to figure out different versions of covers, or for leads that I can't figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hfahrenheit View Post
    You ever watch those mark knopler (dire straights) instructional videos on YouTube
    "...went 12 rounds with Ali, and never took a backwards step."

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bought a second hand electric guitar with amp from music shop for £100. The guitar itself was £75.

I also got the guitar pick cost 70p.

Did not know that the string's have to be changed every so often.
    Last edited by Master; 04-05-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've only just seen this, how old is your nipper? if he is really young then I would have seconded the Ukulele idea, great fun they are and easy to learn.

I also would have seconded the advice of getting an acoustic before an electric, electric guitars can mask a lot of errors.

I hope he sticks with it anyway man, make sure he doesn't just try and jump into Hendrix and shit like that, make sure he learns his chords and he can strum a few songs before moving onto the riffs.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here is a pic of my little family

Thread Information