Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deontay Wilder ready to fight Anthony Joshua in the UK this summer - Shirley Winkle

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Deontay Wilder ready to fight Anthony Joshua in the UK this summer - Shirley Winkle

Well this looks promising

"We are really glad that Anthony Joshua said for the first time 'I will fight Deontay next...' and we believe he is a man of his word. Deontay accepts the challenge," his manager Shirley Winkle told the Daily Telegraph .
    "We want to make it public that Deontay wants the fight, and we are prepared to come over, or meet here and get the deal done. Deontay is ready to sign and come to the UK to fight this summer."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...thony-12292292

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Deontay Wilder ready to fight Anthony Joshua in the UK this summer - Shirley Wink

I have no idea who wins this fight..

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Deontay Wilder ready to fight Anthony Joshua in the UK this summer - Shirley Wink

Probably the better boxer with the power.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've got Wilder as a favourite to win by KO, don't get me wrong as i'd love Josh to be undisputed Champ being a Brit but his serious lack of head movement is a massive worry against someone as wild and unpredictable as Wilder, i also think Wilder beats him for speed and maybe power too, he's almost elastic compared to AJ's heavy muscle which as the Great Manny Steward once said creates more power.
    Same height and reach as well but there's every chance it could be a snoozefest too as there will be so much at stake, i mean if Josh is unwilling to risk his "legacy or 0" against Parker then will he really go for it against Wilder who clearly poses way more danger?

Whoever the travelling fighter ends up being will have to take the risks

Joshua v Wilder: Fans given REAL HOPE of UNDISPUTED clash as 60-40 TERMS and TALKS are revealed

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/authors/gareth-a-davies/
    Last edited by Fenster; 04-03-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Read this article earlier which is maybe overly harsh towards AJ but i agree with a lot of what the writer says....

Jaded Joshua Ruins The Day

Anthony Joshua was supposed to be the savior of boxing—a heavyweight with charisma, a big punch, and a willingness to let his big fists fly for the enjoyment of all. No more cold, clinical, tediously dull Wladimir Klitschko, who could punch through a cement wall, but never actually pushed himself to “fight” as champ. The new champ was ALL about fighting and about steamrolling those who found themselves in his way. And the fans loved him immediately for it, turning him into boxing’s biggest live draw and a fast-rising worldwide superstar.

But, in case you haven’t noticed, “AJ” has been more Wladimir Klitschko than Anthony Joshua these last couple fights. Against Carlos Takam last October and against Joseph Parker this past Saturday, Joshua fought carefully and methodically, looking like someone primarily focused on not losing and secondarily interested in doing just enough to win. More and more, the big Brit looks to be fighting with business on his mind, bursting with self-awareness when it comes to the kind of money laid out at his feet.
    All of this is understandable from Joshua’s perspective, but it doesn’t make for a compelling sporting contest when one side is not good enough to win and the other side is not too sure about doing anything more than bare minimum to secure a win.
    From a fan’s perspective, it sucks, actually.
    It was probably inevitable that Joshua would become jaded when he realized how much money he could make and how many asses he could put in seats by merely showing up—and that a ragingly bold performance wasn’t even necessary. 80,000 fans at Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales seemed oddly enthused by the all-around lackluster performance by their hero on Saturday, so why would Joshua do anything different than the bare minimum needed to get to his next payday?
    After the fight, the now-three-belt champ spoke with a tone of triumphant glory like he had just beaten Ali, Frazier, and Foreman, all in the same night or like he had just proven his mettle in all-out war. He boasted of his title belt collection, threw rocks at WBC champ Deontay Wilder, and assured that he would not be travelling abroad anytime soon. Joshua’s bold after-fight presence stood in stark contrast to his going-through-the-motions performance just minutes earlier.
    This may have been “boxing finesse,” as he bragged in that same post-fight interview, but it was also cynical as fuck. Just because the UK fans apparently failed to see it, that doesn’t mean that it was anything other than what it was.
    Yeah, Parker, with a good jab and a survivor’s mindset, was making it tough for Joshua to barrel in and Takam, last fall, was an awkward late replacement. There are excuses for Joshua’s recent performances. But the truly great ones take out the survivors and clumsy stragglers right away, they obliterate the pretenders and truly separate themselves from everyone beneath them. They don’t keep opponents around who clearly have no idea how to win and they sure as hell don’t crow about efforts that put everyone outside their home country to sleep.
    WBC champ Deontay Wilder, for all his technical flaws and cringe-worthy behavior, is, at the very least, powered by this drive to conquer rather than simply win. It makes him a more compelling fighter and his fights overall more entertaining, especially now, with Joshua having done little more than the bare minimum in recent performances.
    But why would Joshua do anything different than what he’s doing now? With guaranteed eight-figure paydays rolling in and an adoring, hero-hungry UK audience willing to love him no matter what, he really doesn’t have to go all-out to please those who aren’t enthralled by his mere presence.
    In the short term, this is good news for Joshua and his ability to make a living. It means big, easy money. But, long term, fighters who become jaded and then complacent, rarely last long at the top of the boxing food chain.

Written by Deontay Wilder's mum.

Last edited by Fenster; 04-03-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with a lot of that too.

Didn’t think Wilder fight would happen this year but now beginning to think it will.

Takam and Parker were never going to seriously trouble him and allowed Joshua to fight safety first. Wilder won’t do that. Neither would Povetkin and Whyte come to think of it.

Opponents like Parker will keep the money machine printing. A Wilder match up could shorten that trains journey but would bring out the best in AJ I’m sure.

I favour wilder 60-40 to win at moment.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a load of bollocks. Sounds like the ranting of an absolute nooby 'Casual' fan.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

I will believe AJ vs Wilder is happening when I see them in the ring together. There's a lot of red tape in boxing and not from athletic commissions or whatever it's 2 promoters trying to get the best deal they can and they routinely fuck it up for the fans by holding out for more money here or more money there, they fuck it up. AJ vs Wilder is as big as it's ever going to get and it will get no bigger unless somebody sleeps with the other guy's baby mama but right then we start to get pro wrestling gimicky.

AJ has a claim to the throne, Wilder has a claim to the throne, the ONLY way to settle it is have them fight each other and if that takes 2 years to accomplish that is just sad.

Floyd vs Hatton took forever, Floyd vs Cotto took forever, Floyd vs Pacquiao took forever, Calzaghe vs any American took forever, RJJ Hopkins 2 took forever, Wlad vs Haye took forever, boxing has a rich history of fights running out of juice before they happen and as a fan of boxing it sickens me.....this fight should have been ready to sign as soon as AJ raised his hand in victory over Parker that it isn't worries me. It worries me that we'll never see the best vs the best at their best ever again in boxing. Think there will never be another Mike Tyson? You're God damned right there won't be because it would take 22 years to get the titles unified!

The fight needs to be signed and happen immediately before anything else happens. I bet Tyson Fury comes back, has a tune up bout and then claims he's owed the belts back having never lost them and lord knows how long that takes to resolve.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Read this article earlier which is maybe overly harsh towards AJ but i agree with a lot of what the writer says....

Jaded Joshua Ruins The Day

Anthony Joshua was supposed to be the savior of boxing—a heavyweight with charisma, a big punch, and a willingness to let his big fists fly for the enjoyment of all. No more cold, clinical, tediously dull Wladimir Klitschko, who could punch through a cement wall, but never actually pushed himself to “fight” as champ. The new champ was ALL about fighting and about steamrolling those who found themselves in his way. And the fans loved him immediately for it, turning him into boxing’s biggest live draw and a fast-rising worldwide superstar.

But, in case you haven’t noticed, “AJ” has been more Wladimir Klitschko than Anthony Joshua these last couple fights. Against Carlos Takam last October and against Joseph Parker this past Saturday, Joshua fought carefully and methodically, looking like someone primarily focused on not losing and secondarily interested in doing just enough to win. More and more, the big Brit looks to be fighting with business on his mind, bursting with self-awareness when it comes to the kind of money laid out at his feet.
    All of this is understandable from Joshua’s perspective, but it doesn’t make for a compelling sporting contest when one side is not good enough to win and the other side is not too sure about doing anything more than bare minimum to secure a win.
    From a fan’s perspective, it sucks, actually.
    It was probably inevitable that Joshua would become jaded when he realized how much money he could make and how many asses he could put in seats by merely showing up—and that a ragingly bold performance wasn’t even necessary. 80,000 fans at Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales seemed oddly enthused by the all-around lackluster performance by their hero on Saturday, so why would Joshua do anything different than the bare minimum needed to get to his next payday?
    After the fight, the now-three-belt champ spoke with a tone of triumphant glory like he had just beaten Ali, Frazier, and Foreman, all in the same night or like he had just proven his mettle in all-out war. He boasted of his title belt collection, threw rocks at WBC champ Deontay Wilder, and assured that he would not be travelling abroad anytime soon. Joshua’s bold after-fight presence stood in stark contrast to his going-through-the-motions performance just minutes earlier.
    This may have been “boxing finesse,” as he bragged in that same post-fight interview, but it was also cynical as fuck. Just because the UK fans apparently failed to see it, that doesn’t mean that it was anything other than what it was.
    Yeah, Parker, with a good jab and a survivor’s mindset, was making it tough for Joshua to barrel in and Takam, last fall, was an awkward late replacement. There are excuses for Joshua’s recent performances. But the truly great ones take out the survivors and clumsy stragglers right away, they obliterate the pretenders and truly separate themselves from everyone beneath them. They don’t keep opponents around who clearly have no idea how to win and they sure as hell don’t crow about efforts that put everyone outside their home country to sleep.
    WBC champ Deontay Wilder, for all his technical flaws and cringe-worthy behavior, is, at the very least, powered by this drive to conquer rather than simply win. It makes him a more compelling fighter and his fights overall more entertaining, especially now, with Joshua having done little more than the bare minimum in recent performances.
    But why would Joshua do anything different than what he’s doing now? With guaranteed eight-figure paydays rolling in and an adoring, hero-hungry UK audience willing to love him no matter what, he really doesn’t have to go all-out to please those who aren’t enthralled by his mere presence.
    In the short term, this is good news for Joshua and his ability to make a living. It means big, easy money. But, long term, fighters who become jaded and then complacent, rarely last long at the top of the boxing food chain.

http://www.boxing.com/jaded_joshua_ruins_the_day.html

There is so much wrong with it, it is difficult to know where to start. He is talking about a champion with his first UD after 20 consecutive KO's. How is winning comprehensively and avoiding any bear traps before an historic opportunity to hold all the belts, "jaded and complacent" ? Why does the writer literally have to make stuff up to give his story any kind of resonance? His claims of boasting braggadocio from Joshua post fight had to be invented in order to pretend that his performance earlier was somehow in stark contrast. It's lazy writing, an excuse for him to spout ridiculous nonsense like this -

"WBC champ Deontay Wilder, for all his technical flaws and cringe-worthy behavior, is, at the very least, powered by this drive to conquer rather than simply win. It makes him a more compelling fighter and his fights overall more entertaining, especially now, with Joshua having done little more than the bare minimum in recent performances."

He is just giving his arse full reign there, "drive to conquer rather than simply win"? Drive to conquer who exactly? How many belts does Wilder have? Where are these great list of conquests? And then Joshua's ability to win by apparently doing hardly anything is dismissed as though being clueless and swinging for the rafters is the mark of a great champion. There is nothing compelling about Wilder and he is tailor made to be smashed to pieces by a superior and fit, hard hitting boxer.

The analysis of the fight is very crude. Anything that looks that easy very rarely is. Maybe the author should think about that before writing his next article.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz
    There is nothing compelling about Wilder and he is tailor made to be smashed to pieces by a superior and fit, hard hitting boxer.
    ....Uuuhhhh wouldn't MOST fighters lose to superior boxers

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz
    There is nothing compelling about Wilder and he is tailor made to be smashed to pieces by a superior and fit, hard hitting boxer.
    ....Uuuhhhh wouldn't MOST fighters lose to superior boxers
    Wilder is not a boxer. He is a bar fighter. Basic stuff Lyle.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joshua can’t catch a break with some people.when he’s bowling over guys, his stamina is questioned, when he goes 12 rounds EASY, he’s going backwards as a fighter.
    I Think there’s a lot of clueless shit been spoken about Joshua after this fight. I’m not surprised by the casuals, I’m not even surprised by some of the pundits and media, because a lot of them have their own agenda, but I’m a touch surprised at some of the knowledgeable people on this forum.
    Joshua just comfortably beat a World Champion, and barely got hit.
    Admittedly the HW scene isn’t a vintage era, and he is a bit unpolished to be at such an elevated position, but that’s not his fault. He can only carry on doing what he’s doing.
    Btw,Did anyone see Wilder struggle to beat Ortiz?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Joshua can’t catch a break with some people.when he’s bowling over guys, his stamina is questioned, when he goes 12 rounds EASY, he’s going backwards as a fighter.
    I Think there’s a lot of clueless shit been spoken about Joshua after this fight. I’m not surprised by the casuals, I’m not even surprised by some of the pundits and media, because a lot of them have their own agenda, but I’m a touch surprised at some of the knowledgeable people on this forum.
    Joshua just comfortably beat a World Champion, and barely got hit.
    Admittedly the HW scene isn’t a vintage era, and he is a bit unpolished to be at such an elevated position, but that’s not his fault. He can only carry on doing what he’s doing.
    Btw,Did anyone see Wilder struggle to beat Ortiz?

I think Wilder gets as much shit, if not more, than AJ ever has. BTW, I don't begrudge AJ his win over Parker. He did what he had to do, and Parker didn't force him to do anything different. Did Wilder struggle to beat Ortiz? Yeah. But as old and fat as Ortiz is, I would've picked him over Parker. People like to point to Wilder's windmills, and make it seem it's all he throws. So the hate flies in both directions. Both have strengths... both have flaws. Right now, I'd probably pick AJ over Wilder, mostly because of the two, AJ's the more polished fighter. They both have lights out power, so that's pretty much a wash. AJ catches Wilder clean... it's over. Likewise if it's the other way around. Of AJ's strengths, he's got that sneaky uppercut which he throws with amazing skill, even from extremely close quarters. Of Wilder's weaknesses, I hate that pawing thing he calls a jab. His handlers should work on that a lot.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's good to hear and let us hope. Just glad the part about wanting a body was left out and way to change news cycle by team . Love to see Wilder travel for it but could have started by attending the fight. I'm still leaning heavy on AJ when all is said and done as Wilder is Wilder and not some superior boxer.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

gododoododood
    Last edited by Fenster; 04-03-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information