Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two days of live sports... MLB tomorrow and Golden Boy Boxing on Thursday

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Two days of live sports... MLB tomorrow and Golden Boy Boxing on Thursday

Looking forward to it.

Tomorrow, in an event admittedly only mildly interesting for some of our Stateside Saddo'ers, my brother and I will be going to Hiram Bithorn Stadium to watch the 2nd of a 2-game series between the Minnesota Twins and the Cleveland Indians of the MLB. Looking forward to seeing some of our local talent, like Francisco Lindor, Roberto Perez, Eddie Rosario, and pitching sensation Jose Berrios. Always great to catch live MLB games.

On Thursday a group of us will be going to Coliseo de Puerto Rico to watch the Golden Boy Boxing (ESPN2/ ESPN Deportes) fight card. The main event is Lamont Roach Jr. vs Orlando Cruz, but there's gonna be 9 fights total and I plan to watch them all. Full night of boxing..... should be fun.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Two days of live sports... MLB tomorrow and Golden Boy Boxing on Thursday

I absolutely hate baseball. The only sport that I just don’t like.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Two days of live sports... MLB tomorrow and Golden Boy Boxing on Thursday

It's not so bad in person. I can't stomach it on TV, though. I'll make exceptions for the World Series, but that's about it.

Still, I'm more looking forward to the boxing card on Thursday.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Full schedule:

April 19
    At San Juan, Puerto Rico (ESPN2/ESPN Deportes):

Lamont Roach Jr. vs. Orlando Cruz, 10 rounds, junior lightweights

Jose Lopez vs. Miguel Gonzalez, 10 rounds, lightweights

Magdiel Cotto vs. Elie Augustama, 8 rounds, middleweights

Luis Hernandez vs. Juan Abreu, 10 rounds, welterweights

Daniel Zorilla vs. Jimmy Rosario, 6 rounds, junior welterweights

Carlos Caraballo vs. Antonio Rodriguez, 6 rounds, junior featherweights

Bryan Chevalier vs. Luis Diaz, 6 rounds, junior lightweights

Alfredo Mejias vs. Edgardo Marin, 6 rounds, middleweights

Jean Rivera vs. Jonathan Delgado, 4 rounds, junior welterweights

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing like a day of live boxing enjoy. Baseball is a great game. I used to go to Toronto every year to see the blue jays vs the Red Sox, I love the Red Sox

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I was in NY for the Quillin Lee fight we went to see the Yankees. Worst decision of the trip, absolutely shite not to mention getting asked for ID every 15 minutes when getting a beer from the same vendor

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like a good double header of action. Haven't followed Twins or baseball since the days of Kirby Pucket and Chili Davis but in the right venue the game can be pretty entertaining, and goes a helluva lot faster than television.

Pretty good card on espn 2 also. What sort of seats did you get? We'll be looking for the Saddo banners .

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    It's not so bad in person. I can't stomach it on TV, though. I'll make exceptions for the World Series, but that's about it.Still, I'm more looking forward to the boxing card on Thursday.
    In person and with beer, it is a lot of fun. I love going to AAA and even single A games in person n getn drunk or least a good buzz.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Sounds like a good double header of action. Haven't followed Twins or baseball since the days of Kirby Pucket and Chili Davis but in the right venue the game can be pretty entertaining, and goes a helluva lot faster than television.

Pretty good card on espn 2 also. What sort of seats did you get? We'll be looking for the Saddo banners .

We almost got a two-for-one on the baseball game..... lasted 16 innings!!! People were largely game (sold-out stadium)... but started leaving a few innings before, no doubt thinking about having to go to work the next day. The seats were great, @Spicoli . First base side, not too far up, and in good position for lots of foul balls. Unfortunately most of the hitters seemed to be lefty, so the 3rd base side got most of the action. Also, the cameramen were too busy seeking out the fine looking women, like they always do. All in all a great game, except for those who like lots of offense. It was 0-0 through 13 or 14 innings, it seems, with our own José Berrios and the Indians starting pitcher locked in a pitcher's duel through about 7-8 innings. Finally a couple of homers to spark up things from the offensive side, and the Twins won on a walk-off single into center field.

A side note: My brother and I left Luquillo (NE corner town) under a massive downpour, complete with thunder and lightning. We were also in the middle of a 12-hour long power outage. Felt we were a little nuts thinking there was going to be an actual baseball game. By the time we got to San Juan, not a drop of rain, and a packed stadium. Couple of times between innings they had some choreographed dances atop one of the dugouts (1st base side ) by some finely toned, very flexible females..... and after that who cares who won the game.

Hoping for more offense tonight.
    Last edited by TitoFan; 04-20-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good card unfolding and looks like you have lots of seats to pick from bud . With everything going on good they have network events and promotion going locally. Orlando Cruz is putting in work and showing Roach some experience over first 6 rnds!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cruz hurt very bad, ref ignored clear KD.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow, that was a marathon and a half. Two days straight of getting home at close to 2 am..... but well worth it.

The fight card was great. The best fights were José "Wonder Boy" Lopez defeating Mexican Miguel Angel Gonzalez via UD, and Carlos "Purin" Caraballo defeating Mexican Antonio Rodriguez via 4th round TKO. Both Lopez and Caraballo looked excellent in their fights. The Roach-Cruz fight was close but yeah..... the ref did a poor job in not acknowledging the clear knockdown. Don't know how he didn't. Still, it was close enough to where a draw wasn't all that bad a decision. Disappointing crowd size to be sure. I don't know whether the baseball games the previous two nights had anything to do with it or what. But it was a good card. Magdiel Cotto won his fight also, to improve to 9-0 with 7 KO's, but honestly he doesn't impress me. Lopez and Caraballo impress me more.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On another note, the Tecate ring girl was a bit more curvy than the ones I'm used to seeing on Golden Boy telecasts. Gotta love the local talent.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    On another note, the Tecate ring girl was a bit more curvy than the ones I'm used to seeing on Golden Boy telecasts. Gotta love the local talent.
    Now I am interested.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This goes back to my post about why do the English sell more tickets than the US.

How big was the venue, what was the crowd like, was it on TV, these are the cards that we don't get to here about over here.

Any prospects that we should keep our eyes open for?

Thread Information