Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Deontay Wilder ACCEPTS Anthony Joshua terms with REMATCH CLAUSE for 2018 UK CLASH

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Deontay Wilder ACCEPTS Anthony Joshua terms with REMATCH CLAUSE for 2018 UK CLASH

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    That is to save AJ reputation and image. I am sure AJ instructs Eddie what are his requirements and is happy with the fight not happening this year.
    personally i think they should get rid of mandatories anyway then fight, more chance whoever wins will be unified a little longer.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Deontay Wilder ACCEPTS Anthony Joshua terms with REMATCH CLAUSE for 2018 UK CLASH

That is to save AJ reputation and image. I am sure AJ instructs Eddie what are his requirements and is happy with the fight not happening this year.
    personally i think they should get rid of mandatories anyway then fight, more chance whoever wins will be unified a little longer.
    There will always been mandatories and the current ones are not meanigful or carry any interest.

The real fight is between AJ v Wilder to become undisputed champion which could have happened this year.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There will always been mandatories and the current ones are not meanigful or carry any interest.

The real fight is between AJ v Wilder to become undisputed champion which could have happened this year.
    funny thing is most people hadnt heard of wilder until this AJ fight was mentioned, its actually done wilder good just being linked to him.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

funny thing is most people hadnt heard of wilder until this AJ fight was mentioned, its actually done wilder good just being linked to him.
    True. It probably has raised his profile in the USA and got them on his side for just being a yank.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I fear for the sanity of anyone who genuinely believed that Wilder ever had any interest in this fight happening this year.

Promotion 101. Using AJ's name to build his own profile, so he can demand a bigger slice of the pie next year.

To clarify the key points...

Wilder has turned down $12.5m - 6 times his highest purse, with the ability to make double that in a rematch should he win (which he believes he will). So, why would you turn down the opportunity to net around $40m and become undisputed Heavyweight champion, and therefore, a global superstar?

Wilder made a verbal offer for AJ to receive $50m (as a retaliation to a comment AJ made) but then Finkel refused to actually meet with Hearn to discuss further after Hearn said he was very interested, and obviously refused to send a contract.

Hearn then made an offer which Wilder was publicly happy with on the proviso that a couple of small changes were made (according to Finkel). Finkel then went public and confirmed this to Dan Rafael, but stated that Hearn would have to wait 6 days to hear his comments (knowing full well Hearn was on the 7th week of a WBA extension and was at a point whee he was applying for daily extensions).

WBA saw the interview on ESPN and interjected by calling for the Povetkin fight.

Hearn goes down the Povetkin route but then enhances his offer to Wilder by adding a $5m bonus fight for him to fight any top 15 ranked fighter (could have been Breazeale, who he will instead fight for half of that). Hearn publicly leaves the offer open.

Wilder then publicly announces that he is only willing to accept 50/50 split

Additional facts

AJ/Klitschko and AJ/Parker had more UK PPV buys than Wilder/Ortiz had US TV views.

Joshua is routinely generating enough money to earn around £10m-£15m per fight.

Joshua is selling out 80,000/90,000 capacity stadiums in a heartbeat.

Wilder is making around $2m a fight and struggling to sell out the Barclays Centre (free tickets had to be given away for the Ortiz fight).

Joshua has already beaten Ring Ranked number 1 fighter (at the time), number 3 (at the time), number 6 (current) and number 7 (current). He has an offer on the table for the current number 2 and has signed to fight the current number 3.

Wilder's only legitimate challenge (in almost twice as many fights) was a guy who is rumoured to actually be 48 and was almost pulled from the fight an hour before the ringwalk due to high blood pressure.

Financially, with the offer that stands, Wilder would earn around 7-8 times his usual purse. Joshua would probably stand to earn about 1.5 times his current average

On a sporting level, Wilder is being more than suitably compensated - he has the chance to obtain an additional 3 world titles

Should he win (and he should believe that he does), he stands to double his earnings in a rematch and then become a global superstar.

Instead, he has declared he wants to get to 51-0 and will probably do so, taking on a series of non-threats for $2m a time.

Absolute jokes.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder want 51 wins and he retires? Moron that number is just nonsense.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    I fear for the sanity of anyone who genuinely believed that Wilder ever had any interest in this fight happening this year.

Promotion 101. Using AJ's name to build his own profile, so he can demand a bigger slice of the pie next year.

Wilder has turned down $12.5m - 6 times his highest purse, with the ability to make double that in a rematch should he win (which he believes he will). So, why would you turn down the opportunity to net around $40m and become undisputed Heavyweight champion, and therefore, a global superstar?

Wilder made a verbal offer for AJ to receive $50m (as a retaliation to a comment AJ made) but then Finkel refused to actually meet with Hearn to discuss further after Hearn said he was very interested, and obviously refused to send a contract.

Hearn then made an offer which Wilder was publicly happy with on the proviso that a couple of small changes were made (according to Finkel). Finkel then went public and confirmed this to Dan Rafael, but stated that Hearn would have to wait 6 days to hear his comments (knowing full well Hearn was on the 7th week of a WBA extension and was at a point whee he was applying for daily extensions).

WBA saw the interview on ESPN and interjected by calling for the Povetkin fight.

Hearn goes down the Povetkin route but then enhances his offer to Wilder by adding a $5m bonus fight for him to fight any top 15 ranked fighter (could have been Breazeale, who he will instead fight for half of that). Hearn publicly leaves the offer open.

Additional facts

AJ/Klitschko and AJ/Parker had more UK PPV buys than Wilder/Ortiz had US TV views.

Wilder is making around $2m a fight and struggling to sell out the Barclays Centre (free tickets had to be given away for the Ortiz fight).

Joshua has already beaten Ring Ranked number 1 fighter (at the time), number 3 (at the time), number 6 (current) and number 7 (current). He has an offer on the table for the current number 2 and has signed to fight the current number 3.

Wilder's only legitimate challenge (in almost twice as many fights) was a guy who is rumoured to actually be 48 and was almost pulled from the fight an hour before the ringwalk due to high blood pressure.

Financially, with the offer that stands, Wilder would earn around 7-8 times his usual purse. Joshua would probably stand to earn about 1.5 times his current average

On a sporting level, Wilder is being more than suitably compensated - he has the chance to obtain an additional 3 world titles

Should he win (and he should believe that he does), he stands to double his earnings in a rematch and then become a global superstar.

Instead, he has declared he wants to get to 51-0 and will probably do so, taking on a series of non-threats for $2m a time.

Absolute jokes.
    Gold standard summary. Class.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

Additional facts

Absolute jokes.
    Good post but we don't like people that speak sense here.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearn never wanted the fight. Anytime Wilder accepted to anything, Hearn wanted to change something. I wouldn’t have faulted Wilder for giving into every single demand despite being (in my opinion) just as good as AJ. He didn’t want to be cheated though and had to get some leeway. And I respect him for turning it down. Same way as I would have respected GGG to not ever fight Canelo.

Hearn doesn’t want AJ to lose. He knows that he can take the easy fights and the Brits will keep coming for more. AJ is basically Canelo that doesn’t cheat (or at least hasn’t been caught yet).

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ is pretty much showing 'who run Bartertown' with next yr made. Bit of a finger on the forehead. Wilders in a spot and not many huge options to make the case and push money issue. Breazeale sits there but while a fun fight style wise he's just following Joshua ko. Wilder needs to travel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Hearn never wanted the fight. Anytime Wilder accepted to anything, Hearn wanted to change something. I wouldn’t have faulted Wilder for giving into every single demand despite being (in my opinion) just as good as AJ. He didn’t want to be cheated though and had to get some leeway. And I respect him for turning it down. Same way as I would have respected GGG to not ever fight Canelo.

Hearn doesn’t want AJ to lose. He knows that he can take the easy fights and the Brits will keep coming for more. AJ is basically Canelo that doesn’t cheat (or at least hasn’t been caught yet).
    Easy Fights? Wilder is going to face a guy who AJ has already beaten.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@ronSwanson, if I had written some of the posts above, you would've hounded me for 3 days solid!!!!!! thoughts??
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Wilder needs to travel.

He's been to Vegas ONCE, and then back to the Alabama-Brooklyn shuttle.

Yeah...... someone give the man a passport. (And ditch his useless promotional team while they're at it).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder is at the arse end of a spoof boxing career, his main problem being that he can't box, he can only hit cheap lummoxes put in front of him. He is after a 2 fight guarantee because he knows he will get beat in both then retire and write a book or whatever.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

The only thing he 'changed his mind' on was the location of the fight. I say 'changed' because he didn't matter of factly agree to the fight being in the US in the first place. He said he would be interested in negotiating it or looking at it. but Finkel wouldn't meet with him to discuss anything.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Thread Information