Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin v Canelo 2 CONFIRMED

Gennady Golovkin: ‘If Mayweather went into the UFC it would be a different story’

HE may have the biggest fight of his life looming on September 15, the Canelo Alvarez rematch, but Gennady Golovkin has been on something of a good will tour. He appeared at the start of the World Cup and took in the latest UFC event.

Speaking to the media there, he mused on Conor McGregor’s foray into boxing, when he fought Floyd Mayweather last year.

“Everybody likes him,” Golovkin said of McGregor. “He’s a very good athlete, he’s a professional athlete. He’s a very good fighter. I remember last fight with Floyd. This guy he goes into boxing, seriously this is difficult for him and he looks good. If Mayweather went into UFC – different story.”

Golovkin’s attention of course is on the upcoming fight with his Mexican rival. “I’m very excited, a lot of people want to watch this second fight. I had good experience from the first fight. Right now I will change my performance a little bit. I know what I need for the second fight. Right now we have a different situation, completely different. Different emotions, different business deal, everything,” he said. “Different respect with him. For him, it’s not good for my side… Different mentality.

“Not respect, we’re both professional athletes. This is fight.”

Golovkin hopes that Alvarez will stand and trade in the rematch. “I believe he’s talked too much [about fighting differently], if he fights like that, it’s good for fans,” he said. “Right now I’m very happy because I have a fight September 15… It’s huge for us.

“First of all this is the biggest fight in boxing. I’m very excited for this fight.”

He himself promises to be more clinical and expects a fair decision from the judges, after their first fight was controversially ruled a draw. “I believe this time more professional. More professional from judges. More professional for us,” he said.

But even Golovkin hinted at an element of doubt. “Nobody knows, this is boxing. Everybody has chance and nobody knows who will win,” he said. “Right now it’s a very interesting and very dangerous question for us.”

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/genn...fferent-story/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone any connections to source tickets for this? Looking for the cheapest tickets possible. Flying over with a couple of mates so any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/08...n/#more-268105

So Roach is picking Ginger.

Freddie knows a lot about boxing, but he's wrong on this one. Ginger without his Clenbuterol-laced physique and lots of extra pounds on his frame is going to be easy pickings for GGG. That is....... if GGG learned his lesson and doesn't leave the decision in the corrupt hands of the bought judges. GGG is older now, and I'm sure that's what Team Ginger is banking on. Never has Ginger faced a high-profile fighter both at his peak and at the same size. There's always some f*cking advantage involved. That's the shady part about this dude I can't stomach. I like equal size fighters fighting under equal conditions. That's why I favor re-hydration clauses to be instituted in boxing. If that had been in place years ago, guys like Ginger and JCC Jr would've been nobodies.

Can't wait till 9/15 when GGG rips Ginger a new one.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Freddie knows a lot about boxing, but he's wrong on this one. Ginger without his Clenbuterol-laced physique and lots of extra pounds on his frame is going to be easy pickings for GGG. That is....... if GGG learned his lesson and doesn't leave the decision in the corrupt hands of the bought judges. GGG is older now, and I'm sure that's what Team Ginger is banking on. Never has Ginger faced a high-profile fighter both at his peak and at the same size. There's always some f*cking advantage involved. That's the shady part about this dude I can't stomach. I like equal size fighters fighting under equal conditions. That's why I favor re-hydration clauses to be instituted in boxing. If that had been in place years ago, guys like Ginger and JCC Jr would've been nobodies.

They need to go back to say day weigh ins. Day before is ridiculous. It isn’t any safer. It’s most likely more dangerous. Then, as you said, Canelo would have had to fight guys his own size throughout his career.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

They need to go back to say day weigh ins. Day before is ridiculous. It isn’t any safer. It’s most likely more dangerous. Then, as you said, Canelo would have had to fight guys his own size throughout his career.

With the experience, precision, and careful planning these guys are used to (and their teams), it's not a stretch to ask them to be ready for same-day weigh-ins. If you can aim for the day before, you can certainly aim for the same day. These guys are professionals. The day before weigh-in just gives you wiggle room to re-hydrate up by as much as 20-25 pounds. How fair is that? All the excuses I've ever heard are just that...... excuses.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the real issue with weigh ins the day before is merely that it makes PED use even more rampant. It’s no coincidence that fighters seen to have taken the most advantage in recent memory have in fact been caught using diuretics... If you had comprehensive testing then it wouldn’t have to be such an issue, could even be something fighters negotiate on etc. Some guys naturally can shift weight more than others, obviously more so young guys, but that’s just yet another reason boxing is generally a young mans sport. There can be huge drawbacks to doing so as well, so weighing in the day before, in itself, doesn’t really upset the playing field imo.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo can't catch a break with some.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Canelo can't catch a break with some.
    Canelo will if he beats GGG. He has been pampered and protected for a lot of his career.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez to change approach in Gennady Golovkin rematch

Canelo Alvarez believes he needs to be more aggressive to beat Gennady Golovkin in their rematch on September 15. Golovkin and Alvarez clash for a second time in Las Vegas after a controversial draw in their first encounter almost a year ago. Alvarez comes into the contest under pressure to perform after testing positive for Clenbuterol and serving a six-month suspension.

Fight fans were relieved to learn the middleweights had managed to re-schedule the second fight and Alvarez expects to convincingly win the rematch. ‘Whatever it takes, I have to do something different in this fight to win convincingly,’ Canelo told Fighthub. ‘I was in good shape but I needed a little more to throw more punches.’

He added: ‘The first fight showed me what I need to do in order to win this rematch convincingly, even though I [still think] I won the first fight,’ he said. ‘I knew he was a fighter that could take a lot of punches. He can take a lot of punches upstairs. I simply thought to keep fighting my fight.’ The ban forced the cancellation of the original rematch date in May and sparked a furious reaction from Golovkin who accused Alvarez of taking banned substances before their first meeting.

Alvarez has denied he intentionally ingested Clenbuterol, insisting the positive tests were caused by eating contaminated meat in Mexico. The former world champion revealed he no longer eats meat, but will not be making changes to his team despite the controversy. Golovkin vs Alvarez II is tipped to be one of the most exciting fights of the year, with the winner able to call himself the king of the middleweights.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/07/canel...match-7811185/

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been saying this for a long time and I will continue to say it because I believe in my boxing intuition.

Triple G is the kind of fighter will you cannot give any space to and you cannot backup on and you cannot stand there doing nothing with. Triple G has to be rushed he has to be crowded he has to be pushed backwards

So far I have not seen any cunt try to do that

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Canelo Alvarez to change approach in Gennady Golovkin rematch

Canelo Alvarez believes he needs to be more aggressive to beat Gennady Golovkin in their rematch on September 15. Golovkin and Alvarez clash for a second time in Las Vegas after a controversial draw in their first encounter almost a year ago. Alvarez comes into the contest under pressure to perform after testing positive for Clenbuterol and serving a six-month suspension.

Fight fans were relieved to learn the middleweights had managed to re-schedule the second fight and Alvarez expects to convincingly win the rematch. ‘Whatever it takes, I have to do something different in this fight to win convincingly,’ Canelo told Fighthub. ‘I was in good shape but I needed a little more to throw more punches.’

He added: ‘The first fight showed me what I need to do in order to win this rematch convincingly, even though I [still think] I won the first fight,’ he said. ‘I knew he was a fighter that could take a lot of punches. He can take a lot of punches upstairs. I simply thought to keep fighting my fight.’ The ban forced the cancellation of the original rematch date in May and sparked a furious reaction from Golovkin who accused Alvarez of taking banned substances before their first meeting.

Alvarez has denied he intentionally ingested Clenbuterol, insisting the positive tests were caused by eating contaminated meat in Mexico. The former world champion revealed he no longer eats meat, but will not be making changes to his team despite the controversy. Golovkin vs Alvarez II is tipped to be one of the most exciting fights of the year, with the winner able to call himself the king of the middleweights.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/07/canel...match-7811185/

Well he'd better be more aggressive in the rematch, especially since Abel Sanchez has accused him of "stalling tactics" in their first fight.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/08...r/#more-268668

Sanchez had a few good lines in there. A couple of choice ones:

”Gennady had to chase Canelo, who boasted that he was the true Mexican warrior, around the ring,” Sanchez said. ”It reminded me of the four corners offense those old Dean Smith coached basketball teams used to play. I’m seriously considering asking the Nevada Commission to install a 24 second clock to force Canelo to engage,” Sanchez said.

Good college basketball analogy.

Another one:

”Compare the activity between the fighters in their first fight,” Sanchez said. ”Gennady did everything in that fight. Gennady wasn’t the one who got booed by the fans when those crazy scorecards were announced. And Gennady is going to do even more in the rematch. I read that Canelo isn’t eating beef in camp. Let’s just hope that he stopped eating duck too,” Sanchez said.

LOL..... eating duck.

According to the article, GGG is a less smiling, less friendly fighter going into the rematch than he was before the first fight. Good. I also hope Ginger comes forward like he said he was going to do. All of this bodes well for a knockout of epic proportions. The popcorn is already ready.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree that coming forward is the best way to beat GGG (for Canelo anyway).

Canelo needs to sit down on his punches early to get some respect but he needs to keep GGG moving. Once Golovkin gets within range Canelo needs to hold and spoil. Frustrate him.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love it if GGG comes into the fight angry. My only fear would be him getting a little reckless.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am really hyped up for this fight and cannot wait.

Golovkin just needs to do the same but fight smarter. Canelo was stealing rounds by throwing fast combinations which looked good but we're having little impact. Triple G should not allow him to get away with that in the second fight.

Thread Information