Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

Errol Spence looked devastating last night. His opponent wasn't great, but still the way he was taken out so quickly was very impressive.

However, I think he may have the same problem as prime Golovkin had for a few years, being avoided by top contenders.

Will Crawford, Thurman and Garcia be willing to fight Spence in the future? Sadly, I think Arum will protect Crawford, and the other two will simply avoid Spence.

I'd love to see Crawford vs. Spence.

Last edited by Freedom; 06-18-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

Think Spence is already in that boat.

GGG was only avoided by Martinez and Cotto, Canelo just waited him out. It’s hard to call it avoiding when Canelo has agreed to the fight 3 times now. But waiting, sure.

Where as Spence has been calling out the top guys(Thurman specifically )since 2015. We’re at year 4, already longer than Canelo waited out GGG

Bone spurs is a condition, not an injury as claimed. Surgery is elective. And he chose to time the surgery specifically to avoid. He knew no matter who won Brook/Spence people would call for him to fight the winner, that’s why he chose to have the surgery the week of that fight. It’s no coincidence he had spurs for years and chose to have surgery that week

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Triple G was avoided by Strum who was champion at the title but was elevated to super shit pants champion.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sturm(haha, my phone auto corrected to Strum too) was a champion like Lemieux was a champion, on paper only

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Sturm(haha, my phone auto corrected to Strum too) was a champion like Lemieux was a champion, on paper only
    Golovkin was number 1 for years waiting.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Waiting for Sturm? I’m not sure why anyone would care about Sturm. A Sturm win doesn’t change GGGs CV much. Sturm was basically a European champion that had a world belt or 3.

I’m sure you have figured out my moniker on the other site. You can find me in a thread I believe titled “Other than Martinez who is best at MW” where I said I thought GGG was the best at the weight including Martinez. This was when GGG was largely unknown and Martinez had just picked up his belt, before hiding.

Some day people will realize these belts don’t mean much. In the end fighters are remembered for who they fought. The 4 horsemen are the 4 horsemen for fighting each other.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Waiting for Sturm? I’m not sure why anyone would care about Sturm. A Sturm win doesn’t change GGGs CV much. Sturm was basically a European champion that had a world belt or 3.

I’m sure you have figured out my moniker on the other site. You can find me in a thread I believe titled “Other than Martinez who is best at MW” where I said I thought GGG was the best at the weight including Martinez. This was when GGG was largely unknown and Martinez had just picked up his belt, before hiding.

Some day people will realize these belts don’t mean much. In the end fighters are remembered for who they fought. The 4 horsemen are the 4 horsemen for fighting each other.
    If you are going up the rankings and are aiming for one of the champions then you do have to wait for him.

Of course in hindsight Golovkin could have gone for another champion but it is like waiting for a bus, you have invested the time that you do not want to take another route.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are going up the rankings and are aiming for one of the champions then you do have to wait for him.

Of course in hindsight Golovkin could have gone for another champion but it is like waiting for a bus, you have invested the time that you do not want to take another route.
    For the life of me I can’t figure out your point. Sturm, who cares about Sturm? GGG had been a champion for 4 years and unified before he fought a world level MW in Matthew Maklin, who had lost 2/3 coming into the fight. Hardly a hard luck situation. At this same time he could have raised his profile by fighting Ward. He chose to pursue only MW, except for JCC Jr he would move, no only MW, except for retired Froch, only MW, except for years earlier he said he would move up for Steiglitz, no only MW, anyone from 154-175, wait when 175 people say okay, 154-168, wait when Ward says let’s do it only MW. Perhaps some of the fault should fall to GGG and his mixed messages. That still happen to this day, remember last year he still said his goal was all the belts, why didn’t he pursue “his goal”? If you say many things then don’t follow up on what you say you should be held responsible for it.

GGG is a great champion but him playing the victim, or more accurately you playing him as the victim is laughable. He had chances and balked on what he said his goals were repeatedly. Let him be a great fighter, don’t play the victim for him, it’s weak.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not making excuses for Golovkin he is going to make a record number of defences so has done well considering Sturm avoiding him.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not making excuses for Golovkin he is going to make a record number of defences so has done well considering Sturm avoiding him.
    Well, someone will have to do some serious digging if non major title defenses count because if they count for GGG they should count for everyone.

I just hope after this Canelo train wreck is over he fights some of the best in the division because that’s the fighter I wanted him to be. Line em up, nobody is avoiding him now. Let’s see greatness, that’s what we watch sports for.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The division has been avoiding Spence for a couple of years. Thurman has completely avoided him while Porter and Garcia only talk each other or a Thurman rematch. Supposedly Spence said he is willing to fight Vargas if those two don’t want him. It’s about the next best fight he could take.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind him fighting Broner just because I think that Spence could be the guy to stop him and end his career. I’m also wondering if the winner of the Pacquiao and Matthysse fight will get into the mix.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Waiting for Sturm? I’m not sure why anyone would care about Sturm. A Sturm win doesn’t change GGGs CV much. Sturm was basically a European champion that had a world belt or 3.I’m sure you have figured out my moniker on the other site. You can find me in a thread I believe titled “Other than Martinez who is best at MW” where I said I thought GGG was the best at the weight including Martinez. This was when GGG was largely unknown and Martinez had just picked up his belt, before hiding.Some day people will realize these belts don’t mean much. In the end fighters are remembered for who they fought. The 4 horsemen are the 4 horsemen for fighting each other.
    If you are going up the rankings and are aiming for one of the champions then you do have to wait for him. Of course in hindsight Golovkin could have gone for another champion but it is like waiting for a bus, you have invested the time that you do not want to take another route.
    Good analogy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bit of a loaded title to start avoiding him right away isn't it . The good thing is Porter, Garcia, Thurman and Spence jr are at least lining up on Showtime...network means a lot...within little over a month from each other. If anything it may be Crawford who Arum helps freeze out from 3 other PBC champs. I doubt and really hope they don't maneuver Spence into another 'homecoming' showcase like last night. I get it but when Jerry Jones has more time in the ring with him than the opponent did they cannot make that habit. Thurman will take his TBA and surely disappear until 2019 if of course he doesn't break a nail. To me Spence jr v Crawford is all that matters.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unlike GGG he is American which would likely mean bigger money fights. I think they will all avoid each other until there is a big payday on offer.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spence is gonna get his fights. I feel he will test Canelo one day within the next two years. Crawford will also be in the offing, but I feel it is not ripe yet to make mega bucks.

Thurman, Garcia, Andrade and Charlo are also fights that can be made. Porter too.

I don't see Porter ducking Spence. I also think Garcia would take the fight for the right amount of money. The Crawford fight is a MUST happen, more so than a Thurman fight.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information