Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikey Garcia is a boss

Spence versus Garcia is nuts. He didn't look unbeatable against Lipinets, 140 looks too much for him. 147 against a massive welterweight who might be at 154 soon is crazy. I hope this is just him getting publicity.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey Garcia says "I definitely do get excited for a fight against Errol Spence"

In the lead-up to his fight in March vs. Sergey Lipinets, Mikey Garcia started discussing a showdown against IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. The boxing public thought Garcia was biting off a little bit too much considering he hadn't yet even stepped inside the ring with the IBF junior welterweight champion. Garcia had the last laugh that night, dominating throughout to capture the 140-pound belt and win his fourth world title in four different weight classes.

After the fight, Garcia vacated the title and decided to move back to down to 135 pounds to defend his WBC title on July 28 in a title unification bout vs. WBA champion Robert Easter Jr. If Garcia emerges victorious then he will pursue a Spence fight in December because of the high stakes it would bring, and the will to be the best.

"I definitely do get excited for a fight against Errol Spence," Garcia tells Sporting News. "That would be an exciting fight for me because it’s a big challenge. It would be the biggest challenge of my career. I’m already fighting guys at 140 and I can tell the size advantage they have over me and it is a significant one. That’s part of being a fighter and part of my challenge to myself. I want to take on those challenges and moving up even more to 147 pounds and being in the welterweight division, I’m not just going to go in there and just face a contender."

Garcia (38-0, 30 KOs) has never competed at 147 pounds. He's mainly competed at featherweight along with three fights at junior lightweight, two at junior welterweight and one at lightweight.

Why would Garcia want to jump up two weight divisions and battle one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world and perhaps the best pure boxer in the sport?

"It’s just the fact that people count me out and people don’t think I’m big or good enough," Garcia explains. "I get to prove people wrong and display my skills to show the world how great of a fighter I am. If I just go out and make title defenses against contenders, that’s fine. There’s no problem in doing that. But, I’m expected to win those and that doesn't excite me. When it’s a tougher fight and a big challenge that people might expect me to lose, that’s what excites and motivates me. And that’s why I’m willing to move up to two divisions.

"That’s why I moved up to 140 pounds and that’s why I actually was considering the Miguel Cotto fight last year. It didn't work out and the negotiations didn't go well, so we didn't get that fight, but I was willing and serious about moving up. I’m very serious about moving up to welterweight and challenge for a title there. Some people don’t think I’m serious and that’s ok because when I do get the opportunity and I do jump up to welterweight, I’m going to surprise a lot of people. Hopefully it is Errol Spence because that’s the one that excites me the most and I would love that opportunity."

Before he can start negotiations for a Spence fight, Garcia has to get through a tough test in the unbeaten Easter (21-0, 14 KOs). The four-division world champion realizes the challenge in front of him. It's fights like this he wants for the remainder of his career.

"I want big fights, that’s all I want," Garcia says. "I want to be in title fights and defeating champions like Robert Easter and give the fans the exciting fights to look forward to. "I want to fight the best guys, the champions and that includes Errol Spence. I would love that opportunity. I think it’s very possible we can make it happen."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ant...144700641.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thinking more on it I think it's crazy talk now. Almost comes off as a self righteous diva reading his press well ahead of time. And why should Spence cater to a puffed up lightweight who's basing his welterweight prospects on trouncing a Broner who still hasn't won a big fight. Just look at his frame at 140? When your hips are nearly as wide as your shoulders you might want to put the brakes on. Like Spence is just some belt warming chump needing to bask in Mikey's shadow while his 147 division is a shark tank. Division leaping has always jacked my jaw. Spence hammers him like a nail.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt Spence gives him the time of day unless Garcia fights a legit contender at welterweight and beats him.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love Mikey but also feel Spence may be a step to far. It would be great tho to see a fighter challenging themselves like this, if it's not just talk and promotion.

Spence might be to much but what about the Pac/ Matthysee winner? It gives Mikey another title in another weight division and still builds towards a Spence fight.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I doubt Spence gives him the time of day unless Garcia fights a legit contender at welterweight and beats him.
    If Garcia really is serious about the fight then Spence will take it in a flash. It's an easy fight for him and a big event due to Garcia moving up so much in weight. It'll be on Showtime for decent money too.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It ain't going to happen but will make up for the lost time.
    Still feel like it won’t happen? They’re both talking about it now

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It ain't going to happen but will make up for the lost time.
    Still feel like it won’t happen? They’re both talking about it now
    I love it when people take huge risks, but I think it’s a step too far. I think there are good fights at 140 for him. If he really wants to go up to welter, he needs to fight a top 10 guy first to prove that he can hang with other fighters at the weight. If he can, I’m all for the fight.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey is a hell of a fighter but he is not serious about a fight with Spence..keeps his name in the headlines..that’s all that matters.

Why doesn’t he call out a smaller welter in Crawford..?

We would all prefer a fight with Lomachenko..why not make that fight?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Mikey is a hell of a fighter but he is not serious about a fight with Spence..keeps his name in the headlines..that’s all that matters.

Why doesn’t he call out a smaller welter in Crawford..?

We would all prefer a fight with Lomachenko..why not make that fight?
    Loma and Crawford are with Arum, that is why.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been busy at work so I haven’t been on here as much as I’d like recently. Seems like things have changed to a degree. Are we REALLY bashing Mikey Garcia for fighting Errol Spence and not Crawford or Lima?!?!?!

I think Spence is a bridge too far for the smaller and less athletic Garcia, but that just makes me admire Mikey’s desire to be great and fight the best. We always whine and complain about guys avoiding tough competition and not taking chances. Well, this is what it looks like when a guy dares to be great.

I like both guys and hope that regardless of who wins neither suffers serious injury and both continue to push themselves and search out the best. Just like when Pac Man went on his tear during his prime, enjoy these two while you can.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly don't see anyone "bashing" Garcia, as everyone is singing his praises. I think everyone's just being realistic about Garcia's chances against an elite fighter two divisions above him, especially when there are other daunting challenges before that. In this day and age of people moving up 3 and 4 weight divisions, this is nothing new. But guys normally don't skip divisions on the way up. Just 'cause Khan and Brook went on suicide missions against Ginger and GGG, respectively, doesn't mean it's a wise, sensible boxing move.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Been busy at work so I haven’t been on here as much as I’d like recently. Seems like things have changed to a degree. Are we REALLY bashing Mikey Garcia for fighting Errol Spence and not Crawford or Lima?!?!?!

I think Spence is a bridge too far for the smaller and less athletic Garcia, but that just makes me admire Mikey’s desire to be great and fight the best. We always whine and complain about guys avoiding tough competition and not taking chances. Well, this is what it looks like when a guy dares to be great.

I like both guys and hope that regardless of who wins neither suffers serious injury and both continue to push themselves and search out the best. Just like when Pac Man went on his tear during his prime, enjoy these two while you can.
    Using an extreme example, imagine Garcia wanting to fight AJ or Wilder. I would guess that we would all think that it was beyond ridiculous because he would have absolutely no chance of winning. Even if he wanted to achieve greatness, it would turn into a sideshow rather than boxing.

I’m not saying Garcia vs Spence is at all to that extreme, but daring to be great needs to be realistically great. It’s not impossible for Garcia to win, but extremely improbable IMO. If he could just prove that he could beat at least one top welter, then I would be alright with the fight.

If this were back in the 40’s or 50’s, I would have no problem with it. People moved throughout weight classes a lot and fought a ton. The problem now is that it is almost a waste of a fight where he could be fighting other good fighters at his weight.

I’m a huge Garcia fan, but this is just a step too far right now for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    He could be the modern day Henry Armstrong
    Beat me to it. On one hand today's fighters are supposed to be better, yet they sniffle of the thought of being outweighed by 4-10lbs.

Thread Information