0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikey Garcia is a boss

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Mikey wants a mega fight and I totally get that. It's deserved and he's done nothing but win. But I think that's what a lot of the talk is about. Not to long ago what, he was talking about fighting Cotto. Didn't he balk at Golden boy too? I mean at some point in this boxing swamp you have to deal with people you may not be able to stomach. At least to a degree. Spence is simple convenience with same network, promotions and evidently an available date. But I wouldn't pay for it, not a dollar. What gets me is the Showtime announce team and Spence talk about a potential Mikey 'event' like it's a showcase side project as they sit there hyping Spence unification early next year with Garcia v Porter winner. Again same network etc.

I don't know about trinket collecting legitimizing a guy as one of an era. Many many guys have won multiple division belts. Crazy thing is Mikey wins them and until last Saturday he has walked away from them. Mikey is a fantastic talent and a genuinely straight forward guy but I look at 140 on that 5'6 frame and he's simply not bulking on 147+ and walking onto Spence like he did Easter and Lipinets. It'll end brutally for him.
    Mikey is completely willing to deal with them. He just isn’t willing to sign extended promotion contracts beyond the fight he works with them. That is completely fair.

I’m not sure why Mikey should have to sell his career to get a fight. Frankly, it’s extortion by the promoters.
    No fighter should be swindled into a long term binding deal for the sake of one weekend, we learned that from King. Mikey says completely willing, Arum has said he'll make an offer, and around and around we go. What I want is to see some desire from both Loma and Mikey regarding one of the better match ups of this era..in a proper weight class. Call out Arum and show some fire for a legitimate mega fight instead of the default 'whelp dad says no so forget it'. Fans get tired of that and I'm hard pressed to think of many top 'elites' who are given instant slack while their best match up falls by the wayside.
    Again, you put the onus on the wrong guy. Mikey said “you say you’ll make an offer, make an offer” and crickets. It’s on Loma to tell his guy who said “we absolutely will not negotiate with Garcia” that he needs to negotiate with Garcia. You keep blaming the side that is willing while not blaming the side that is not willing.

Mikey deserves blame when Arum says “we offered a one off fight at his current rate per fight” but you and I both know Arum will not offer either the money Mikey makes it a fight without strings. So place the blame where we both know it belongs.
    If Mikey wants legacy and to be recognized as the 'great' fans talk about the responsibility is just as much on him. Like I said, I want to see the desire and calling out for it from both Loma and Garcia. Garcia thinking he'll just bounce around minus mega fights because he wants to fly strictly no strings at all attached unfortunately might just see him go down as a 'what it' because its not realistic with mass majority of promoters. No ones saying anyone should sell their soul but if a defining match is imo winnable and puts you on that pedastool, you may have to dance with the devil. I think Mikey's short changing himself and assume a possible Spence event goes the way many suspect. Mikey has some moments but natural size youth skill and power see Spence put hurt on him for win...then what? I do not realistically see him yet again shedding down to 135 and hitting a restart button on greatness. That body and roller coaster is catching up to him it's clear as day. Arum cares less about greatness as we already know he's shat.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey wants a mega fight and I totally get that. It's deserved and he's done nothing but win. But I think that's what a lot of the talk is about. Not to long ago what, he was talking about fighting Cotto. Didn't he balk at Golden boy too? I mean at some point in this boxing swamp you have to deal with people you may not be able to stomach. At least to a degree. Spence is simple convenience with same network, promotions and evidently an available date. But I wouldn't pay for it, not a dollar. What gets me is the Showtime announce team and Spence talk about a potential Mikey 'event' like it's a showcase side project as they sit there hyping Spence unification early next year with Garcia v Porter winner. Again same network etc.

I don't know about trinket collecting legitimizing a guy as one of an era. Many many guys have won multiple division belts. Crazy thing is Mikey wins them and until last Saturday he has walked away from them. Mikey is a fantastic talent and a genuinely straight forward guy but I look at 140 on that 5'6 frame and he's simply not bulking on 147+ and walking onto Spence like he did Easter and Lipinets. It'll end brutally for him.
    Mikey is completely willing to deal with them. He just isn’t willing to sign extended promotion contracts beyond the fight he works with them. That is completely fair.

I’m not sure why Mikey should have to sell his career to get a fight. Frankly, it’s extortion by the promoters.
    No fighter should be swindled into a long term binding deal for the sake of one weekend, we learned that from King. Mikey says completely willing, Arum has said he'll make an offer, and around and around we go. What I want is to see some desire from both Loma and Mikey regarding one of the better match ups of this era..in a proper weight class. Call out Arum and show some fire for a legitimate mega fight instead of the default 'whelp dad says no so forget it'. Fans get tired of that and I'm hard pressed to think of many top 'elites' who are given instant slack while their best match up falls by the wayside.
    Again, you put the onus on the wrong guy. Mikey said “you say you’ll make an offer, make an offer” and crickets. It’s on Loma to tell his guy who said “we absolutely will not negotiate with Garcia” that he needs to negotiate with Garcia. You keep blaming the side that is willing while not blaming the side that is not willing.

Mikey deserves blame when Arum says “we offered a one off fight at his current rate per fight” but you and I both know Arum will not offer either the money Mikey makes it a fight without strings. So place the blame where we both know it belongs.
    If Mikey wants legacy and to be recognized as the 'great' fans talk about the responsibility is just as much on him. Like I said, I want to see the desire and calling out for it from both Loma and Garcia. Garcia thinking he'll just bounce around minus mega fights because he wants to fly strictly no strings at all attached unfortunately might just see him go down as a 'what it' because its not realistic with mass majority of promoters. No ones saying anyone should sell their soul but if a defining match is imo winnable and puts you on that pedastool, you may have to dance with the devil. I think Mikey's short changing himself and assume a possible Spence event goes the way many suspect. Mikey has some moments but natural size youth skill and power see Spence put hurt on him for win...then what? I do not realistically see him yet again shedding down to 135 and hitting a restart button on greatness. That body and roller coaster is catching up to him it's clear as day. Arum cares less about greatness as we already know he's shat.
    What really sucks is Mikey has been a champ in 4 divisions, how many has he fought the best guy? Maybe 1, maybe 2. And only maybes. Hard to know really.

Loma has been a champ in 3 and he hasn’t fought the best guy in any of them.

This is the problem with the weight hopping. So yes, Mikey deserves blame on that front. But we need to be honest about this fight in particular. Mikey isn’t stopping a Loma fight, Arum is. Mikey is even talking with other people at TR because Bob and his son in law won’t even speak with him. That nonsense needs to be discussed.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

What I want is to see some desire from both Loma and Mikey regarding one of the better match ups of this era..in a proper weight class
    Both Loma and Linares did it for their bout and forced the promoters to get the fight done. I hope the same can happen here.

That 8/9 fight stretch for Mikey is looking pretty decent. Starting with Salido to win a 126 title, 2 fights later Roman Martinez to win a 130 title, 3 fights later Zlaticanin for a 135 title, 2 fights later Lipnets for a 140 title, then next fight a lightweight unification.
    An impressive run no doubt. Even more so considering he topped Salido prior to him getting the W over Loma. You cannot fault a guy for winning and Mikey does it in top notch fashion. But as said many guys being called 'future greats' collect trinkets and then can just bounce a division. We see it often. I don't put a lot of stock in Zlaticanin at 135 and while Lipinets is talented that was again a trinket grab vs a guy he was favored to beat. Again all the power to him but imo true legacy isn't measured by a belt count.
    I don't put much value in belts either, Zlaticanin and Easter were both undefeated rated fighters. Salido, Martinez, and possibly Broner, Lipinets were all considered top 10 guys at the time Garcia fought them.
    Looks like he's been ordered to face his mandatory in Commey who's a decent date. But more than likely Mikey will walk away from the belt he just won, interested to see what he does.
    Almost a sure thing that Mikey vacates, although with Loma coming back from injury, and potentially fighting the Beltran/ Pedraza winner, Mikey may choose to defend his title (Commey is very solid) and look towards a unification (and the fight we all want) early next year. That would be the ideal situation in my opinion.

If he want a big fight he should target Pacquiao, or even Linares (if he'd be ready to return in December).
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was listening to a pod cast from a week before the Easter fight. Mikey came across really well when discussing the Spence fight. Looks like he genuinely really wants it. Cant have anything but respect for a fighter looking to take on a challenge like that.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember Trinidad's original plan was to move from 147, and eventually face Jones at 168?

I'm riding shot gun with Mikey on his quest for greatness. Will it work out? I can't wait to find out.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember Trinidad's original plan was to move from 147, and eventually face Jones at 168?

I'm riding shot gun with Mikey on his quest for greatness. Will it work out? I can't wait to find out.
    Totally respect that and I do hope he does well. Tito was going one direction but also hit his wall after thrashing legitimate top 160 Joppy. To this day still cannot figure how so many thought he should be favored over Hopkins though.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Momentum, I would call it. Trinidad was riding the undefeated train and had just wrecked Joppy. Hopkins wasn't yet the household name he became after he defeated Trinidad. Unless you were totally familiar with Hopkins, who at the time had been MW champion for over 6 years, it wasn't that bad a mistake to make.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Momentum, I would call it. Trinidad was riding the undefeated train and had just wrecked Joppy. Hopkins wasn't yet the household name he became after he defeated Trinidad. Unless you were totally familiar with Hopkins, who at the time had been MW champion for over 6 years, it wasn't that bad a mistake to make.
    Yea the Joppy performance blinded many fans (myself included) to flaws that Hopkins was always going to be able to exploit. I didn't think it would be easy either way, but never predicted the spectacular performance Hopkins put on.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Yea the Joppy performance blinded many fans (myself included) to flaws that Hopkins was always going to be able to exploit. I didn't think it would be easy either way, but never predicted the spectacular performance Hopkins put on.

Devastating to his fans (myself included), but in retrospect not a bad loss in a HOF career. Hopkins, Winky, and Jones Jr..... with the latter being way late in Trinidad's (and Jones Jr.'s) careers and a weight where Trinidad didn't belong.
    Hopkins had been MW champ for over 6 years and after Trinidad, went on to hold on to his belts for 4 more years before moving on to super middleweight. No shame in losing to someone like that.
    Yes, Bernard put on the performance of a lifetime.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins went straight to 175 after the 2nd Taylor fight, although the Wright and Pavlik fights were at 170 catchweights.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearn says a 'great offer' has been made to sign Mikey Garcia

CHICAGO - Since he returned after a 2 1/2 layoff in July 2016 due to a lengthy legal battle with his former promotional outfit, Top Rank, Mikey Garcia has been a free agent.

Lately, Garcia has worked on a fight-by-fight basis with Richard Schaefer of Ringstar Sports and been advised by Al Haymon because he wanted to control his own destiny and do things on his own terms. However, that doesn't mean people aren't trying to get him to their roster. Those in pursuit have been Matchroom Boxing's Eddie Hearn, UFC president Dana White and even baseball legend Derek Jeter.

Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs) told Sporting News in July that he would put all of those conversations on hold until he got through his July 28 lightweight title unification bout with Robert Easter Jr. The WBC champion knocked Easter down in the third round and dominated throughout to win a unanimous decision to add the IBF belt to his collection. Now that the dust has settled, Hearn reveals that he is in pursuit to land the American superstar and put him on DAZN as part of the partnership between Matchroom and the streaming service owned by Perform Group.

"We are talking," Hearn told Sporting News. Hearn spoke to SN after Wednesday's press conference to officially announce the Oct. 6 card airing exclusively on DAZN headlined by Jessie Vargas vs. Thomas Dulorme. "I’ve made him another offer since his fight. A great offer. He’s a very smart guy. If he’s smart enough, he’ll take our offer. But, we’ll see. He’s definitely a fighter we want on DAZN. We want all the great pound-for-pound fighters on DAZN and he’s one of them."

After defeating Easter, Garcia immediately threw down the gauntlet to challenge Errol Spence Jr. to a showdown later this year for his IBF welterweight title. Garcia would be jumping up two weight classes to take on arguably the fastest rising star in boxing. While he'd love to have Spence in his stable, Hearn admits he hasn't talked with him at this time.

Hearn is hopeful to get Garcia into the fold because he feels he can do for him what others cannot.

"There are talks of the Errol Spence fight," Hearn said. "I think with Showtime, the rumors are that they’ve run out of money, not for the business, but in the terms of boxing for 2018. I think they’re being pushed into making pay-per-view fights that potentially shouldn't be pay-per-view fights, which would be bad for their overall business. Unless Mikey Garcia is getting a guarantee, which he deserves for that Errol Spence fight, I don’t think he will be given a guarantee of that kind of number. We will see. We have a plan for Mikey Garcia. We’d love to get him and we’ll see where it goes."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/edd...184733338.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If there’s a big fight in discussion of course Eddie is looking to block it. He has studied Arum well. Lie and block fights. Repeat.

At least he is charming about it though. Childish but charming

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins went straight to 175 after the 2nd Taylor fight, although the Wright and Pavlik fights were at 170 catchweights.
    Little different scenario though. If Mikey has started at 135 and stayed there many years then moved up it would be similar.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Little different scenario though. If Mikey has started at 135 and stayed there many years then moved up it would be similar.
    I was replying to Tito, who had said Hopkins had gone to 168.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was replying to Tito, who had said Hopkins had gone to 168.

Holy sh*t you're right! He just up and skipped over super middleweight and into light heavyweight. I stand corrected.
    That was impressive, going up and beating Tarver.

Thread Information