Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gun laws and hunting in the The UK

I know u guys have ur opinions on our guns in the US but I’d like to know something about the laws england. I’ll skip over hand guns as it sounds like they are near impossible to obtain. Correct me if I’m wrong but what about a rifle for hunting or shotgun for sport shooting. Is hunting big in england? Is it possible to get hunting rifles or are they also heavily restricted

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gun laws and hunting in the The UK

I watched Shaun of the Dead a half dozen times. I know they have at least one rifle.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the United Kingdom, access by the general public to firearms is tightly controlled by law which is much more restrictive than the minimum rules required by the European Firearms Directive, but it is less restrictive in Northern Ireland. The country has one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world. There were 0.05 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants in the five years to 2011 (15 to 38 people per annum). Gun homicides accounted for 2.4% of all homicides in the year 2011. There is some concern over the availability of illegal firearms.

Office for National Statistics figures show 7,866 offences in which firearms were involved in the year ending March 2015, 2% up on the previous year and the first increase in 10 years. Of these, 19 were fatalities, 10 fewer than the previous year and the lowest since records began in 1969. There was a further rise to 8,399 in the year ending March 2016, the highest number in four years, but significantly lower than the all-time high of 24,094 in 2003/04. Twenty-six resulted in fatal injuries.

Members of the public may own sporting rifles and shotguns, subject to licensing, but handguns were effectively banned after the Dunblane school massacre in 1996 with the exception of Northern Ireland. Dunblane was the UK's first and only school shooting. There has been one spree killing since Dunblane, the Cumbria shootings in June 2010, which involved a shotgun and a .22 caliber rifle, both legally-held. Prior to Dunblane though, there had only been one mass shooting carried out by a civilian in the entire history of Great Britain, which took place in Hungerford on 19 August 1987.

Police in the United Kingdom (aside from Northern Ireland) are not routinely armed. Fatal shootings of police are extremely rare; there were three in England and Wales in the eleven-year period from 2000/01 to 2010/11. Armed response units are available to deal with incidents, and as of the 31 March 2017 there were 6,278 armed officers serving in territorial police forces in England and Wales.

Handguns and fully automatic rifles are completely prohibited, as are semi automatic weapons over .22 (there are exceptions, such as slaughterhouses, items of historical interests, elite sports teams and animal culling)

Shotguns are permitted, subject to extensive vetting and the issuing of a licence. Many people living near me have shotguns.

All other rifles are permitted, but all are covered by the Firearms Act (including air rifles, interestingly)

If you are caught with a prohibited weapon - including just having live ammunition - or if you have another weapon without the right licence, you get an automatic 5 year jail sentence.

There are loads of pros and cons to this legislation, and I know it's a big issue in the US. We have hardly any gun crime here, but of course and logically have higher knife crime or acid attacks etc because people find it hard to get guns and/or are put off by the hefty jail sentence. Of course, some criminals still do have guns.
    Last edited by X; 07-12-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I watched Shaun of the Dead a half dozen times. I know they have at least one rifle.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    The bit of decoration at The Winchester?

Quote Originally Posted by X
    Handguns and fully automatic rifles are completely prohibited, as are semi automatic weapons over .22 (there are exceptions, such as slaughterhouses, items of historical interests, elite sports teams and animal culling)
    Interesting. In the US you must have a license for a handgun (well to legally own one you do). To own a fully automatic rifle there's a lot of hoops one has to jump through in order to get that privilege and it requires random audits from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms....class 3 licenses are difficult to obtain in the best cases and impossible to obtain in the worst cases. It depends greatly on where you live and who is in charge of your area and how comfortable they are with handing out such licenses.

Judging from that you guys ALMOST could have AR-15s, almost....they are just a smidge above .22

I'm not certain if knife crime would increase in the US if guns were banned, I do know gun crime would spike dramatically as a full on gun ban wouldn't be accepted by the populace especially members of that populace who are armed.

It is crazy the knife laws in the UK, there's not an adult male that I know in the United States who doesn't carry a knife at all times. But then again none of those folks that I'm talking about are in gangs.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks x let me ask this if I may. When handguns became illegal in 97, including starter pistols under blar I hear, what happened to the legal owners? I did read the government bought back 162,000 guns and anyone in possession of a pistol is subject to 5 years in prison did some of the previous legal own. Did some decide to keep them or did the government seek them out? I just ask this out of curiosity not critique. You may do as you wish but was the populace in favor of this or were they protesting? I just wonder how it was handled when someone held something legally and it turned illegal.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not completely sure what happened to all the guns in 1997, but there have been numerous 'amnesties' when people can hand in illegal weapons with no questions asked. I don't know if the police bought them? They then had a huge clampdown on guns, and put lots of people in jail for a long time.

Quite a few people, mainly gun clubs and enthusiasts, were unhappy and tried to get some exemptions etc (which they succeeded in)

There were not big mass protests, and most of the population was in favour because they were genuinely appalled at what happened at Dunblane School and were determined nothing like that should happen again in Britain.

I quite like guns, and I have fired many different ones for many years ..... but when I'm in the pub with my wife and things get a bit drunkenly heated I'm normally glad that the mouthy little shit starting all the trouble probably doesn't have a hidden handgun on him.

Im talking about the UK here ... I have NOTHING to say about US gun laws

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    It is crazy the knife laws in the UK, there's not an adult male that I know in the United States who doesn't carry a knife at all times. But then again none of those folks that I'm talking about are in gangs.

You can buy any knife you like here, but there are some restrictions on what you can have in your pocket in public places.

You can also carry a knife in the UK in public. I think it needs to have a blade 3 inches or less, and to be of a folding type. I.e. No switchblades etc.

You have to be over 18 to buy a knife, but nobody pays that much attention as I bought a nice lock knife for my 10 year old nephew at a country fair last week. He chose it, handed it over to the guy, I bought it and he then put it in his pocket. I suspect people just use a bit of common sense about this.

I think the idea is that people can carry a knife that is a tool, so whittling/fishing/farming/fruit peeling/general handiness is ok - but not a knife that might be primarily a weapon, or that can be quickly deployed in a fit of temper.

I do think it's a bit too much interference, but it's the gang members weapon of choice at the moment and they are trying to defuse that arms race (with arguable success to be honest)

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I'm not completely sure what happened to all the guns in 1997, but there have been numerous 'amnesties' when people can hand in illegal weapons with no questions asked. I don't know if the police bought them? They then had a huge clampdown on guns, and put lots of people in jail for a long time.

Quite a few people, mainly gun clubs and enthusiasts, were unhappy and tried to get some exemptions etc (which they succeeded in)

There were not big mass protests, and most of the population was in favour because they were genuinely appalled at what happened at Dunblane School and were determined nothing like that should happen again in Britain.

I quite like guns, and I have fired many different ones for many years ..... but when I'm in the pub with my wife and things get a bit drunkenly heated I'm normally glad that the mouthy little shit starting all the trouble probably doesn't have a hidden handgun on him.

Im talking about the UK here ... I have NOTHING to say about US gun laws
    No I’m not even thinking US gun laws as I pose these questions I just want to know how it went down. I have no idea how many brits had guns in 96 and how it was handled gathering them in 97. I did look into it a little and see they had government buybacks which the US does, no questions asked at times to get guns off the streets. It’s more interesting hearing it from one of you then reading up on it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is there good hunting in the UK? What variety of game?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    No hunting it is all banned
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    A lot of birds, pheasants, Grouse, Ducks and then Deer, and Rabbits etc. Just across the water in France they still have wild boar which they hunt a lot but in the UK they are only starting to be re-established so while you can hunt them with the land owners permission, it's still not common.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone ever eaten grouse? I don’t care for venison, rabbits are cute, ducks I eat but only at restaurants. I am no longer a hunter, I’m not against those who hunt and harvest I just don’t do it. I am curious about grouse as I guy I know ate one in an extreme survival challenge.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Anyone ever eaten grouse? I don’t care for venison, rabbits are cute, ducks I eat but only at restaurants. I am no longer a hunter, I’m not against those who hunt and harvest I just don’t do it. I am curious about grouse as I guy I know ate one in an extreme survival challenge.
    Lots of people have eaten grouse. why has Master said it is totally banned and someone else said there was plenty of hunting? Shirley both of those scenarios cannot be correct

I smell a fish.

Anyhow I am against hunting unless you have no food left to eat for survival

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Lots of people have eaten grouse. why has Master said it is totally banned and someone else said there was plenty of hunting? Shirley both of those scenarios cannot be correct

I smell a fish.

Anyhow I am against hunting unless you have no food left to eat for survival
    Fish can be hunted and don't call me Shirley.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information