Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joshua v Povetkin - it’s Official.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joshua v Povetkin - it’s Official.

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Joshua was involved in expletive-laden exchanges at one of the now customary press conference face-offs this week - but it didn't involve Povetkin.

Instead, Joshua had to square up to another boxer, Jarrell 'Big Baby' Miller, after the American invaded the stage in New York during the launch of DAZN.

Joshua, who has until now cultivated a clean-cut image rather than engage in the customary trash talk, shouted at Miller: "Who you f------ talking to, shut the f--- up and get off the stage, you little b----. I'll slap you. Have some respect."

Miller has wanted to face Joshua for a while now. He is ranked No 3 with the IBF and WBA and remains a viable opponent for Joshua.

"I walked up on him, and whispered behind him: 'you're a punk, let's make it happen'," Miller later told Sky Sports.

"I'm not Dominic Breazeale, man. I want it. I would whoop him at Wembley.

"Listen Britain - you've seen fake models. You'll see the real model, the people's champ, not the one-time English champ. The world champ - that's me."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ant...093748391.html
    Did anybody notice how cold and focused Povetkin was? He just stood there waiting for all the bullshit to die out.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

El Kabong Guest

Big Baby needs to drop some of the baby weight. I like him as a fighter but come on man, get serious, be a professional you'll last longer and do better in the sport!

If the AJ-Povetkin fight actually happens, I think it might have one or two explosive rounds but it'll be a cagey match. There's a small chance Povetkin gets absolutely knocked cold, there's a similar chance he stops AJ early, I believe AJ will look to avoid Povetkin's early attacks and take control over the later rounds. Povetkin MUST keep his hands free, he MUST keep his balance, he MUST keep his head moving...I think at this time AJ is not as focused as Wlad was when he fought Povetkin, it could mean a loss, it could mean a lackluster fight, it could mean nothing, but I believe there's more of an opportunity for Povetkin now but the problem is Povetkin is older, slower, and there's mountains of video of the guy fighting and his fighting style so it gives AJ plenty of opportunity to practice and prepare.

I'm going to say IF they fight Povetkin will be valiant but out gunned...AJ may get shook a time or two (probably not) but he'll play the long game and slowly wear Povetkin down for either a wide UD or a late but unsurprising stoppage.

Wilder needs to get out there and fight some names, get on the ball my man.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Joshua was involved in expletive-laden exchanges at one of the now customary press conference face-offs this week - but it didn't involve Povetkin.

Instead, Joshua had to square up to another boxer, Jarrell 'Big Baby' Miller, after the American invaded the stage in New York during the launch of DAZN.

Joshua, who has until now cultivated a clean-cut image rather than engage in the customary trash talk, shouted at Miller: "Who you f------ talking to, shut the f--- up and get off the stage, you little b----. I'll slap you. Have some respect."

Miller has wanted to face Joshua for a while now. He is ranked No 3 with the IBF and WBA and remains a viable opponent for Joshua.

"I walked up on him, and whispered behind him: 'you're a punk, let's make it happen'," Miller later told Sky Sports.

"Listen Britain - you've seen fake models. You'll see the real model, the people's champ, not the one-time English champ. The world champ - that's me."

Did anybody notice how cold and focused Povetkin was? He just stood there waiting for all the bullshit to die out.
    Yes just like Drago in the Rocky film.

AJ will batter him. Povetkin's best years are way behind him and without the juice he will be lucky to survive.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Povetkin will be lucky to last 6 rounds.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Outside of Wlad I consider this AJ's toughest opponent.

In saying that Povetkin is no spring chicken and hasn't really been pushed since his PED saga, so we don't really know how much he has slipped.

In my opinion Povetkin is very live opponent.

I also see AJ playing it safe until the opportunity presents itself, unless AJ wobbles Sasha I think he keeps it tight and contained, boxing a smart game plan.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LMAO....... the blubbery "Big Baby" wanting to steal some of AJ's and Povetkin's thunder Rocky cliche movie style.

That's the only thing he's good for, disrupting events that aren't his..... 'cause he sure as shit can't fight.

Get in line and grab a number, Fat Boy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll give it to Miller, it beats doing it on twitter and lame videos counting 'likes'. Also step in right direction as Miller just opted to go wba route and top 3 across the board for AJ..I smell something cooking . Povetkin should not be slept on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

is teddy still training Povetkin? This is an interesting enough gatekeeper fight, but enormously more interesting had it happened years ago.
    "...went 12 rounds with Ali, and never took a backwards step."

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hfahrenheit View Post
    is teddy still training Povetkin? This is an interesting enough gatekeeper fight, but enormously more interesting had it happened years ago.
    No that ended a couple years ago....I think even before the Wlad fight. Teddy like Povetkin and Povetkin liked Teddy but the entourage with Povetkin made that relationship untenable.

I'd really like for Teddy or Kevin Rooney to get another top fighter out there. Everyone loves that style of fighter especially at the heavyweight level. I don't think there have been many since Tyson who have had enough explosive speed and power to do well with that style.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    No that ended a couple years ago....I think even before the Wlad fight. Teddy like Povetkin and Povetkin liked Teddy but the entourage with Povetkin made that relationship untenable.

I'd really like for Teddy or Kevin Rooney to get another top fighter out there. Everyone loves that style of fighter especially at the heavyweight level. I don't think there have been many since Tyson who have had enough explosive speed and power to do well with that style.
    Rooney is a good question. Can't remember much except him with Jeremy Williams early. They packaged him same seek and destroy style, all jokes aside Williams could punch, fire in the belly and fast but his achilles heel was that achilles chin. I think what gets less billing with Tyson was his reflex and speed and cannot see anyone today with the systems engrained in them. The guy could knock down chimneys but his delivery and placement were exceptional under them.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Rooney is a good question. Can't remember much except him with Jeremy Williams early. They packaged him same seek and destroy style, all jokes aside Williams could punch, fire in the belly and fast but his achilles heel was that achilles chin. I think what gets less billing with Tyson was his reflex and speed and cannot see anyone today with the systems engrained in them. The guy could knock down chimneys but his delivery and placement were exceptional under them.
    Leonard Pierre Anasta a Middleweight/Jr Middleweight from Haiti and Thomas Hayes a heavyweight from Chicago were guys who Rooney was training and had SOME success before finding their level.

Maybe Rooney should work with the amateurs more IDK. That style has it's pros and cons, but when it's effective it's a glorious thing to behold. With heavyweights being taller and lankier than ever a style where you give such a small target and come in "under the radar" so to speak would be very nice for smaller or shorter heavyweights.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    It's a step up on recent opposition.
    Get out of here with that.

He's either faced or signed to fight 6 of the top 7 ranked fighters plus Wladimir Klitschko. Literally the only guy he hasn't faced or tried to fight is Ortiz and even then, Ortiz was signed by Matchroom and had ample opportunity to impress on Matchroom cards, but stank the place out- killing any potential AJ fight.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad was shot and who were these other opponents? Would Povetkin not have beaten them too? Maybe Povetkin is shot too though. James Toney eats Joshua for breakfast.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad was shot and who were these other opponents? Would Povetkin not have beaten them too? Maybe Povetkin is shot too though. James Toney eats Joshua for breakfast.
    That is because James Toney eats everything for breakfast.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

C'mon Miles. Wlad was not shot. The famous "catch-all" for all fighters who lose.

Wlad was the most energized I had seen in years. After more than a decade of peek-a-boo fighting against terrified opponents and a "holy hell" stinker against Fury...... Wlad came to fight. It was like someone had stolen Wlad's body and decided to do something with it. The best heavyweight championship fight since before Wlad's boring reign, and I thank both fighters for it. Wlad may have been a little long in the tooth, though certainly not for today's HW division. But he was absolutely not shot.

Thread Information