Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could be any boxer, which boxing style would you have?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If you could be any boxer, which boxing style would you have?

Mines would be Terry Norris.

The speed, combinations, power, footwork and all round confidence/cockiness.

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If you could be any boxer, which boxing style would you have?

Roy Jones.

Looks flashy..and the flying hooks, flying uppercuts and triple hooks are out of a cartoon..in his prime he had no defense because his speed and reflexes were so unique they were his defense.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I forgot about him.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marvin Hagler. Great boxing skills backed up by murderous punching power, great stamina/endurance, cast iron chin, and a legit mean streak. Evander Holyfield, Mike McAllum, BHop, and James Toney are all right there also.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't want to have to depend on my chin to get me through, so although Hagler is a definite ATG, no Hagler for me. I'd go with Jones Jr., or a SRL, although Norris is a fabulous choice as well. Leonard is close to a TBE for me... so probably him. He fought the best and beat the best. He only got KO'd when he kept fighting beyond his years, as many have done. He was the consummate boxer, but could summon the power when needed. He also retired with all his faculties.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leonard and Roy are great picks, and as usual Master makes a solid and for me the most interesting pick with Terry Norris. When I competed I was never blessed with the athleticism of those types of fighters, so I’ve always gravitated to the guys who had to make their way on toughness and work ethic. That being said, I love the beauty of, and am at times slightly jealous of, the things guys like Roy, Ray, and Terry can/could do in the ring.

Terry Norris is fascinating to me, because he was such a great boxer but at the same time was vulnerable due to his chin and fighters mentality. Much like Tommy Hearns, Terry was so damn fast and good that he could box circles around you, but the guy had a mean streak and craved the ko. He often would get himself in trouble only after he had the other guy ready to go.

I always wished Terry had gotten the Tito, JCC, Oscar...etc. fights like he wanted. Great fighter and interesting pick.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You also made me think of Hagler.

What if he had the silver spoon treatment Leonard had? I know Hagler resented how Sugar Ray had the red carpet treatment whereas Marvin was a blue collar worker who had to fight hardest opponents out there just to get a title shot.

If Marvin had it easier he would have fought on for longer and held a title far earlier. Marvin was a beautiful boxer who had speed and skill and only relied on his chin later in his career to walk through his opponents.

Hagler may have been the ultimate ATG.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

What if he had the silver spoon treatment Leonard had? I know Hagler resented how Sugar Ray had the red carpet treatment whereas Marvin was a blue collar worker who had to fight hardest opponents out there just to get a title shot.

If Marvin had it easier he would have fought on for longer and held a title far earlier. Marvin was a beautiful boxer who had speed and skill and only relied on his chin later in his career to walk through his opponents.

Hagler was definitely a great boxer and had underrated speed. You make a great point about Marvin getting a shot earlier and the impact that would’ve had on his status/legacy. I wonder if Hagler didn’t need his experiences and disappointments though to fuel his fire and develop the skills and mindset that made him who he was. Basically, would he have been as great as he was without that giant chip on his shoulder...?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post

Hagler was definitely a great boxer and had underrated speed. You make a great point about Marvin getting a shot earlier and the impact that would’ve had on his status/legacy. I wonder if Hagler didn’t need his experiences and disappointments though to fuel his fire and develop the skills and mindset that made him who he was. Basically, would he have been as great as he was without that giant chip on his shoulder...?
    Good question but I think he would have been great but may have retired earlier with so much money in the bank.

The same question could be asked of your other favourite fighter B Hop.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll always think Hagler must regret the way he fought the Leonard fight. It was mystifying to see someone with that kind of granite chin, decide not to just walk Leonard down and see whether Ray could trade shots with him. Granted, we're talking about one of the best, if not THE best of all time..... but Hagler had his opportunities. It's telling that this was his last fight in boxing. Blame the refs all you want, Marvin..... but you left a lot of things undone in there. He had to know better than that. Not taking any credit away from Leonard, who for me has absolutely one of the very best resumes in boxing history. But Hagler definitely must have wanted that one back as a "do over".

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I'll always think Hagler must regret the way he fought the Leonard fight. It was mystifying to see someone with that kind of granite chin, decide not to just walk Leonard down and see whether Ray could trade shots with him. Granted, we're talking about one of the best, if not THE best of all time..... but Hagler had his opportunities. It's telling that this was his last fight in boxing. Blame the refs all you want, Marvin..... but you left a lot of things undone in there. He had to know better than that. Not taking any credit away from Leonard, who for me has absolutely one of the very best resumes in boxing history. But Hagler definitely must have wanted that one back as a "do over".
    I think Hagler's biggest mistake was fighting in an orthodox stance which he did for about 5 rounds.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think Hagler's biggest mistake was fighting in an orthodox stance which he did for about 5 rounds.

To my point. He never did that against anybody else. Why the "experimental pussy-footing" around against someone who's obviously going to get the nod from the judges if the fight is anywhere near close??

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking back at Hagler career he did lose some early fights which he later avenged but could he have lived with Jose Napoles, Rodrigo Valdes and Carlos Jonson in the mid to late 1970's?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Butterbean

Thread Information