Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bad splinter problem

Hey this is prob weird to ask here but I’m at a loss. I’ve been getting my house up to code Incase we move, my water pressure was running at damn near 120 while it shouldn’t be higher than 80 and most new houses have a housing code around 65. Alright anyway I put in this pressure control valve which allows you to change the water pressure coming into the house. I then had to put in an expansion tank as my pipes would rattle when it came out of the main and into that valve I installed so the expansion tank relieved the excess pressure and for now no rattle and water pressure will pass any inspection. Here is the rub. When I first installed the tank I had a leak at the tee going into the tank. Dummy me ran my finger around the pipe to feel how wet it was and I filled my thumb up with small, curly, copper splinters. Painful bastards on my already messed up hand. I got tweezers, a magnifying glass and a small razor and did a self surgery and was able to get several of the painful bastards out. I thought I got them all but now when I touch something I get that sharp pain so I know more splinters are hiding deep down. I can’t cut any deeper and I can’t see it anyway. I called my family doc to see if he could remove it but he said I need to go to a walk in clinic as only they and hospitals have the tools to do it.

So I wrote this long as stanza just to see if any of you ever have had to have a splinter removed by a doctor cause I don’t know what kind of special tool they use and emergency clinics won’t tell you over the phone. Since it’s metal and I’m good with tetanus I was thinking of leaving it as sometimes your body will push it out during healing but I see it’s getting a little infected. If it’s a thorn or any type of plant thing you can’t leave them in as your body sees they were alive and your autoimmune system can freak out causing bigger problems. Yes, as u can see I’m becoming a splinter expert. I would appreciate some input from anyone who may have gone through this. It really is a painful bastard, I was off today and was going to spar a bit with a buddy but I can’t get a glove on it hurts too much. What a pain in the ass little shards of copper can be. I wonder if anyone will read this long winded diatribe

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bad splinter problem

They will come out eventually or use a magnet.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A needle and alcohol, bro. (Some for you..... some for the needle). Gotta do it the old-fashioned way, I'm afraid. Needle swabbed with alcohol and poke at the surrounding skin until you can see enough to grab the sliver with the tweezers. Not a pleasant process but look at it this way..... you haven't felt anything until you step full-foot on a sea urchin. The spines on those damn things are totally barbed, and don't come out just like that. Did that once while skin diving and negotiating some very shallow coral reefs many years ago. Had my heel full of the damn things. But I diverted. It's your thumb and copper slivers, right. Needle and alcohol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Self-surgery a-la predator?
    Seriously, why won't you go and get it done in a proper clinic or hospital instead? Your hand will be thankful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    They'll come flyyying out!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Copper's not magnetic, my metallurgically-challenged friend.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

He probably means a magic super hero comic book magnet that is not a magnet. Like a giant hand or an alien squid.

'They will come out eventually or use magic or a giant hand or an alien squid'

Walrus just go to the clinic surely? Your hand has to be worth that?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

He probably means a magic super hero comic book magnet that is not a magnet. Like a giant hand or an alien squid.

'They will come out eventually or use magic or a giant hand or an alien squid'

Walrus just go to the clinic surely? Your hand has to be worth that?
    Well yeah I think I’m going tomorrow as I did the self surgery thing and got most of it but I had to cut deep and I don’t think I can cut deeper without worrying about hitting a ligament. I’m just curious what the hell they use. I know they will numb it which will help but if I cut it up and looked with a magnifying glass and couldn’t find it what the hec do they do. Perhaps it’s just cause they studied shit like that and have done it a shitload of times. I guess I’m curious of the process and was hoping someone actually went through it which may assuage my anxiety about the whole thing. Plus having to go to a walk in place may very well mean I spend several hours sitting waiting to get a damn splinter out which seems like a waste of life

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In your work the hands are the real tools. Find the smallest surgical needle but you might just break it up or push further in not to mention infection. Tweezers too fat. Hit a clinic and trusted hands of a Doc with the huge magnifying head thingy.

Sounds weird but I get hair splinters all the time at work depending on what breeds we're working with. Cocker hair is a son of a batch. They get under your nails, jammed deep between fingers and surprisingly can hurt like shat. We have to dig into the 25 gauge heads to dig everything out. Occasionally use a fine tip dental scaler.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    In your work the hands are the real tools. Find the smallest surgical needle but you might just break it up or push further in not to mention infection. Tweezers too fat. Hit a clinic and trusted hands of a Doc with the huge magnifying head thingy.

Sounds weird but I get hair splinters all the time at work depending on what breeds we're working with. Cocker hair is a son of a batch. They get under your nails, jammed deep between fingers and surprisingly can hurt like shat. We have to dig into the 25 gauge heads to dig everything out. Occasionally use a fine tip dental scaler.
    Hey @Spicoli you ever know anyone go to a doc to do this. I dig deep to get some of it out I’m just concerned he is going to have to really cut deep to find this bastard and need a couple stitches. Usually web md gives me an idea of the process but I’m not getting the info I need. If the incision is too deep I’ll prob need a day or two off which isn’t the end of the world especially if we got any boxing this weekend

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Walrus, you really need to be more careful. Your accident habits are far too frequent. If you are not sure what you are doing, just pay a poorer person to do the job for you. They need the money more than you.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miles I hear u but projects like this aren’t so much about money but the feeling of accomplishment when u get it done and it’s right. This one was more stressful as I had everything together right only to find additional parts to relieve more pressure were needed which meant I had to take apart half of what I had just done. I estimate the water must have been coming in at 130 140 at the main, where I measured at the sink was around 105 or so. I couldn’t measure pressure right at the main.

Anyway, this time all I did was touch the connection to feel for a leak. Such a simple one second turn of the fingers created this pain in the ass. Worse thing is Fenster does not give one shit I have splinters, even if I get a massive infection and die a slow horrible death. If fenster cared I think this burden would be easier to carry.
    Last edited by walrus; 08-10-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ass Magnet
    Walrus did a Dragnet
    #Candle Sphyncter
    Run that iodine tincture

On his forklift balls

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Walrus, you really need to be more careful. Your accident habits are far too frequent. If you are not sure what you are doing, just pay a poorer person to do the job for you. They need the money more than you.
    It was a constant bone of contention when we were speaking.

1. Doesn't take care of himself
    2. Denies it
    3. It continues to happen
    4. Keeps denying
    5. You ask what the fork he's doing
    6. He becomes cagey
    7. He then says "it's part of the job, WTF else can I do"
    8. You want to strangle him
    9. You nearly strangle him
    10. He sells too many potted plants

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    It was a constant bone of contention when we were speaking.

1. Doesn't take care of himself
    2. Denies it
    3. It continues to happen
    4. Keeps denying
    5. You ask what the fork he's doing
    6. He becomes cagey
    7. He then says "it's part of the job, WTF else can I do"
    8. You want to strangle him
    9. You nearly strangle him
    10. He sells too many potted plants
    Never denied I get banged up at work but if u saw above I was at home doing plumbing work. I need to get this to code in case we sell /transfer. Plumbing job at home which I enjoyed and gave me a feeling of accomplishment. Simply got some splinters, it happens. The rest of those comments I won’t address as it was just things I talked about with u. It’s good exercise doing a big job, plumbing, carpentry and electrical and it’s something I enjoy, except the splinters. Why choke, I never wanted to choke anyone

Thread Information