Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pre-fight hype: When it's warranted and when it's not

Quick, what do the following fights have in common?

Floyd-Canelo
    Canelo-Khan
    GGG-Brook
    Loma-Rigo

They are all hyped up fights for which the ending was a foregone conclusion. Floyd-Canelo? Light-years difference in boxing skill. Canelo only got the shot because his huge fan base clamored for it, and thought they were in the same boxing stratosphere. What happened? Canelo never touched Floyd. Boring foregone conclusion. Canelo-Khan and GGG-Brook were ridiculous size differences. Both Khan and Brook foolishly decided to jump not one, but TWO weight divisions right off the bat.... no tuneups..... and take on dangerous middleweights. Foregone conclusion. Loma-Rigo? Billed super-fight by most, but ignoring the same ridiculous size difference between Loma and Rigo, who had fought his entire career at super bantam and jumped up two divisions.

A precursor to the hyped fight that probably should've never happened was Holmes-Cooney. People were hungry for the black vs. white heavyweight championship, and propped Cooney up as a worthy challenger to Holmes. Holmes took care of that without breaking a sweat. Is Cooney considered one of Holmes greatest victories? Not in every boxing circle. Yeah, it's subjective. But to many boxing pundits, Cooney had little chance and little business up in that ring with Holmes.

To the list above I could probably add Hatton-Pacquiao, Hatton-Floyd, and Floyd-Marquez. Another one was Hopkins-DLH. Oscar climbed into the ring with Hopkins, and immediately showed he didn't belong anywhere near 160.

On the other hand..... there have been some super-hyped fights that have disappointed, but not because one of the fighters didn't belong.

Floyd-Pacquiao
    Tyson-Holyfield II (ear-gate)
    Leonard-Duran II ("no mas")

But the pre-fight hype was totally warranted in each case.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pre-fight hype: When it's warranted and when it's not

Pre-fight hype tends to be sickening I agree. But I can tell you some fights that there was no pre-fight hype that could have ever reached the true drama of the upcoming match. Let's take Foreman vs Ali or let's take Holyfield vs Tyson or let's take something like Joshua vs. Klitschko I mean those are definitely worth every ounce of the pre-fight hype. All of those were exciting fights and deserve it. But when you think of the barrel of crap that Mayweather versus Pacquiao was or the barrel of crap that Klitschko vs Fury was at least in terms of punch output then yeah it is sickening.

the Wilder vs Fury fight though is so bizarre since both of them are so bizarre and since WILDER just seems to have almost no boxing skill at all and goes in there almost like a baseball pitcher and is off balance or on the wrong leg more than half the time and fury could seriously find an opportunity on those really ugly moments when Wilder is standing on the wrong leg or throwing a punch off the wrong foot with his hands down by his side's ....Fury could literally nail him because Fury's Fast remember Fury has incredible speed. so I think this fight is worth the pre-fight hype.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some of the fights you mentioned the favourite won.

I thought Oscar v PAC Man and Floyd were mismatches when they were announced and were a shame to boxing and look what happened. I never thought Mosley would beat Oscar and he did.

The Oscar v Tito fight was a let down.

Thinking about it Oscar has been in a lot of hyped up fights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice thread Tito, I will come back later with some other thoughts.

Did anyone mention Floyd/Mac?
    They live, We sleep

El Kabong Guest

Ah yes fight hype where Boxing and Wrasslin meet

I think a lot of this pageantry that goes on before fights is not even trying to sell a fight but fighters trying to psych their opponents out or psych themselves up for the hard training and dedication. That said SOME fighters are 100% Show and 0% Go...David Haye comes to mind, the later career of Shannon Briggs, the later career of Bernard Hopkins the over the top shenanigans it's ridiculous, the fans ain't dumb (most of them anyway) but some fighters have their shtick and it draws in fans I don't know how or why.

Some guys see pressers and contract signings as something they just go through the motions on and they talk in the ring.

I just hate the guys who run their fucking mouths nonstop and then show up to the ring and don't deliver Peter McNeely vs Tyson was one of those guys just yak yak yak yak and then soon as he's touched by Tyson it's all over. Ridiculous

Some guys just are characters Mike Tyson's pre-fight pressers you never knew what you'd get...could be a simple interview about how he's focused and having a good camp, could be him trying to take a bite out of Lennox Lewis' leg you didn't know.

I think a lot of this gained traction in how Ali handled himself.....trouble is, not everyone is Ali and some of Ali's shit was very personal which not to say it's against the rules or off limits but as fighters you're in a brotherhood of risking life and limb to bring home a paycheck, it's bad mojo to step over certain lines.

Larry Holmes dropkicking Trevor Berbick...I'm not sure we'll see something like that again, we DAMN sure won't see this again...

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Did anyone mention Floyd/Pac?
    Titifan mentioned it under a waste of time.

Lewis v Tyson was another pure con job as was Floyd v McGregor
    Last edited by Master; 08-31-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought the Oscar/Pac fight was also going to be a mid-match, but I wasn't sure how Oscar would look after roughly 6 years away from welter.

I thought Floyd/Oscar would be an easy win for Floyd, but he struggled early until Oscar abandoned his jab.

Floyd/Pac when it happened was a mid-match for me, 5 years earlier aping 2010 would have been even going in for me.

Fights like
    Ali/Frazier (the fight of the century)
    Louis/Schmeling 2

Carried great well deserved hype.

Tyson/Holyfield (both fights)
    Lewis/Tyson

Had great hype, but were arguably foregone conclusions heading in if we be honest with ourselves.

I admit I picked Tyson in all 3,mainly on heart than head.
    They live, We sleep

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

For Lewis vs Tyson the selling point was #1 nostalgia "Ahhh old Tyson is back" and #2 "Is Mike Tyson actually nuts? and waaaaaaay down the line at #3 Well COULD Lennox handle Tyson?

For Floyd vs Mac the selling point was A#1 gimmick match....it was no different than when wrestlers do hair vs hair match, loser leaves town, lumberjack, rings on fire, "I quit" match...it was 100% a GIMMICK which is here's how the best MMA fighter would do in boxing vs the best boxer and let's all be honest here Floyd carried him, Floyd allowed McGregor success and just carried him and I am sure a few folks (In the know ) made big money on the fight lasting as long as it did. Not saying McGregor was in on the deal or is a poor fighter, but come on had Floyd at any point in time put the pedal to the metal McGregor would have been finished in a heartbeat and hell a similar thing could happen if Floyd ever did the MMA, but he's not going to because he only takes fights he has advantages in.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry McGregor is who I was referencing.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought the Oscar/Pac fight was also going to be a mid-match, but I wasn't sure how Oscar would look after roughly 6 years away from welter.

I thought Floyd/Oscar would be an easy win for Floyd, but he struggled early until Oscar abandoned his jab.

Floyd/Pac when it happened was a mid-match for me, 5 years earlier aping 2010 would have been even going in for me.

Fights like
    Louis/Schmeling 2

Lewis/Tyson

Had great hype, but were arguably foregone conclusions heading in if we be honest with ourselves.

You honestly telling me you thought Floyd would beat Oscar? I thought it was a gimmick. Credit to Floyd for winning when he had most of the cards stacked against him.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fights like
    Louis/Schmeling 2

Lewis/Tyson

You honestly telling me you thought Floyd would beat Oscar? I thought it was a gimmick. Credit to Floyd for winning when he had most of the cards stacked against him.
    Yea I honestly did, his last great performance for me was the 2nd Mosley fight, almost 4 years prior to the Floyd fight. I thought he lost to Sturm, then Hopkins stopped him, Mayorga was a tune up, even tho they had the bogus WBC title in the line. I'm pretty sure Oscar wasn't on any P4P lists at the time and he wasn't the top guy at 154. He was also getting on at 34.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fights like
    Louis/Schmeling 2

Lewis/Tyson

Yea I honestly did, his last great performance for me was the 2nd Mosley fight, almost 4 years prior to the Floyd fight. I thought he lost to Sturm, then Hopkins stopped him, Mayorga was a tune up, even tho they had the bogus WBC title in the line. I'm pretty sure Oscar wasn't on any P4P lists at the time and he wasn't the top guy at 154. He was also getting on at 34.
    Fair enough but Floyd was going up a weight and I thought he was taking the cash.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fights like
    Louis/Schmeling 2

Lewis/Tyson

Fair enough but Floyd was going up a weight and I thought he was taking the cash.
    No doubt it was a huge money earner, they just seemed on different trajectories at that point for me. I was more surprise with how much he struggled.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar was old and that is why he could not sustain the jab for 12 rounds. Roach used that inside knowledge for his own fighter later on.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as I dislike the red headed beef eater cheater I didn't think it was a total forgone conclusion in the early hype stage and talk about it. It wasn't until the Trout finish that it became clear he didn't have a proper approach. He thought he was a pick your spots boxer instead of jumping Trout late. Became clear as day Floyd was going to clown him but in the back of my mind I hoped Canelo would land a brick.

Hype and build has gone from promotion centered and main media sources to massive and constant self promotion by the fighters themselves via every form of social media available. Point, click talk smack and the fans start carrying and discussing potentials. Networks do solid promotion but I miss the old hbo or showtime face offs with satellite live feeds and two guys just going on . Tyson and Ruddock comes to mind right off. Hbo doesn't even do full 24-7s now which were pretty good. I'll give it to PBC they really keep the ball rolling with potential and future matches in house. They rotate on air announce with active fighters and always have others on hand, in the crowd and grabbing a mic. Today hype is almost to easy compared to guys way back in the day doing the complete talk show circuits and radio programs.

Random one for whatever reasons..Moorer v Holyfield was a rough build. Frankly both have the 'pop' and demeanors of distracted Wal Mart greeters at times. I remember Moorer dressing up like G.I Joe complete with black beret and that surly attitude talking about going to war etc. He stood at some obvious set piece decked out in full camo and 'pounded' his fist until the little podium collapsed and acted surprised . It was total 'wraslin 101. Press people start laughing and Holyfield nearly falls out of his chair rolling.."Well I'm glad I'm not a podium".

Thread Information