Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Frampton vs Warrington

Tommy Fury, Tyson Fury's younger brother, is making his pro debut on the undercard.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liam Williams: Welsh boxer to challenge Mark Heffron at middleweight

Welsh boxer Liam Williams will move to middleweight to try and win the British title against unbeaten Mark Heffron.

The pair will fight on the undercard of the Carl Frampton v Josh Warrington bill in Manchester on 22 December.

Both fighters have seen their scheduled opponents pull out, with Jason Welborn vacating his British title and JJ Metcalf out of a light middleweight fight with Williams due to injury.

Williams previously fought and beat Heffron's brother Ronnie in 2014.

"It is going to be some fight for me now on December 22 and it is one I am looking forward to as well," Mark Heffron said.

"It is definitely a bigger fight than I had lined up before and it is one that will move me onto massive titles afterwards. Credit to Williams for stepping up when nobody else wanted to and he is also coming up from light middleweight. Give him his due for that."

"One hundred per cent it is a bigger fight than I had lined up before - it is a cracking fight," Williams added.

"It gives me the chance to prove myself at the weight above as well and I should say that I am not being forced to move up because I can make light middle and will still make it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/46215680
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Warrington wants big Las Vegas fights after Carl Frampton showdown

Josh Warrington is eyeing unification bouts in Las Vegas but first intends to prove he belongs at the elite level by defeating Lee Selby and Carl Frampton in the same year.

Warrington surprised the vast majority when he bullied and harried betting favourite Selby en route to a split decision victory in his home city of Leeds in May.

The 28-year-old is once again the underdog ahead of the first defence of his IBF featherweight title against Northern Ireland’s Frampton in a blockbuster domestic showdown at the Manchester Arena on December 22.

Beating Selby and Frampton within months of each other would be an emphatic statement from Warrington, who told Press Association Sport: “I’m a world champion, I believe I’m the best, I want to prove I’m the best.

“I’m one fight away really from putting myself as a world name in boxing. Beating Carl puts me up there.

“I want to prove I didn’t just do it as a one-off fluke or it wasn’t just handed to me, I beat Lee Selby and now I’m doing Carl Frampton.

“It doesn’t happen like that normally and I want to be different. Normal fighters do have a big fight, like win a world title and then a steady defence, to get that notch under their belt, but naff that!”

Leeds fan Warrington achieved a lifelong ambition when he fought at Elland Road against Selby, but he is eager to branch out to the United States in an effort to add further world titles to his collection.

The prospect of taking his vast number of followers to Las Vegas for a showdown with either WBC titlist Gary Russell Jr, WBA beltholder Leo Santa Cruz or WBO champion Oscar Valdez is proving alluring.

It is Valdez, like Warrington a relentless pressure fighter, who seems to appeal most to the Yorkshireman.

He added: “If I had the choice to go back to Elland Road or Stateside, I’d probably choose Stateside because Elland Road was its own little chapter.

“Since beating Selby people have spoken about ‘are we going to Vegas’ or ‘are you going to take us to Vegas?’

“I want to – after big Carl – go on and fight Oscar Valdez. I believe when you get to this stage, you want the big fights when you’ve got momentum and confidence going with you.

“I’ve got in my head I want to go and unify the division. Those things motivate me and it’s what I’m in the sport for.

“This IBF belt is lovely but it needs a partner, it needs a companion on the mantelpiece.”

Warrington was speaking ahead of the release of a feature-length documentary chronicling his ups and downs over the past couple of years, culminating in his win over Selby.

Victory over the Welshman has catapulted Warrington to fame and an increased media profile, which has not gone unnoticed by his wife Natasha.

Warrington added: “The missus said to me five or six weeks after the fight had passed ‘when is this going to calm down?’ I said ‘Tash, as long as I have this belt it’s not going to, it’s just going to get busier’.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/jos...093727590.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Billy Joe Saunders begins comeback with fight against Zoltan Sera on Warrington vs Frampton undercard

Billy Joe Saunders will make his boxing return later this month, when he takes on the Hungarian journeyman Zoltan Sera on the Josh Warrington vs Carl Frampton undercard in Manchester.

Saunders has not fought since December 2017, when he stylishly outpointed David Lemieux in Canada to defend his WBO middleweight title.

He then twice withdrew from title fights with domestic rival Martin Murray, before a planned title defence against Demetrius Andrade was scrapped when Saunders tested positive for the banned substance oxilofrine in August. The 29-year-old relinquished his WBO before he could be stripped and was banned from fighting for the sanctioning body for six months.

The British Boxing Board of Control however took no action as the failed Voluntary Anti-Doping Test was out of competition. Saunders has maintained his innocence, blaming the failed test on a decongestant nasal spray.

He will return on the December 22 card at the Manchester Arena, in a tune-up fight against 33-year-old Sera, who has a professional record of 32-17-1.

The Hungarian has fought in the United Kingdom three times in a nomadic career – against Joe Selkirk, Liam Smith and Adam Etches – losing on each occasion.

Earlier in the week promoter Frank Warren had indicated that Saunders was close to a comeback was close although expressed doubt his man would ever get a chance to fight lineal middleweight king Canelo Alvarez.

Canelo won the WBA (Super), WBC and lineal titles when he controversially defeated Gennady Golovkin in a close rematch in September, but Warren believes the Mexican is ducking Saunders. Canelo fights Rocky Fielding in New York on Saturday night.

“I don’t think Canelo would ever fight him. I didn’t think (Canelo) wanted to fight him when (Saunders) was champion,” Warren told Fight Hub TV.

“They talked about it. We never got it over the line. I think especially when he beat Lemieux that night, I remember looking down the line at [Golden Boy executive] Eric Gomez, and I thought to myself, ‘You’ve just absolutely done yourself out of that Canelo fight, they won’t fight you after that performance.’

“It is styles. It is all about styles. You know what you’ve got with Golovkin. He’s a great fighter, Golovkin, no doubt about that, and he did do well, but Bill is a very difficult guy to beat. If he’s up for it and he’s 100 percent — he’s a bit like Tyson (Fury), he’s a very difficult guy to beat. I mean, you saw it. He took Lemieux to school.”

Billy Joe Saunders has not fought in 2018 (Rex)

The addition of Saunders to an already strong Warrington vs Frampton card comes as a significant boost to Warren, who is going head-to-head with his long-term rival Eddie Hearn on December 22. Heavyweights Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora will fight at The O2 at Matchroom’s final event of 2018.

Popular Irishman Michael Conlan and Paddy Barnes will both feature in Manchester, while Tommy Fury – the younger brother of lineal heavyweight champion, Tyson – is due to make his professional debut.

The promising Nathan Gorman will continue his rise up the heavyweight division with a fight against Alex Leapai, while Liam Williams challenges Mark Heffron for the British Middleweight title in the co-main event.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/bil...123700157.html

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Zoltan Sera FFS? What on earth is the point to that?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some people have doubts over the whole Tyson Fury mental health story. It papers over a whole host of terrible personal and professional choices he made and for some, they just don't buy it.

If Fury's account of things is iffy, this cunt is plain taking the piss aint he?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/46577966

https://twitter.com/frankwarren_tv/s...27974813138944
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is very hard to feel sorry for Saunders that is simply just stupidity what Billy has been doing. No excuses.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shame this'll be eclipsed by the Whyte v Chisora fight.
    Just look on social media (especially facebook) to see who's advertising their fight more, hardly anything from BT Sports while Sky Sports having been pumping out loads of adverts multiple times on a daily basis.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Warrington issues warning to Carl Frampton ahead of world title clash

Josh Warrington has warned Carl Frampton he doesn’t need a packed Elland Road behind him to win a big fight.

The Leeds lad claimed his IBF world featherweight title from Lee Selby at the famous old stadium in May, with the vast majority of the 25,000-odd crown roaring him on against the Welshman.

His first defence, however, will be across the Pennines at the Manchester Arena on Saturday, in the city where Northern Irishman Frampton now bases himself for training camps.

But Warrington is adamant that won’t make any difference once it’s just the two of them in the ring.

He said: “It won’t be a problem at all. My first 15 fights were on the road, I’ve boxed away from home many times.

“When I was fighting for English titles away from home in my opponent’s backyard or my Commonwealth title away from home as a massive underdog, they were the biggest fights at that stage of my career.*

“So I was used to dealing with the pressure, dealing with being the away fighter and that comes with experience.
    “I used to get excited about being the away fighter because you just want to turn round and silence their fans.

“My last seven fights, I’ve boxed at home and obviously for the last one I had a packed stadium behind me.

“But this is going to be 50-50 in terms of noise level and it gets to a stage where you don’t need to rely on the crowd any longer.

“Yes, it’s a bonus to have them there, but when the night comes it’s me and Carl.

“Maybe for a more novice professional it may affect you, but I don’t think it will make too much difference on the night.”

The clash between Warrington and Frampton is being played out amid a battle btween rival promoters with Eddie Hearn confirming Dereck Chisora would fight Dillian Whyte in London on the same night.

Warrington added: “It’s not me who’s losing out — all right, on monetary value me and Carl might lose through the pay-per-views — but it’s the fans who are really losing out because, even though boxing as a sport is booming, I wouldn’t go as far as to say that we have enough to split two pay-per-view shows down the line.

“And, let’s have it right, we put our show out first and normally there’s a bit of an unwritten rule, where when a show goes out first, the other promoter has to wait.

“So it’s the fans that are going to lose out because there are fans out there who will want to watch both shows and they’ll want to watch them live because there is no experience like watching a fight live.

“They’re not going to be able to because the main events will probably clash at the same time and, also, £40 is a lot money to some people.
    “Maybe they can’t afford both shows so the fans are the real losers in this one and it’s disappointing.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=spartanntp

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4EtmaQiunI
    Fair play, I don’t understand how Warrington and his Dad have different names, but fair play, his old man is a great crack.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Some people have doubts over the whole Tyson Fury mental health story. It papers over a whole host of terrible personal and professional choices he made and for some, they just don't buy it.

If Fury's account of things is iffy, this cunt is plain taking the piss aint he?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/46577966

https://twitter.com/frankwarren_tv/s...27974813138944
    Most likely. You can obviously be an asshole and still struggle with depression and most anything else though. what bugs me about it all is the way that in this day and age it’s used as damage control. Celebs can go about being shitty people, saying silly and hateful things, develop a habit, then turn around and say they have mental health problems, and they are seen as brave for it. It’s something a majority of people deal with to some degree at a point, they just don’t have the same option. Its incredibly easy to be depressed and lean on substances to the point where you suck to be around and you can’t do your job, that’s the path of least resistance.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Warrington v Frampton: Belfast fighter has 'plenty left' for 'fiery' opponent

Warrington, 28, defends his IBF featherweight title at Manchester Arena and says he is hungry to push on to potential future bouts in the US.
    Frampton, 31, has fought three times since losing a world belt in 2017 and believes he has "been written off".

"This will be me showing there's plenty left yet," the Northern Irishman said.

"I want this title more than I have ever wanted a title," he added.

"When this fight is taking place, it may turn into a dogfight and I am prepared for it. That's when they will realise I am not over the hill."

In Wednesday's final news conference before the bout, Warrington denied he had spoken of Frampton's age being a factor in any decline and claimed he had simply questioned the calibre of his rival's last three opponents.

But Frampton said he had seen comments in the media and also pointed to his own improvement since his only career defeat by Leo Santa Cruz in 2017, six months after initially beating the Mexican.

Frampton, who moved to train under Jamie Moore following his defeat, said: "I believe I am better. Firstly because I was beating guys like Santa Cruz and Scott Quigg when I wasn't really enjoying boxing. If I'm honest I hated it.

"Now I'm switched on, have a smarter approach in camp and I feel I am better now than when I beat Santa Cruz.

"I believe he is very good and this will be tough but I believe I beat any featherweight in the world on the day."

This is a fantastic contest. Warrington is again going in as the underdog. Frampton is roughly 1-2 with bookmakers but Warrington beat an established champion in Lee Selby and I'm not sure he is getting the credit he deserves for that win at Elland Road in May.

But I have a hunch that Frampton is an occasion fighter and maybe gets up for the bigger names.

Six months to nine months ago I would have had Frampton a hefty favourite. I'm not necessarily thinking he slipped a little bit but I'm not necessarily thinking he is the Frampton who went to New York to fight Santa Cruz.

His style, the amount of years he had as a junior, boy, amateur and man as a professional, I think this is a lot closer than nine months ago.

Frampton - who has held world titles in two weight divisions - said he has been "around the houses" to get another shot at a world title, fuelling his desire to return to the top.

He told BBC Sport in November that a win would set up unification bouts in 2019, a feat he feels would move him closer to boxing's Hall of Fame.

Warrington - undefeated in 27 outings - has similar ambitions following his shock win over Selby to land the title in May.

The Leeds fighter claims his belt earned him "free sambucas" and "free parking" in his city but told BBC Sport he is still "not satisfied" with his career.

"I think if you have that feeling you do lose your edge, that bit of fire," he said.

"I still have that, I still feel like a challenger, like I have to prove people wrong because they have me as an underdog.

"The belt goes in a box like and sits at the bottom of my bed. I haven't changed, I just have another accolade. I will look back when I retire and appreciate it but at this moment in time I want to add more to it, go as far as I can.

"The fire is burning. I am so hungry and can't wait to get in there.

"I went into this for a Frampton like he says he is - in his prime. That's what makes me graft in the gym, work hard."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/46625552

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone else backing Warrington?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Anyone else backing Warrington?
    No.

Thread Information