Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Joshua promises to bring back aggressive style against Alexander Povetkin

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua promises to bring back aggressive style against Alexander Povetkin

I reckon AJ stops him around midway, maybe sooner.
    I think his best form of defence is attack against a smaller guy and expect him to come out very aggressively from the off.
    If he can land the huge right uppercut early I think he'll shake Povetkin to his boots then finish him as the ref waves it all off.
    I think the fact he's been getting a fair bit of stick after the Takam and Parker fights will be in the back of his mind.
    Add to that Whyte putting Parker down when AJ couldn't and Wembley still not fully sold out we should see him seriously looking to put on a big show on Saturday.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua promises to bring back aggressive style against Alexander Povetkin

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weigh in -

Joshua - 17st 8lbs

Povetkin - 15st 12lbs

That's the lightest Povetkin has been in over 8 years.

Thinking Povetkin is just gonna bum rush him early and try and catch him cold.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Weigh in -

Joshua - 17st 8lbs

Povetkin - 15st 12lbs

That's the lightest Povetkin has been in over 8 years.

Thinking Povetkin is just gonna bum rush him early and try and catch him cold.
    Well if he fights him the way he was trying to fight Klitschko he'll be looking to land that big right hand counter which AJ will have to be wary of because Povetkin can certainly punch.

I truthfully don't know what to expect. My head says AJ by KO early to middle rounds all day long and twice on Sunday. Yet there's a part of me that thinks AJ coasts to a decision win and then there's the Devil's Advocate in me that wonders if having the title, looking forward to the winner of Wilder-Fury, all the fame, all the success maybe that has withered AJ's desire in the ring and maybe Povetkin can take advantage of that....but it's a longshot.

I think Povetkin shows his heart out there but just gets battered. AJ TKO 5

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’ve felt through the build up that Povetkin looked lean and I worryingly think it’s a bit of a statement of intent. He doesn’t feel he loses any power being a touch lighter, whereas listening to Eddie Hearn , it seems like AJ works his weight according to the type of opponent. Lighter for Parker, heavier for Takam/Pulev (I put that down to a late change of opponent and easing off a bit) and slightly heavier for Wlad.
    If mentally that makes him feel good , then fine. But I can’t help thinking he should come in at a weight to suit him rather than the opponent, and I reckon his weight for Parker was perfect for him regardless of opponent.
    It’s not a massive deal, and I might be overthinking it, but I do worry for him a touch.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I’ve felt through the build up that Povetkin looked lean and I worryingly think it’s a bit of a statement of intent. He doesn’t feel he loses any power being a touch lighter, whereas listening to Eddie Hearn , it seems like AJ works his weight according to the type of opponent. Lighter for Parker, heavier for Takam/Pulev (I put that down to a late change of opponent and easing off a bit) and slightly heavier for Wlad.
    If mentally that makes him feel good , then fine. But I can’t help thinking he should come in at a weight to suit him rather than the opponent, and I reckon his weight for Parker was perfect for him regardless of opponent.
    It’s not a massive deal, and I might be overthinking it, but I do worry for him a touch.
    I think at heavyweight a lot of mind games can be played with weights and whether a fighter is 240 or 250 it shouldn't mean much. What means the most is conditioning...at 250 is AJ capable of staying on his toes should he need to do so? At 240 is AJ capable of sitting on his punches and going to war in the trenches pushing and working for position on the inside? Those are the real questions.

I think Povetkin coming in at 222 isn't much different than the 225 he weighed vs Wlad and he did to his credit keep coming forward. Alexander was 227 when he stopped Maruisz Wach who is quite the big boy indeed and I think the game plan was similar so I'm not sure it matters all that much. To be very simple about it Povetkin should be completely focused on the sweet science, he cannot afford to get hit repeatedly by the bigger (presumably) stronger man, his style means in order for him to do that he has to be very quick on the way in, stay in the pocket without catching flush punches in return, and land hard and clean....it's a tall order.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    I would rank povetkin at number five just now. I have followed his career for some time and he's one of my favourites but I think the last few fights(hammer, price and rudenko) he is looking less vicious and a bit slower which would make sense and he is 39 soon :S... I'd rank joshua Wilder whyte and fury ahead of povetkin, not on boxing skills but more due to their youth and height advantages... Povetkins never really been that hard to hit either so I think this older version will not have a good time with joshua and I would tip Wilders to KO him too. Fury is just too tall and older povetkin would be smothered to a wide decision.. Povetkin would have a chance to beat anybody though, he had a great amateur career and is still at the top of the pros after all these years.
    Good Post, top 5 guy, that's still a pretty solid opponent.
    Everyone seems to forget Ortiz. There’s a reason Whyte refused to fight him even with a guaranteed title shot on the line. Ortiz is avoided out of existence. I can’t put a man who swerved over the man he swerved.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this one - may even pay for it !

Think AJ will come out on top with some rocky moments along the way. Povetkin is dangerous with a decent boxing brain. Wouldn't be surprised if he pulls off the upset.

But yes would like to see an aggressive AJ.

Any idea how many tickets sold so far ?
    They’ve given too many tickets away to get an accurate count. It sold well, stadium fights shouldn’t sell out since it’s such an awful way to see a fight and more for people that enjoy singing than enjoy boxing, but they knew 4 weeks ago it wasn’t going to sell out. That’s a lot of time to give away tickets.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Think AJ will come out on top with some rocky moments along the way. Povetkin is dangerous with a decent boxing brain. Wouldn't be surprised if he pulls off the upset.

They’ve given too many tickets away to get an accurate count. It sold well, stadium fights shouldn’t sell out since it’s such an awful way to see a fight and more for people that enjoy singing than enjoy boxing, but they knew 4 weeks ago it wasn’t going to sell out. That’s a lot of time to give away tickets.
    Ha! The hate is strong 😁
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

Ha! The hate is strong 😁
    Are you suggesting anything said there is not true?

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha! The hate is strong ������
    Of course. Where is your evidence for the big ticket giveaway? It's not America, Joshua's tickets sales are massive and just because Wilder could not sellout a school hall there is little reason to imagine the same applies here.There has been boxing in stadiums since the 1920's and while you might not enjoy the prospect of watching from inside a stadium, thousands obviously disagree. It is perfectly possible to enjoy both 'singing' and boxing equally and the idea that stadium fight's 'Shouldn't' sell out is ludicrous. It's a win win. You want the best view stay at home and watch on TV or get a good seat ringside. If you want to sample the atmosphere ( like a lot of what people refer to as casuals do) go and watch at the stadium , there are screens and you can watch the replay again on TV at home.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha! The hate is strong ������
    Of course. Where is your evidence for the big ticket giveaway? It's not America, Joshua's tickets sales are massive and just because Wilder could not sellout a school hall there is little reason to imagine the same applies here.There has been boxing in stadiums since the 1920's and while you might not enjoy the prospect of watching from inside a stadium, thousands obviously disagree. It is perfectly possible to enjoy both 'singing' and boxing equally and the idea that stadium fight's 'Shouldn't' sell out is ludicrous. It's a win win. You want the best view stay at home and watch on TV or get a good seat ringside. If you want to sample the atmosphere ( like a lot of what people refer to as casuals do) go and watch at the stadium , there are screens and you can watch the replay again on TV at home.
    Couldn’t even get through the first 2 sentences before needing to reply to incorrect assumptions. 1, I said it has sold well. My evidence that tickets were being given away is insiders everywhere saying so, search yourself. You incorrectly turn it into a Wilder/Joshua fandom thing. I am no fan of Wilder. Look through what fighters I enjoy, it is skilled fighters. My only issue with Joshua is him not fighting Wilder. As soon as he agrees to fight him(meaning a fair offer) I will root for him to knock Wilder out. As long as he continues to stall the fight I will be against him. You go on to agree that stadiums are a bad way to SEE a FIGHT so I don’t understand why you disagree with me saying so. I see no need to respond to the Wilder insults even though they are wrong because again, I don’t like Wilder. People seem to confuse wanting to see a fight and recognizing who is stalling said fight with fandom. Strange assumption. If you look through what I say all day every day it is about wanting the big fights and not accepting lies about them. Completely consistent no matter who the fighters are. For example, I’m a Spence fan, Arum has now said he is willing to make the Spence/Crawford fight. If Spence makes any meaningless fights instead you will see me calling him out. Feel free to quote me on that and call me out if I’m lying.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Price has survived the first round a d probably did enough to win it!
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Price using his jab but getting caught to the body in the second round. May have won it. I am just glad he has not been knocked out yet.

2-0

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Price was getting beat up in the 3rd until Price unleashed a blistering attack but his opponent is back in control.

2-1

Thread Information