39. This poll is closed
  • GGG

26 66.67%
  • Canelo

9 23.08%
  • Draw

4 10.26%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you think won GGG/Canelo 2?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who do you think won GGG/Canelo 2?

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    The always popular david haye and amir khan think alvarez won... I always said they are smart guys. :S
    I always thought you were but you must have drank too much last night.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Media scores for GGG-Canelo II

Harold Lederman (HBO Sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Brian Campbell (CBS sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Dan Rafael (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Salvador Rodríguez (ESPN Mexico): 114-114 draw

Gareth A Davies (The Telegraph): 116-112 Golovkin

Josh Peter (USA Today): 115-113 Golovkin

Sports Illustrated: 114-114 draw

Dylan Hernandez (LA Times): 115-113 Golovkin

Lance Pugmire (La Times): 114-114 draw

Box Scene: 114-114 draw

Chris Mannix (Yahoo! Sports): 115-113 Golovkin

Kevin Iole (Yahoo! Sports): 114-114 draw

The Guardian: 116-112 Golovkin

Joe DePaolo (Washington Post): 115-113 Golovkin

Mike Coppinger (Ring Magazine): 114-114 draw

Sherdog: 116-112 Golovkin

Jai Bednall (news.com.au): 115-113 Golovkin

Brian Mazique (Forbes): 114-114 draw

Adam Abramowitz (Ring Magazine and SN Boxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Tom Craze (Bad Left Hook): 116-112 Golovkin

Fraser Coffeen (Bloody Elbow): 115-113 Golovkin

The Associated Press: 114-114 draw

Bill Simmons (HBO and The Ringer): 114-114 draw

Steven Muehlhausen (Sporting News): 116-112 Golovkin

Michael Montero (MonteroOnBoxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Matt Christie (Boxing News): 115-114 Golovkin

George Willis (New York Post): 114-114 draw

Below The Belt Podcast: 115-113 Golovkin

World Boxing News: 115-113 Golovkin

Jeff Powell (Daily Mail): 116-113 Golovkin

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Again, most people are missing the point. It’s not that Canelo couldn’t have won the fight. It was definitely in the realm of possibility to score it for him without it being a robbery. It’s that it’s no fluke that two fights in a row the judges scored much more in favor of Canelo than the fans and media did. It’s clear as day that this was already set up for Canelo to win.
    Precisely. Before the fight, I said “THE FIX IS ON!” That doesn’t mean it was a robbery. All GBP Have to do is get one judge on side to give it to Canelo and one to dither and give it a draw. This way , Canelo can never lose a decision, but more importantly, GGG Can never win one, he can only win by KO or DQ.
    If it sufficiently close , then it can be done. Canelo doesn’t have to be the better fighter on the night, just close enough.
    I have to qualify this by saying I haven’t watched a second of the fight as I am away. I’ll probably watch it later in the week in peace and quiet and then I’ll be able to say who I think won, although it doesn’t really matter.
    @Primo Carnera tell you what mate, watch the fight and enjoy it for what it is, regardless of the questionable outcome it was a fucking cracking scrap.
    Oh I’ll be doing exactly that mate . I’m just a bit pissed off with both of these and how they’ve held the division to ransom.
    That’s where I was but they won me over last night. Anyone crying robbery is biased or ignorant. There was about 6 swing rounds

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to_boxing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Canelo he out GGG'd GGG . He came foward and it was a role reversal GGG ran. Canelo made a puncher box . GGG should have went.to the body like his stolen fake moniker Mexican Style. Abel was vague and.stupid as usual.
    I agree that GGG was again absent when it came to the body. However, unlike Canelo in the first fight who was on the back foot, GGG was doing it in the center of the ring and was landing the jab again and again as well as noticeable uppercuts. That was the big difference. GGG hardly ran, he boxed. Canelo did run in that first fight, but count me the number of times GGG went to the ropes. He didn't at all. He was in the middle outlanding his opponent. He outlanded Alvarez by about 30 punches overall. GGG also came on strong hurting Canelo a number of times.
    GGG WON IF YOU WERE LOOKING AT THIS AS A SLAP FIGHT. You ask your opponent in the lead up to not run then slap and run yourself. GGG is the one at fault for throwing a curve to the judges. The style he opted to fight swung the judges to think Canelo dictated the fight. Even Abel is throwing GGG under the bus saying he wanted him to fight and he opted to box. It was a good competitive fight but it was obvious if GGG opts to fight next time he is the one who will gas out. The man was dying in his corner at the end of each round from the middle rounds on.
    Golovkin was winning the fight on the outside with the ramrod jab of his. If the fight was anywhere else Golovkin gets the decision. However you are right the judges all had Canelo 4-2 up after 6 rounds.

It was a good fight.
    That part they got right. Canelo looked like he was going to stop GGG until he gassed in the 8th. Of course Canelo would gas, he always has. But it was shocking to see GGG staggering around in 6,7, early 8 from what he took early. While you were fawning over GGGs jab Canelo was brutalizing him to the body.

But Canelo couldn’t maintain and GGG found that something special inside himself to take the momentum.

Canelo is a better fighter than I ever gave him credit for and GGG showed he’s not just a bully, he won’t fold for nothing.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 70% in the Fightnews poll matches the 70% on this thread poll.

Plus none of the sportswriters you mentioned voted for Canelo............. NONE.

No, it was not a robbery 'cause it was close. But the decision had already been mailed in. Announcing it was merely a formality.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Canelo he out GGG'd GGG . He came foward and it was a role reversal GGG ran. Canelo made a puncher box . GGG should have went.to the body like his stolen fake moniker Mexican Style. Abel was vague and.stupid as usual.
    I agree that GGG was again absent when it came to the body. However, unlike Canelo in the first fight who was on the back foot, GGG was doing it in the center of the ring and was landing the jab again and again as well as noticeable uppercuts. That was the big difference. GGG hardly ran, he boxed. Canelo did run in that first fight, but count me the number of times GGG went to the ropes. He didn't at all. He was in the middle outlanding his opponent. He outlanded Alvarez by about 30 punches overall. GGG also came on strong hurting Canelo a number of times.
    GGG WON IF YOU WERE LOOKING AT THIS AS A SLAP FIGHT. You ask your opponent in the lead up to not run then slap and run yourself. GGG is the one at fault for throwing a curve to the judges. The style he opted to fight swung the judges to think Canelo dictated the fight. Even Abel is throwing GGG under the bus saying he wanted him to fight and he opted to box. It was a good competitive fight but it was obvious if GGG opts to fight next time he is the one who will gas out. The man was dying in his corner at the end of each round from the middle rounds on.
    Golovkin was winning the fight on the outside with the ramrod jab of his. If the fight was anywhere else Golovkin gets the decision. However you are right the judges all had Canelo 4-2 up after 6 rounds.

It was a good fight.
    That part they got right. Canelo looked like he was going to stop GGG until he gassed in the 8th. Of course Canelo would gas, he always has. But it was shocking to see GGG staggering around in 6,7, early 8 from what he took early. While you were fawning over GGGs jab Canelo was brutalizing him to the body.

But Canelo couldn’t maintain and GGG found that something special inside himself to take the momentum.

Canelo is a better fighter than I ever gave him credit for and GGG showed he’s not just a bully, he won’t fold for nothing.
    Jab also brutalised Canelo's face.

So it seems the early rounds, the first 6, were key to this fight. I thought Golovkin was controlling the fight and winning the majority of the first half of the fight.

Other posters saw it as a negative and favoured Canelo's aggression.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

It was a good fight.

Jab also brutalised Canelo's face.

So it seems the early rounds, the first 6, were key to this fight. I thought Golovkin was controlling the fight and winning the majority of the first half of the fight.

Other posters saw it as a negative and favoured Canelo's aggression.
    There’s a reason GGG was staggering around 6, 7 and early 8 before Canelo hit the wall. It was the body work that controlled the early portion.

Again, much respect to GGG for withstanding that and showing the will to recover. Because he looked like he had no chance at finishing the fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it would have been better for Canelo to lose. It’s another decision that drew our attentions away from what Canelo did. He was impressive and showed a granite chin. If he would have lost the decision I think that we all could have just respected both fighters and their teams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One thing i noticed with this bout is the distance the ref kept during the whole fight..

Its almost like he is not there. He left them both to it. Which was a good thing.

So thumbs up for the ref.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Alvarez won. It was close. But it was clear. If you want to pretend like body shots don't count or just don't like Alvarez than I can see the thinking Golovkin won
    Real talk. Good seeing the truth being spouted here by VD all these years later.

Canelo won this fight in the 12th for me. I have only watched once but thought he won five of the first six rounds and won the last.

Overall he was just landing much cleaner punches, was the ring general and I think his body punching has been the different in both fights.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it fairly safe to say that there is pretty much a consensus on the way people saw the fight. 70% of the fans saw another GGG victory and it appears the boxing press saw a similar story. However, 0% of the judges were able to even cede a 33.3% possibility that GGG might well have won. That's pretty revealing about where boxing is at and this is not the first time people have questioned Golden Boy, Nevada or the officiating for their fights.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 09-17-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

20% of the forum saw a Canelo win. 20%.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is turning a bit like the Pac/Marquez saga. Canelo is the younger speedier guy and GGG is the older fighter with the better experience and ramrod jab. Will it take fight number 4 to yell timber?

Surely it is time judges were held accountable for their decisions. Harold Lederman bless him is able to talk people through what he is seeing, but these official judges are anonymous and answer to nobody. In my profession evaluation is a very serious process and I am held accountable every step of the way. Boxing by contrast really seems so slippery and loose and considering the average American is paying 90 dollars to watch a fight and they disagree with the decision 70% of the time, certainly in fights like this, surely something has to change.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dudes I was too pissed last night to talk about it but I ordered the fight and couldn’t watch it. My cable provider said there was an issue with the transmission from the source. About ten minutes prior to the main event the signal cut out again and that was it. I spent three hours on the phone trying to sort the whole thing out. Piece of shit, they said it happened all over the country. I don’t know if it was due to demand or if it was a plan to piss me off

Thread Information