39. This poll is closed
  • GGG

26 66.67%
  • Canelo

9 23.08%
  • Draw

4 10.26%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you think won GGG/Canelo 2?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who do you think won GGG/Canelo 2?

I am actually really interested in a 3rd fight now.

I agree with others, that I would like to see them in the mix with other top middleweights, but this fight was very good, and I 3rd fight can only be good for everyone.

Oh and seeing Teddy lose it again is always a treat ๐Ÿ˜‚
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Father Time catches up completely with GGG before the 3rd fight is made, and losing to Canelo for real would only serve to further inflate Canelo's "house of cards" legacy.

Having said that, I've noticed the decisions have tended to fall a notch short of reality in the first two fights.

Fight 1: GGG wins convincingly, so the judges decide on a draw.

Fight 2: GGG wins a closer fight, so they judges give it to Canelo.

What this means is that if GGG were to knock out Canelo, he'd be awarded a decision win.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leaving the arena, Roy Jones Jr explained to me that Canelo had fought the fight some didn't think he could. He said the Mexican had fought up close "in a phone booth" and that surprise strategy perhaps impressed the judges enough for them to favour him.

The last round was so key with two of the judges giving it to Canelo whereas the consensus ringside was that Golovkin had a good last round. So had those two judges given it to Golovkin then all three judges would have scored it a draw again.

Bunce: I thought Golovkin won that last round and we would have had a pure draw which is so, so rare.

I had Canelo leading 4-2 at halfway and when it was over I had it 6-6 - a draw for me. I was working alongside David Haye and Richie Woodhall. At the end, David had Canelo, while Richie was the other way. That is how split we were.

Bunce: If I'm Golovkin's people I'm saying 'no way am I going back to Las Vegas' unless of course the amount of money is the necessary balm to make the indignation and the outrage just feel a little bit better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/45544955
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I have to be the one guy who hasn't seen the fight yet. But judging by the RBR..awesome input..and media talk both guys fought their arses off and at the end of the day that's all you can really ask for. Well and a just decision, but I'll reserve judgement .
    Its a really great fight.. Definently watch it when you can... Wouldn't be as cool as seeing it live but wotever... I think this time it was certainly worth the 85 Canadian quids and I'm half jew when it comes to money :S. Draw would have been the fairest result for all the effort both geezers put in.
    Definitely, a fight isn't the same once you know but still a must see. Probably watch on my off day. Had a buddy call me Sunday, a casual turned boxing nerd over the last few yrs. He calls Golovkin his favorite and went apoplectic after the first fight with 'draw'. He left a message Sunday and just said.."Dude..how do they get away with that. I'm hooked but devastated with this damn sport" . Maybe the third times the charm.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think Father Time catches up completely with GGG before the 3rd fight is made, and losing to Canelo for real would only serve to further inflate Canelo's "house of cards" legacy.

Having said that, I've noticed the decisions have tended to fall a notch short of reality in the first two fights.

What this means is that if GGG were to knock out Canelo, he'd be awarded a decision win.
    I heard Sanchez wants the rematch in May, and wants GGG to rest until then.

Father time is catching up with GGG, so another big money Alvarez fight would come at the right time. He also gets a chance to even the score. Plus we could get another quality fight.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo rescues his bloated and tainted legacy on the back of an aging old man who knows he has to knock out his opponent to win. This totally changes his strategy, and could lead to himself getting knocked out, since I doubt the titanium in Canelo's chin will have expired by then. Meanwhile the split only gets worse, to add insult to injury. Oh what the hell.....let's do it again.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt will there be a third fight. Iโ€™m already seeing headlines saying โ€œget ready for number threeโ€ in the few mags that report on boxing. If GGG wins 8 or 11 rounds we might be lucky and see a draw

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo rescues his bloated and tainted legacy on the back of an aging old man who knows he has to knock out his opponent to win. This totally changes his strategy, and could lead to himself getting knocked out, since I doubt the titanium in Canelo's chin will have expired by then. Meanwhile the split only gets worse, to add insult to injury. Oh what the hell.....let's do it again.
    I know where you're coming from, but how many big paydays does GGG have left? Canelo makes him the most money, he arguably defeated Canelo twice, even after some have mentioned he has slipped.

I'd love GGG to say screw it and go on a rampage against the likes of the Jacobs/ Devey winner, Saunders and Jermall, but he needs to look out for his family and health at the end of the day, and a 3rd Canelo fight should set that all up nicely. And hey there's nothing like revenge for motivation. Especially in GGG's case to this point.

GGG has a few quality fights left in him, he is still competing and arguably beating the younger guys in the division.

For me Canelo redeemed himself big time, he put on a hell of a performance against a division elite and a p4p guy, showed he has an amazing chin, and showed he is trouble for anyone in the division, he also tested clean (so far). What the judges, promoters etc do, can't all be put on Canelo, he's a fighter, he got in that ring and fought. And he fought well.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you're the one who doesn't get it. Enjoying a fight and disagreeing with the decision are two mutually exclusive things. One doesn't depend on the other. It was a good fight. Canelo came to fight this time. But in the opinion of myself (oh wait.... my opinion doesn't count) and MANY boxing experts, GGG clearly won or it was a draw at best. Not one boxing sportswriter in one posted survey thought Canelo won. Even one from a Mexican paper thought it was a draw. So I'm afraid your argument that we "just don't get it" falls flat on its face.
    We had a great fight. Iโ€™m happy about a great fight, youโ€™re up in your feelings. Think about that. How should a fight fan be after a great fight, happy about the great fight or up in their feelings?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you think youโ€™re even speaking reality at this point? Please recognize you are all up in your feelings

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I know where you're coming from, but how many big paydays does GGG have left? Canelo makes him the most money, he arguably defeated Canelo twice, even after some have mentioned he has slipped.

I'd love GGG to say screw it and go on a rampage against the likes of the Jacobs/ Devey winner, Saunders and Jermall, but he needs to look out for his family and health at the end of the day, and a 3rd Canelo fight should set that all up nicely. And hey there's nothing like revenge for motivation. Especially in GGG's case to this point.

GGG has a few quality fights left in him, he is still competing and arguably beating the younger guys in the division.

For me Canelo redeemed himself big time, he put on a hell of a performance against a division elite and a p4p guy, showed he has an amazing chin, and showed he is trouble for anyone in the division, he also tested clean (so far). What the judges, promoters etc do, can't all be put on Canelo, he's a fighter, he got in that ring and fought. And he fought well.

I hear ya, Alpha. But honestly..... how much of the purse for Canelo - GGG III do you think Fishnets is going to give him?

He caved to a 55-45 split off a drug suspension, suspicious draw in their first fight, and GGG still with the belts...... when he really wanted 70-30.

How much do you think he'd offer GGG now?

Yeah, Canelo redeemed himself somewhat. But let him fight other big, young guns in the division while remaining clean before we let him entirely off the hook.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

I hear ya, Alpha. But honestly..... how much of the purse for Canelo - GGG III do you think Fishnets is going to give him?

He caved to a 55-45 split off a drug suspension, suspicious draw in their first fight, and GGG still with the belts...... when he really wanted 70-30.

How much do you think he'd offer GGG now?

Yeah, Canelo redeemed himself somewhat. But let him fight other big, young guns in the division while remaining clean before we let him entirely off the hook.
    It will still be bigger than if GGG fought anyone else.

We got 2 top fighters, who gave it their all and basically fought to a standstill. Who doesn't want to see that fight again? GGG's not getting any younger, the sooner the better for him. Canelo is ever improving and could silence the doubters with a convincing victory. With all the build up so far, fights 1 & 2, I think Canelo/ GGG III is a huge fight next May.

And to Ron, I think everyone acknowledges it was an excellent fight. But I'm fine with those who want to question and discuss the decision. Most feel there were enough close rounds that it could have gone either way. What better place to discuss it than here? We all love boxing, it's our passion, we get passionate about fights and fighters. It's what we do.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    According to compubox(which is always perfectly accurate when it comes to 12th round scoring :S) alvarez landed more in the 12th.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    So much ado about jabs vs. power shots, as if jabs were the only thing GGG connected with. Watch the fight again. GGG totally ROCKED Canelo in the later rounds. Only Canelo's granite chin kept him from going down. GGG dominated the first few rounds jabbing from the outside, seemed to be a bit gassed toward the middle, then showed his true grit and rocked Canelo again and again with uppers and power shots. Canelo fans obviously will cling to the body shots of Canelo like drowning people to a lifebuoy, while ignoring the pounding GGG put on Canelo especially in the last part of the fight.

Again... Canelo fans think Canelo won. Boxing fans know GGG won. Every single survey being done bears it out. Simple as that.
    Youโ€™re just a fan right? Not someone who hates Canelo right? Neutral and impartial right?
    bwaaaaHAHAHA ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚
    Nothing "tainted" here, move along.....

Thread Information