Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default An open letter from fishnets

Dear Fight Fans,

On the night of Saturday, September 15, fans were set to be treated to what sports should be all about: the two best athletes in a sport squaring off against each other with the winner earning the title of the best in the business. This kind of an event - where an individual can be called the best in any sport -- is truly rare.

Not only did the fight itself deliver all that was promised, against all kinds of pressure, Canelo Alvarez gave the performance of his lifetime to secure the unified middleweight championship of the world.

Unfairly criticized for not fighting “Mexican” enough in the first fight, he kept Gennady Golovkin on his heels all night, taking the action to the “boogeyman of boxing,” walking him down and controlling the pace.

Repeatedly ravaged for two positive drug tests that showed minor traces of clenbuterol - a common occurrence in Mexico due to the contamination of beef across the country, Canelo submitted to more than 20 drug tests in the lead up to the fight and passed them all with flying colors.

Saddled with a judge’s card of a year ago that he had nothing to do with; the pressure of millions of fans watching; and what many were describing as a must-win to stay relevant, Canelo delivered a near-flawless fight.

And yet...

It wouldn’t be boxing if thousands of keyboard warriors weren’t talking (or tweeting) complete nonsense in the hours and days after Canelo began to cement his legacy as an all-time great fighter.

Many have told me to ignore the haters; that I’ll never win. But while I know I won’t convince many of them, allowing them to even partly soil what was a certain fight of the year; a megaevent seen by millions of people; and a virtuoso performance by boxing’s marquis fighter would do a disservice to the sport I love.

So allow me to respond to a few of the more absurd comments.

Golden Boy paid the judges to fix the fight.

Though I don’t think this deserves response, here are the facts: The three judges were chosen by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Given the result of the first fight, NSAC was under a lot of scrutiny to come up with the fairest group of judges possible. For the first time I know of, GBP and team GGG were even allowed to approve a pool of judges. They saw what everyone else did; a close, competitive fight and scored it exactly that way.

Golovkin landed more punches and therefore should have won the fight.

If landed punches were the difference between winning or losing a boxing match, we would have an incredibly different and less interesting sport. Clean punching, ring generalship, effective aggressiveness and defense are what the judges are looking for in determining the winner of a round. I’m obviously a promoter, but in the four areas that actually count in judging, I can’t find one where GGG was the victor.

Tom Loeffler’s statement that he doesn’t know if Golvokin can win a decision in Las Vegas.

Perhaps Tom is just looking to make GGG feel better, but regardless this is maybe the most disappointing comment, because it comes from someone who knows the sport. Of course, GGG can win a decision in Vegas. But 22,000 people aren’t going to crowd into the T-Mobile to watch Golovkin fight and blast out the likes of Dominic Wade, Willie Monroe, Jr., or Vanes Martirosyan. He is going to need to fight a higher level of competition - and then fight better than that opponent - to earn a victory in the mecca of boxing.

Boxing is a wonderful sport that is coming back thanks to streaming technology and growing international interest. But it is a sport that also faces competition, not only from the outside in the form of other, more-widely watched leagues, but from inside where the fractured nature of boxing has made it tougher and tougher for the best to face the bes

Just look at celebrity row to see how special Saturday night was. There, another best-in-sport athlete, Lebron James, joined Will Smith, Mark Wahlberg and a huge group of other A-list celebrities to witness something special.

While everyone is entitled to his or her opinion (especially in boxing), let’s take a moment to appreciate what Canelo and GGG gave us on Saturday night and work towards doing it more often for the sake of the sport we all love so much.
    The fact that he has to come out with this says a lot.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: An open letter from fishnets

Yes Oscar, both fighters fought excellently and that deserves credit, but surely you can see an obvious disparity between the judging of the press, that of the fans, and the official judges.

Here on this site alone we have around 20% of the posters thinking Canelo won the fight. All polls on all sites are aligned with the views of the independent boxing press. Yet here you are, the promoter of the fighter who has twice been saved by rather dubious decision making beseeching us to be nice and accept it for what it was. You see NO way that GGG won. That is rather telling isn't it?

Also what does it matter what celebrities were at the fight? Celebrity culture is a societal cancer as is the idea that you who have no political qualifications or experience beyond considering yourself a 'dreamer' thinking of running for President based on being yet another 'celebrity'. You are delusional and misguided.

It is the fans that matter and once again they have been short changed. Not by the fight that was excellent but the foul aftertaste of yet another poor decision in Nevada. It was one reason many suggested GGG not take the fight at all. He already beat Canelo and he did it again.

Also please quit with the beef excuses. When you earn millions of dollars per fight you can afford the finest nutrition and hire the best nutritionists. It is hardly the first time Mexico has had 'beef' issues. You could fly in Kobe beef and eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Canelo does after all get the bulk of the purse despite not even being the champion but instead someone propped up by HBO and yourself year in year out using his weight to dominate, then drugs to survive and then finally making a fight a little bit closer with an older GGG.

When is the 3rd one Oscar? Next year? Another year in the age bank for GGG? It would have been more tempting had it even been another draw but most people now have the taste of sick in their mouths. How about a fight in a stadium in the UK? Or a fight in New York? Or even in GGG's own country? GGG gave you all the chances and choices. How about you give a little bit in return? I highly doubt you would even consider it. But if you did people might sit up and give you a little more respect.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes it was a great fight and at the least lived up to the hype. Both men deserve credit for their performance but a 3rd fight is due.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is this real? Oscar is trying to suggest he has the high ground but he takes a cheap shot at GGGs weak competition while making his case?

Mind numbing cognitive dissonance

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Yes it was a great fight and at the least lived up to the hype. Both men deserve credit for their performance but a 3rd fight is due.
    Maybe it was a good fight (still haven't seen it.) but surely the last thing we need is milking out this meaningless nonsense for a 3rd time?
    Canelo should fight his mandatory if he has to . or if he can get out of that , he should either try to unify against Saunders or fight Jacobs , Charlo or the Russian guy with a long name.
    The division needs to catch up for the last 3 years that it's been held to ransom and get back to finding out who the best is.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Dear Fight Fans,

On the night of Saturday, September 15, fans were set to be treated to what sports should be all about: the two best athletes in a sport squaring off against each other with the winner earning the title of the best in the business. This kind of an event - where an individual can be called the best in any sport -- is truly rare.

Not only did the fight itself deliver all that was promised, against all kinds of pressure, Canelo Alvarez gave the performance of his lifetime to secure the unified middleweight championship of the world.

Unfairly criticized for not fighting “Mexican” enough in the first fight, he kept Gennady Golovkin on his heels all night, taking the action to the “boogeyman of boxing,” walking him down and controlling the pace.

Repeatedly ravaged for two positive drug tests that showed minor traces of clenbuterol - a common occurrence in Mexico due to the contamination of beef across the country, Canelo submitted to more than 20 drug tests in the lead up to the fight and passed them all with flying colors.

Saddled with a judge’s card of a year ago that he had nothing to do with; the pressure of millions of fans watching; and what many were describing as a must-win to stay relevant, Canelo delivered a near-flawless fight.

And yet...

It wouldn’t be boxing if thousands of keyboard warriors weren’t talking (or tweeting) complete nonsense in the hours and days after Canelo began to cement his legacy as an all-time great fighter.

Many have told me to ignore the haters; that I’ll never win. But while I know I won’t convince many of them, allowing them to even partly soil what was a certain fight of the year; a megaevent seen by millions of people; and a virtuoso performance by boxing’s marquis fighter would do a disservice to the sport I love.

So allow me to respond to a few of the more absurd comments.

Golden Boy paid the judges to fix the fight.

Though I don’t think this deserves response, here are the facts: The three judges were chosen by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Given the result of the first fight, NSAC was under a lot of scrutiny to come up with the fairest group of judges possible. For the first time I know of, GBP and team GGG were even allowed to approve a pool of judges. They saw what everyone else did; a close, competitive fight and scored it exactly that way.

Golovkin landed more punches and therefore should have won the fight.

If landed punches were the difference between winning or losing a boxing match, we would have an incredibly different and less interesting sport. Clean punching, ring generalship, effective aggressiveness and defense are what the judges are looking for in determining the winner of a round. I’m obviously a promoter, but in the four areas that actually count in judging, I can’t find one where GGG was the victor.

Tom Loeffler’s statement that he doesn’t know if Golvokin can win a decision in Las Vegas.

Perhaps Tom is just looking to make GGG feel better, but regardless this is maybe the most disappointing comment, because it comes from someone who knows the sport. Of course, GGG can win a decision in Vegas. But 22,000 people aren’t going to crowd into the T-Mobile to watch Golovkin fight and blast out the likes of Dominic Wade, Willie Monroe, Jr., or Vanes Martirosyan. He is going to need to fight a higher level of competition - and then fight better than that opponent - to earn a victory in the mecca of boxing.

Boxing is a wonderful sport that is coming back thanks to streaming technology and growing international interest. But it is a sport that also faces competition, not only from the outside in the form of other, more-widely watched leagues, but from inside where the fractured nature of boxing has made it tougher and tougher for the best to face the bes

Just look at celebrity row to see how special Saturday night was. There, another best-in-sport athlete, Lebron James, joined Will Smith, Mark Wahlberg and a huge group of other A-list celebrities to witness something special.

While everyone is entitled to his or her opinion (especially in boxing), let’s take a moment to appreciate what Canelo and GGG gave us on Saturday night and work towards doing it more often for the sake of the sport we all love so much.
    The fact that he has to come out with this says a lot.

Exactly what first came to mind!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Doing this press release has the opposite effect of its intended effect. Having to justify all of this stuff shows insecurity, not confidence. I don’t recall ever hearing a promoter having to justify his fighter this much.

I always say it’s extremely unfortunate with Oscar because the first big fight that I watched was Oscar vs Tito and I became a de la Hoya fan after it. He was my favorite fighter from the beginning for me. As a promoter now I absolutely hate him. He is the worst.

Thread Information