Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Floyd dare to come back for Canelo now?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would Floyd dare to come back for Canelo now?

If he did take a Canelo fight then we know one of two things. Either Floyd knows something we don’t and he can still compete at a high level against a legit middleweight, or he is in desperate need of money and recognition that he is willing to risk his 0.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Mayweather would ever go for this. He may act a fool but I really think floyd is a smart person(his act made him very rich). Floyd was that big at 147lbs.. He'd be too far off his normal weight class. Mayweather is only looking for easy money not to get ko'd. I also don't think his legs are quick enough or fit enough to really take advantage of alvarez for 12 rounds anymore.

I would think the Pac man fight is way more likely.... I actually wouldn't mind that if they held it Manilla.... Post fight riot would be hilarious.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So the general feel seems Mayweather wouldn't risk it and if he did he'd get beat?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mean if he's struggling to sleep then he can step in there with Canelo and he'll help him sleep.

In all seriousness though, Floyd needs to F off now tbh everyone is sick of him (and I was a fan of the guy inside the ring).
    Last edited by Manos de Piedra; 09-20-2018 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Had to mention inside the ring
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is a much better fighter than Canelo it is just that he is too old. The Floyd of several years ago would take on and beat a MW Canelo IMO. He still had his legs and Canelo isn't good at chasing anyone down and has stamina and output issues. He just lost twice to an old Golovkin lest we not forget.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazing after all this time that Floyd still casts a massive shadow over the Sport.
    Why can we not ignore him and move on?
    I can’t think of another current sportsman in any sport who is still talked about as an opponent at the top of the pile over 3 years after their last meaningful clash.
    Massive backhanded compliment to Floyd in my opinion. No wonder he keeps talking, people keep listening.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Amazing after all this time that Floyd still casts a massive shadow over the Sport.
    Why can we not ignore him and move on?
    I can’t think of another current sportsman in any sport who is still talked about as an opponent at the top of the pile over 3 years after their last meaningful clash.
    Massive backhanded compliment to Floyd in my opinion. No wonder he keeps talking, people keep listening.
    Obviously he's one of those "He may be the last true star of the sport" kind of fighters. Similar things happened when De la Hoya and Mosley were aging out and Hopkins and Toney and RJJ were fading.

Floyd won't allow boxing to move on from him, not yet at least.

Mike Tyson was CONSTANTLY big upped "He's gonna come back, he's gonna get with Kevin Rooney and he's going to take the division over again". Hell Ike Ibeabuchi was talked about when he was getting paroled at like age 42 or some shit.

Indeed, people still have emotions for him, they love him or they hate him and that means money.

Screw a Pacquiao rematch, rematch Canelo win at 160 no catchweight, and give yourself the opportunity to really make a lasting impression on the sport winning belts from 130 to 160.....I hate Floyd, but he's smart making matches for himself and he knows what sells.

Granted his last fight was against an MMA fighter whom he carried and before that Andre Berto so who the hell knows what Floyd's true level is right now? I guess that's the crux of the matter...Canelo has grown into (with the help of the Mexican beef council) a seemingly better fighter and Floyd is just older....oh if he were to come back and lose to ANYONE it would be hilarious, I don't care if it's a decision loss or a KO I mean I'd rather it be a KO because although I thoroughly dislike Floyd I think him losing by crooked judging would suck...but if Floyd were to come back and lose it would be up there with the RJJ-Tarver II Why the fuck didn't you just retire and stay retired? Decisions.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I don’t think so. Not because of Canelo but because Floyd is not Floyd anymore. The Mayweathers are stupid outside the ring but I’m sure they can well see Floyd is past it. I want him and PAC to go away so people stop looking at that $$$ and start considering real fights.

Arum says he will negotiate with Garcia now, but won’t start negotiations until after Loma’s next fight in December. That’s something. Outside the fact Mikey may not want to wait 3 months to even begin talks. But Loma/Garcia, Spence/beltholder, Wilder/AJ, Monster/belyholder, Charlo/GGG, these are the fights we deserve for our money. Not Floyd/anyone
    Yea I was taking with Spicoli in the Burns/Beltran thread about Robert and Arum talking. Thought that might make you happy. Let's see how it pans out.

Mikey's mandatory against Commey will be ordered soon, so he can get that out of the way, then they can both look at fighting next year.
    Yes and no. There’s a pattern of Arum finding ways not to talk. Here he does the same thing saying “tell Mikey to stop talking”, literally asking Mikey to stop calling out all their lies. Then he goes on to say he will negotiate but not for 3 months. Why can’t they have preliminary talks? Not full on negotiations but what percentage are you going to want, what guarantee? It’s not hard to simply see if negotiations are even worth waiting 3 months to talk. Imagine you are Mikey, would you wait 3 months quietly not even knowing the ballpark of the offer? If I’m Mikey I get a fight scheduled quickly to get on the same schedule quickly because if Arum has any wiggle room he will wiggle so step on throats

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is too old, small and irrelevant now to take on Canelo now.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    This is why I get angry about boxing talk. This is a lie and you know it’s a lie but you have no problem saying it. I see this crap multiple times a day. (Not necessarily from you)I don’t even understand the thought process that makes people think lying to each other is okay. What is the purpose?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is why I get angry about boxing talk. This is a lie and you know it’s a lie but you have no problem saying it. I see this crap multiple times a day. (Not necessarily from you)I don’t even understand the thought process that makes people think lying to each other is okay. What is the purpose?

Exactly where is the lying part? "Too old"?? Floyd's 41, and would be 42 by the time a Canelo fight would be made. Forty-two is ancient for the smaller weights.

"Too small"?? You're kidding, right? Canelo could easily pass for a cruiserweight..... and Floyd has ZERO business going within sniffing distance of 160. Overruled.

"Too irrevelant"?? This one must be the lie, I guess. So you feel Floyd is still relevant in boxing today? (cough)..... Well... you're certainly entitled to your opinion (chuckle).

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Exactly where is the lying part? "Too old"?? Floyd's 41, and would be 42 by the time a Canelo fight would be made. Forty-two is ancient for the smaller weights.

"Too small"?? You're kidding, right? Canelo could easily pass for a cruiserweight..... and Floyd has ZERO business going within sniffing distance of 160. Overruled.

"Too irrevelant"?? This one must be the lie, I guess. So you feel Floyd is still relevant in boxing today? (cough)..... Well... you're certainly entitled to your opinion (chuckle).
    To be fair if Floyd announced he was returning to fight Canelo at 160, that would be big time relevant. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

Agree with the rest. Ron are you saying Floyd could return and defeat the current Canelo?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be fair if Floyd announced he was returning to fight Canelo at 160, that would be big time relevant. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

Agree with the rest. Ron are you saying Floyd could return and defeat the current Canelo?

Master called Floyd irrelevant, which I personally believe he is. Those still hanging on to shreds of hope he'll come back are quickly dwindling in number, IMO. Of course if he signs to fight Canelo it'll be relevant in boxing, no matter how "circus-y" it is. But it's a sad statement to make for boxing, that a 41-year old retiree who hasn't had a legitimate boxing match in three years can still make a fight like this relevant.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Master called Floyd irrelevant, which I personally believe he is. Those still hanging on to shreds of hope he'll come back are quickly dwindling in number, IMO. Of course if he signs to fight Canelo it'll be relevant in boxing, no matter how "circus-y" it is. But it's a sad statement to make for boxing, that a 41-year old retiree who hasn't had a legitimate boxing match in three years can still make a fight like this relevant.
    If he's going to hang around, I'd prefer he fight Canelo, or even fights with Spence, Crawford at 147, or Hurd, Charlo at 154. Or Mikey at 150 , rather than McGregor or Pac. Otherwise I'm not interested.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he's going to hang around, I'd prefer he fight Canelo, or even fights with Spence, Crawford at 147, or Hurd, Charlo at 154. Or Mikey at 150 , rather than McGregor or Pac. Otherwise I'm not interested.

He knows at this point Spence or Crawford would kill him, and at a weight he's supposed to be comfortable at. Ditto Hurd and Charlo.

With Canelo he can always say, oh... but how could anyone have expected me to beat that monster at 160. The mind works in mysterious ways.

Nightmare scenario: Floyd fights Canelo at 160.... loses.... adds to Canelo's myth.... while having a good excuse to have lost his "0".

But you're right. Pacquiao is been there done that, and McGregor is (shudder) just ridiculous shet.

Thread Information