Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fury v Wilder - Staples Center, Los Angeles 1/12/18

Has Fury ever been noticeably out of shape for a fight? Genuinely asking. If he’s able to do what he wants to do in there, that will be keep things at a low pace and box. Naturally people will make it about his condition, as he got so fat and out of his tree during the lay-off, but it’s going to boil down to raw ability and being able to execute a plan. If it becomes a dog fight for any length, it’s going to get ugly for Fury.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Has Fury ever been noticeably out of shape for a fight? Genuinely asking. If he’s able to do what he wants to do in there, that will be keep things at a low pace and box. Naturally people will make it about his condition, as he got so fat and out of his tree during the lay-off, but it’s going to boil down to raw ability and being able to execute a plan. If it becomes a dog fight for any length, it’s going to get ugly for Fury.
    Wilder's team should know that setting a fast pace is to their advantage. Depending on where Fury is at this stage, I'm not sure Wilder can enforce that tho. I have a feeling this will be a horrible fight to watch.
    They live, We sleep

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I honestly don't think his physical shape good or bad would stop him from fighting how he does...it's all reach, upper body movement, and balance, he's got exceptional footwork for a big man.

I think he could be a bit out of shape vs Wilder and it wouldn't impact his performance one way or the other.

Not sure Wilder would work the body anyway

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder: Freddie Roach and Ricky Hatton to be in Brit’s corner on fight night

Both Freddie Roach and Ricky Hatton will be in Tyson Fury’s corner for his WBC Heavyweight Championship bout against Deontay Wilder on 1 December.

Fury has spent his training camp in the San Bernardino mountains at Roach’s Big Bear training facility in California and the legendary coach is believed to have been a constant presence in his camp alongside primary trainer Ben Davison.

Roach has previously worked with the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, James Toney and Amir Khan and is considered to be one of the best trainers in the history of the sport.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Roach said:

“He asked me if I’d work in his corner. He asked me if I could do cuts. I said, ‘Yeah, I have guys better than me though.’ He said, ‘Do you know what you’re doing?’ And I said, ‘Of course I do - I have everything you need.’ So I’m the cut man.”

“I like him - he’s very positive and he has a good idea of how he is going to win this fight,” Roach said. “He’s got good legs, he feints well. He’s a talented guy.”

Both Freddie Roach and Ricky Hatton will be in Tyson Fury’s corner for his WBC Heavyweight Championship bout against Deontay Wilder on 1 December.

Fury has spent his training camp in the San Bernardino mountains at Roach’s Big Bear training facility in California and the legendary coach is believed to have been a constant presence in his camp alongside primary trainer Ben Davison.

Roach has previously worked with the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, James Toney and Amir Khan and is considered to be one of the best trainers in the history of the sport.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Roach said:

“He asked me if I’d work in his corner. He asked me if I could do cuts. I said, ‘Yeah, I have guys better than me though.’ He said, ‘Do you know what you’re doing?’ And I said, ‘Of course I do - I have everything you need.’ So I’m the cut man.”

“I like him - he’s very positive and he has a good idea of how he is going to win this fight,” Roach said. “He’s got good legs, he feints well. He’s a talented guy.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/tys...152105325.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Expect ticket price slashes coming soon.

They really failed with this card. Not 1 fighter from LA on the card. This should have been in the UK.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where you getting the info on ticket sales?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was only 7000 sold up till last weekend in a venue that seats 21,000.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's piss poor. I can understand why it's not selling like others do but not why it's that bad.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    That's piss poor. I can understand why it's not selling like others do but not why it's that bad.
    I would say "What about the card as a whole".....it's actually not all that bad of a card though, should be some very interesting, entertaining fights going on.

That said, California at the time is a place on fire.....LITERALLY....so perhaps folks ain't all excited about heading to the fights as they typically would be if it didn't look like Hell itself was rising out of the San Andreas

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I would say "What about the card as a whole".....it's actually not all that bad of a card though, should be some very interesting, entertaining fights going on.

That said, California at the time is a place on fire.....LITERALLY....so perhaps folks ain't all excited about heading to the fights as they typically would be if it didn't look like Hell itself was rising out of the San Andreas

Yeah good point about the fires. Which just brings to the forefront the question as to why Staples Center in L.A. was chosen in the first place. Seems Wilder is playing tic-tac-toe around the established places for boxing. Alabama won't cut it anymore... so he goes to Barclay in Brooklyn (what... no MSG?). Now he hits the revered boxing site Staples Center in boxing-mad L.A. Las Vegas it seems, was missed by the pilots who continued on to Los Angeles.

Yeah... it all makes a lot of sense.

El Kabong Guest

I don't place all the blame on Wilder....could he have been managed and promoted better? Yeah I guess, but he could have also been pushed way too fast and already be a nobody. He could EASILY be another Michael Grant and not to dis Michael Grant too much, but hey he didn't have much of a following either.

I think American boxing fans celebrate a few things, tenacity, heart, excitement, and quality....been hard to tell honestly with Wilder which of those he TRULY has and American fans have been burned before. I think they're being very cautious with the guy because they don't want to get stung again.....it kind of sucks to have faith in a fighter and just see them fail miserably.

I remember having all the faith in the world over Andy Lee and then just seeing that guy peak at what I considered a very low point for his ability, it just makes you jaded. And you look at the American heavyweight scene since the era of Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, and it's just a wasteland of one hit wonders, giant duds, and guys who had their careers cut short by injury.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Expect ticket price slashes coming soon.

They really failed with this card. Not 1 fighter from LA on the card. This should have been in the UK.
    Wilder just a minority sport in the US, fight 40 nonces for less viewers than the wrestling, or even worse MMA! Fury has an easy night acting like a pub bouncer with the local hooligan. Fair play to Warren, and I'm not a fan, he saw his opportunity and took it.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm no Wilder fan, but I'd be happy for him to win this. You know, Fury reached the top and threw it away. It's great what he's done to get back to this stage, but he might have blown it.

Wilder's still grinding to get to the top.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Full Card -

12 – WBC heavyweight title

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury

12 IBF/WBA/IBO super welterweight titles

Jarrett Hurd v Jason Welborn

12 – vacant IBF minimumweight title

Mark Anthony Barriga v Carlos Licona

10 – heavyweight

Luis Ortiz v Travis Kauffman

10 – heavyweight

Joe Joyce v Joe Hanks

10 – heavyweight

Chris Arreola v Maurenzo Smith

10 – light heavyweight

Anthony Yarde v TBA

8 – super featherweight

Isaac Lowe v Lucas Baez

8 – super bantamweight

Jesse Rodriguez v Axel Vega

4 – cruiserweight

Marsellos Wilder v David Damore

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Piss poor undercard, really dreadful. There was talk initially of Santa Cruz vs GARY Russell and Mares vs gervonta davis, I think those fights are even still happening at a later date? Lsc and Mares are both from LA and sell tickets, and those fights would have made it a mega event for any boxing fan. I’d almost guarantee the numbers they would have propped this card up by would have made any demands they had as far as purses been well worth it. You have to think someone really shit the bed here.

Thread Information