Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  51
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Terence Crawford- the best P4P in the sport today!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Terence Crawford- the best P4P in the sport today!

Fight did big viewing numbers, which is great to hear.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I'm split. I don't think Crawfords list of opponents matches Loma. But I honestly think Crawford is more diverse with a better arsenal.
    Not trolling or making this a right/wrong debate, because I think this is all subjective, just curious as to who you think Crawford beat that is as good as Linares and Walters. To me both of those guys are very tough in their own way. Linares is a hell of a technician in the ring, rangy, good power, great experience...etc., while Walters is a beast. He had a shaky performance right before Loma, so I can see how people would rank him a little lower, but the guy is an animal in the ring and Loma toyed with him and made him quit. Rigo was too small for Loma, but he is a great fighter also. Don’t give Loma as much credit due to the size difference.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t think Linares or Walters merit anything over say Gamboa, postal, or benavidez. Not weighing in on Crawford vs loma, both are right up there for me,just record wise I wouldn’t split them.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want to claim Crawford P4P no.1 due to the "eye test" then fine but to try and spin his wins as even on a par with Loma is ridiculous. All this hoopla from beating a no-mark in Benavidez, a man who self-proclaimed "hardcores" were getting confused with his brother in the build up.

Crawford is without doubt a P4P worthy elite, however, the man quite simply is lacking a top drawer dance partner. He has never fought anyone getting close to the HOF.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    If you want to claim Crawford P4P no.1 due to the "eye test" then fine but to try and spin his wins as even on a par with Loma is ridiculous. All this hoopla from beating a no-mark in Benavidez, a man who self-proclaimed "hardcores" were getting confused with his brother in the build up.

Crawford is without doubt a P4P worthy elite, however, the man quite simply is lacking a top drawer dance partner. He has never fought anyone getting close to the HOF.

Loma has, though? Linares, regardless of potential, did get iced by all of his best opponents prior. Walters looked good in one fight..... I’m not sure where you get ridiculous from? Postol and Gamboa were very good fighters, I just don’t see any real gulf at all...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

Loma has, though? Linares, regardless of potential, did get iced by all of his best opponents prior. Walters looked good in one fight..... I’m not sure where you get ridiculous from? Postol and Gamboa were very good fighters, I just don’t see any real gulf at all...
    I’m not claiming that Crawford has fought an elite opponent, but everyone keeps bringing up Linares for Loma as if he were elite. Linares is a solid fighter but is not a career defining kind of fight IMO. Linares had been stopped many times before and had close fights with decent fighters.

Walters is hard to gauge because he looked good before but took a ton of time off and just looked out of it for the Loma fight. He then hasn’t fought again. Again, not at all a bad win, but just don’t know how much better of a win than Crawford’s win against Postol.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That’s all I was saying.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't say Linares got beat by all his "best" opponents, Loma beat him when he was a three weight "world" champion, No. 1 ranked lightweight (The Ring champion), unbeaten for half-a-dozen years and had flirted in-and-out of P4P lists for a decade.

Walter's was regarded the no.1 featherweight (The Ring), unbeaten, had sparkos over former elites and was robbed - with a draw - against a man who was "robbed" against Gamboa.

Postol and Gamboa are good fighters but what makes them better on paper than Rigo, Russell Jr, Martinez, Marriaga or Sosa? Loma has a couple of HOFamers on his record inside a dozen fights.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn’t even imply they were better, just that it’s easy to chalk them up to being as good. Linares truly had lost to the best guys he fought before loma, that’s pretty hard to argue imo.
    I’m not about to say that lomanchenko isn’t great or that the guys he fought so soon into his career isn’t, that wasn’t the point.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still think that Russell jr is Lomas best win. I think it’s a very underrated win

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

I’m not claiming that Crawford has fought an elite opponent, but everyone keeps bringing up Linares for Loma as if he were elite. Linares is a solid fighter but is not a career defining kind of fight IMO. Linares had been stopped many times before and had close fights with decent fighters.

Walters is hard to gauge because he looked good before but took a ton of time off and just looked out of it for the Loma fight. He then hasn’t fought again. Again, not at all a bad win, but just don’t know how much better of a win than Crawford’s win against Postol.
    Fenster and I already went through this before. Fenster likes to ignore the fact that Loma lost to the best guy he fought, sure there were circumstances surrounding that fight, weight, low blows, Loma's '2nd' fight etc. But at the end of the day he lost to Salido who was considered the Ring's #1 going into that fight. Linares might get to the HOF but that doesn't mean sh-t these days, Gatti is in there for example. Also Linares was crowned Ring champ in a #1 vs #3 fight. On this forum, the only guy I think that has had Linares anywhere near P4P since his losses was Spicoli. Rigo? He might get into the HOF as well, but he had to move up 2 divisions for that fight, and what was his elite win again? Donaire, who did his best work at 112.

I also view Russell Jr as Loma's best win.

I see no reason that the Postol and Walters wins can't be considered similar. What were Walters' best wins again? Donaire and Vic? Guys who were at their best at Flyweight. Crawford fought Postal at 140 after Postal had defeated the #1 guy in the division at the time Matthysse.

Indongo was a unified beltholder and if your going to give Linares a pass for his losses, at least Indongo was beaten by top guys.

Crawford was arguably the lineal champ at 135 and 140. Has Loma been lineal yet?

None of these guys have elite wins/ records yet, but no one has a more outstanding record than the others really. If you really want to go by record then Usyk is probably at the top.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

P4P threads sure get posters animated with their various views and opinions.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I'm split. I don't think Crawfords list of opponents matches Loma. But I honestly think Crawford is more diverse with a better arsenal.
    Not trolling or making this a right/wrong debate, because I think this is all subjective, just curious as to who you think Crawford beat that is as good as Linares and Walters. To me both of those guys are very tough in their own way. Linares is a hell of a technician in the ring, rangy, good power, great experience...etc., while Walters is a beast. He had a shaky performance right before Loma, so I can see how people would rank him a little lower, but the guy is an animal in the ring and Loma toyed with him and made him quit. Rigo was too small for Loma, but he is a great fighter also. Don’t give Loma as much credit due to the size difference.
    Mmm yeh bud I'm actually with you there as I don't think Crawfords opponent level matches that of Lomas. As much as I like the guy I honestly don't think Crawford has faced anyone on the level of Linares. Now thats not to say that he couldn't handle the full room at 147 and I think he does, save for Spence in a match that to me is immensely close with a very very slight edge to Spence if forced to pick. I can see Crawford being somewhat susceptible to the body attack of Spence but also think that the small defensive lapses Spence has shown..gets stationary, stands tall in spots..can be exploited by a more mobile switch hitting Crawford. Power, inside work edge to Spence and I think thats what it comes down to. A fight Crawford would be well advised to keep his tongue in his mouth and resist the urge to clown.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Also, I don’t have to speak about Spence’s offer to Crawford because Bob admitted he isn’t interested while saying they want it. It’s like people don’t actually pay attention to what Bob actually says. He says he wants to negotiate but he wants it fair to all networks. That is a huge roadblock. Negotiation stops before it starts. There is no fair negotiation between ESPN and Showtime/Fox because ESPN(Arum/Crawford) don’t have the budget to compete with Showtime/Fox(Haymon/Spence). If Arum really wanted the fight he would say they will negotiate with whoever will pay the most. That is so obviously how it should be done. When you aren’t willing to do it how it should be done you aren’t willing to do it. The rest is lip service and misdirection. Not sure how many times Arum needs to lie before people understand he’s a liar.
    You did the same song and dance about Loma vs Linares, and at the end of the day it got done.

Any boxing fan should know that talk is cheap. Paying attention to what anyone says outside the ring is pointless. What happens in the ring once the bell rings is all that matters.

In saying that at least Arum has presented some options, joint PPV, sharing fighters etc. What has team Spence/ Haymon/ PBC/ Showtime/ Fox mentioned so far?

You did say that Crawford isn't fighting Spence, which is true, newsflash: Spence ain't fighting Crawford either. Kind of makes the statement redundant.

Agree they will fight when the time is right, but like others have mentioned, Spence's record is far from stellar. If Thurman is still around, then he, in my opinion is the man to beat.

Haymon has most of the top guys at 147, so if anyone's to blame for Spence not getting the right fights, it's him.

If things go the norm, Spence will end up fighting Ugas. Crawford will fight his mando and things will go round and round until at least 2020. I hope I'm wrong and we can get this fight towards the end of next year.
    Why say something that is redundant then say it is redundant. Of course Spence isn’t fighting Crawford. This is why I find it so peculiar people are up in arms I said Crawford isn’t fighting Spence. It’s a fact.

I could understand people being bothered if I said Crawford isn’t going to fight Spence but that’s a completely different statement and had nothing to do with what I was talking about. I was talking about the point of the thread saying Crawford is the best. As I said, easy to say when he isn’t fighting Spence.... when he does the thread will have proof or be refuted.

Edit- just looked back and saw I said when he won’t fight Spence. Poor wording on my part misrepresenting what I meant. This whole circle is actually my fault, my bad
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 10-18-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't say Linares got beat by all his "best" opponents, Loma beat him when he was a three weight "world" champion, No. 1 ranked lightweight (The Ring champion), unbeaten for half-a-dozen years and had flirted in-and-out of P4P lists for a decade.

Walter's was regarded the no.1 featherweight (The Ring), unbeaten, had sparkos over former elites and was robbed - with a draw - against a man who was "robbed" against Gamboa.

Postol and Gamboa are good fighters but what makes them better on paper than Rigo, Russell Jr, Martinez, Marriaga or Sosa? Loma has a couple of HOFamers on his record inside a dozen fights.
    Nobody in their right mind would pick Linares over Garcia so take the thought he was number 1 at LW and discard it because it’s simply not true.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 10-18-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Thread Information