Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Gennady Golovkin’s next fight: Ryota Murata named as frontrunner for Japan bout

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gennady Golovkin’s next fight: Ryota Murata named as frontrunner for Japan bout

GGG will likely return to the ring between March and May 2019

Japanese middleweight Ryota Murata has emerged as an unlikely frontrunner for Gennady Golovkin’s next fight.

The former unified middleweight king suffered the first defeat of his career by close, majority decision to Canelo Alvarez in September, and the pair will go their separate ways for the time being.

With Canelo now set to fight Rocky Fielding in December and signed exclusively to fledgling US streaming service DAZN, GGG’s team are instead looking at potential alternative opponents for his next bout.

His promoter Tom Loeffler told ESPN: “Murata fights this weekend and he is a very attractive option if he beats Rob Brant. That fight seems like it is very makeable.

“Gennady has always enjoyed fighting internationally.

“We know what GGG brings to the table and Murata brings monster ratings in Japan and he is very popular.

“I would say he has distinguished himself as the frontrunner if he can win on Saturday night.”

Murata is a London 2012 Olympic gold medallist who has risen to become WBA ‘regular’ middleweight champion as a professional.

He has a record of 14-1 and avenged his sole defeat (which was widely considered a robbery) by knockout.

The proposed fight would take place at the Tokyo Dome in Murata’s native Japan – the same arena in which Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson back in 1990.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...-ryota-murata/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin’s next fight: Ryota Murata named as frontrunner for Japan bout

If Canelo is getting a breather with Fielding, and Charlo's looking at Sulecki, then a money fight with Murata for a 'belt' is a good move for GGG.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin’s next fight: Ryota Murata named as frontrunner for Japan bout

Solid fight if made

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can’t blame a guy for getting paid but I would prefer a more talented opponent. Is what it is. If you all say it is exciting I will check it out on YouTube

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Can’t blame a guy for getting paid but I would prefer a more talented opponent. Is what it is. If you all say it is exciting I will check it out on YouTube
    With Charlo looking at Sulecki what is he supposed to do? Murata gets him a good payday, probably in front of millions, also gets him a belt to bring to negotiations.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    With Charlo looking at Sulecki what is he supposed to do? Murata gets him a good payday, probably in front of millions, also gets him a belt to bring to negotiations.
    He could show interest in a Charlo fight and see what happens. Charlo posted a picture of him and GGG a while back, further indications like the countless times he has said he wants GGG that he wants GGG. He could say he will drop the petition to avoid and take the eliminator. Maybe Charlo doesn’t really want GGG. We don’t know because he’s never had the option.

Or he can get paid. I don’t really care anymore. Sulecki just gave Jacobs fits. I’m intrigued by a Sulecki fight. We’ll have a better understanding of if Charlo is who we think he is.

Like I said, I’m not hating on GGG getting paid. Is Sulecki considered another eliminator? I don’t think the WBC will ever enforce his mandatory spot now that Canelo has the belt, I’m just curious.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a lot better than having Golovkin box some Japanese MMA fighter who has never boxed before, like Floyd Mayweather is doing.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    It's a lot better than having Golovkin box some Japanese MMA fighter who has never boxed before, like Floyd Mayweather is doing.
    Floyd is retired, I won’t be watching the old man in an exhibition. Strange you would compare GGG, a current top fighter with a retired old man. Quite an insult to what GGGs goals are.

Thread Information