Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: They're talking GGG-Brant now

FTR in a vacuum I have no problem with a Brant fight. It’s when you look it it through the scope of years and years of not taking on the very best that it’s bothersome. And I don’t care to hear about who didn’t want to fight him. I only care about who he could fight and chose not to. And I only care about that because I’ve always thought very highly of him as a fighter. My issue with GGG is the endless run of uninspiring opponents. And how it is all explained away. Right now he can choose ANYONE. Right now he should choose the best opponents.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got one wouldn't be happy with a Brant fight, Murata brought big money and a title, which made sense for GGG and his family. Funny thing is, I'd see GGG making the same dollars for a Jacobs, Charlo, or Andrade fight, as he would fighting Brant. Saunders is suspended for 6 months.

I'd love to see him face Jacobs next, then face Canelo in Sep.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    FTR in a vacuum I have no problem with a Brant fight. It’s when you look it it through the scope of years and years of not taking on the very best that it’s bothersome. And I don’t care to hear about who didn’t want to fight him. I only care about who he could fight and chose not to. And I only care about that because I’ve always thought very highly of him as a fighter. My issue with GGG is the endless run of uninspiring opponents. And how it is all explained away. Right now he can choose ANYONE. Right now he should choose the best opponents.

I have to keep reminding myself of that because your rants are pretty hard. (That's not a criticism, by the way). Because as hard as you rant about GGG not fighting certain people, I rarely see you rant about "the other guy" moving up to fight Fielding. So I tell myself it's because you don't think very highly of him as a fighter. If so, then we're on the same page because I certainly don't. Nor do I respect his own "years and years of not taking on the very best". Most of what you wrote I apply one-million-fold to "the other guy." In all honesty, I'd love to see GGG-Jacobs II, GGG-Andrade, or even GGG-Charlo, although like I said Charlo is a newcomer to the division.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I got one wouldn't be happy with a Brant fight, Murata brought big money and a title, which made sense for GGG and his family. Funny thing is, I'd see GGG making the same dollars for a Jacobs, Charlo, or Andrade fight, as he would fighting Brant. Saunders is suspended for 6 months.

Here’s my problem with a third Canelo fight. Let’s say that GGG got the decision in both fights. Let’s pretend that the judges saw it like 85% of the spectators. Would facing Canelo a third time really be a fight you would be calling for?

That’s my problem. They were entertaining fights, but I would much rather see him fight another top middleweight that he hasn’t fought before or even Jacobs who has earned a rematch because of how close the first fight was. I don’t take bad judging into account when I rank who the best fighters are or who they should fight in the future

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

Here’s my problem with a third Canelo fight. Let’s say that GGG got the decision in both fights. Let’s pretend that the judges saw it like 85% of the spectators. Would facing Canelo a third time really be a fight you would be calling for?

That’s my problem. They were entertaining fights, but I would much rather see him fight another top middleweight that he hasn’t fought before or even Jacobs who has earned a rematch because of how close the first fight was. I don’t take bad judging into account when I rank who the best fighters are or who they should fight in the future
    To your first question, I would like to see a 3rd fight, I wasn't really interested in the rematch as I thought GGG had won the first, but GGG was getting a good payday and the chance to correct the wrong, so I wasn't that fussed.

The 2nd fight was really good and I would like to see a repeat of that. GGG has slipped enough and Canelo has improved enough to where a 3rd fight is 50/50 and has the makings of another exciting gruelling battle. And again it would be another big payday for GGG and Canelo I guess is the 'champion'.

That's not saying that I wouldn't want see GGG fight Jacobs, Charlo, Saunders, Andrade or Brant, but Canelo 2 was more entertaining for me than GGG/Jacobs, Andrade and Brant fights don't strike me as barn burners.

It also depends on what network GGG goes with. ESPN could get him Brant, Showtime could get him Charlo, DAZN gets him closer to Canelo, and could get him Jacobs, Andrade etc.

I would also like to see some of these other guys fight each other as well.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To your first question, I would like to see a 3rd fight, I wasn't really interested in the rematch as I thought GGG had won the first, but GGG was getting a good payday and the chance to correct the wrong, so I wasn't that fussed.

The 2nd fight was really good and I would like to see a repeat of that. GGG has slipped enough and Canelo has improved enough to where a 3rd fight is 50/50 and has the makings of another exciting gruelling battle. And again it would be another big payday for GGG and Canelo I guess is the 'champion'.

That's not saying that I wouldn't want see GGG fight Jacobs, Charlo, Saunders, Andrade or Brant, but Canelo 2 was more entertaining for me than GGG/Jacobs, Andrade and Brant fights don't strike me as barn burners.

It also depends on what network GGG goes with. ESPN could get him Brant, Showtime could get him Charlo, DAZN gets him closer to Canelo, and could get him Jacobs, Andrade etc.

I get all of that, but are you wanting a third Canelo fight only because of judging sake? Because if GGG got the decision in both fights, I would be shocked if you or anybody else would be saying a third fight between the two were anywhere near acceptable over GGG fighting other top fighters.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get all of that, but are you wanting a third Canelo fight only because of judging sake? Because if GGG got the decision in both fights, I would be shocked if you or anybody else would be saying a third fight between the two were anywhere near acceptable over GGG fighting other top fighters.
    No not for judging sake, based off the last fight, I want to see that again. As I said, it was more entertaining for me than GGG/Jacobs. Which is the fight I would like to see GGG take next.

Let's be realistic, if GGG signs to fight 1 of these guys, let's say it is Jacobs. There is no reason that fights between the likes of Charlo, Andrade, Brant, Derevyanchenko, Saunders can't happen. We could at least hope for at least 1 other fight to be made between those guys.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No not for judging sake, based off the last fight, I want to see that again. As I said, it was more entertaining for me than GGG/Jacobs. Which is the fight I would like to see GGG take next.

Let's be realistic, if GGG signs to fight 1 of these guys, let's say it is Jacobs. There is no reason that fights between the likes of Charlo, Andrade, Brant, Derevyanchenko, Saunders can't happen. We could at least hope for at least 1 other fight to be made between those guys.
    I for sure agree that these guys should fight each other too. I’m not disputing that. GGG is at the end of his career and finally has a good crop of MWs to pick from and it will be disappointing if he doesn’t fight them before getting too old. Canelo also should be fighting top MWs instead of going up and fighting a less than stellar fighter.

I also understand that networks are an obvious roadblock for certain fights being made, but it’s just hard to believe you when you say that you would prefer GGG-Canelo 3 (if GGG had officially won both fights) instead of them both facing other MWs. Entertainment is a big part of sports, and I like brawls as much as the next guy, but I would much rather see who the best is rather than seeing two guys keep fighting each other and avoiding the other guys in the division.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I for sure agree that these guys should fight each other too. I’m not disputing that. GGG is at the end of his career and finally has a good crop of MWs to pick from and it will be disappointing if he doesn’t fight them before getting too old. Canelo also should be fighting top MWs instead of going up and fighting a less than stellar fighter.

I also understand that networks are an obvious roadblock for certain fights being made, but it’s just hard to believe you when you say that you would prefer GGG-Canelo 3 (if GGG had officially won both fights) instead of them both facing other MWs. Entertainment is a big part of sports, and I like brawls as much as the next guy, but I would much rather see who the best is rather than seeing two guys keep fighting each other and avoiding the other guys in the division.
    Like I said, I didn't really care for the rematch but it happened and here we are. After seeing the 2nd fight, I think a 3rd will be awesome.

Had GGG won both fights, I'd still like to see a third, because it's a good fight between 2 top guys. And I'm sure would still GGG's biggest payday.

I would have preferred GGG to face Jacobs in a rematch, rather than the Canelo rematch, but that didn't happen. Now I'd prefer to see him face Jacobs and then Canelo in September. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jacobs
    Canelo
    Canelo

In three of his last four fights Golovkin has faced top three ranked middleweights, he's done exactly what you're claiming he hasn't.

Now we all know you don't hate Golovkin, don't worry, Ron, we know you DO NOT hate Golovkin, but it seems from the evidence above that even when Golovkin has faced the best guys available you claim he hasn't.

Unfortunately, Ron, there's not a serious boxing fan on earth who can make a case for Charlo being a bigger fight for Golovkin than those two. Swap either for Charlo and Golovkin's resume/status becomes weaker.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Jacobs
    Canelo
    Canelo

In three of his last four fights Golovkin has faced top three ranked middleweights, he's done exactly what you're claiming he hasn't.

Now we all know you don't hate Golovkin, don't worry, Ron, we know you DO NOT hate Golovkin, but it seems from the evidence above that even when Golovkin has faced the best guys available you claim he hasn't.

Unfortunately, Ron, there's not a serious boxing fan on earth who can make a case for Charlo being a bigger fight for Golovkin than those two. Swap either for Charlo and Golovkin's resume/status becomes weaker.
    I knew you couldn’t resist your chance to try to deceive everyone.

In one argument it’s all what you’ve done at a weight. Well what the f has Canelo done at the weight? Let’s look

Cotto, was never a real MW, win
    GGG, lost and got a BS decision
    GGG, most feel he lost again

So by most accounts he is 1-2 with exactly 0 wins against a real MW. By your method he clearly is not one of the best MWs.

Everyone here recognizes I am not saying Charlo is the only fight. But again you attempt to deceive. It’s what you do.

Tell us again how good Murata is. Tell us how good Brant is. Or maybe it isn’t about how good they are at all, how completely off the point of sport that is.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This really is quite simple. Nobody was saying “what I really want to see is GGG vs Murata”, sure it makes sense and can be justified but it wasn’t the fight anyone wanted.

That falls off the table and again we get a name that can be justified but again it isn’t one of the fights anyone wanted.

When you constantly have to defend without consideration to best opponents you have to resort to tricks like Fenster or acknowledge there are fights we want and are not getting, and have not been getting. Brant is an okay fight but it isn’t among the desired fights, Murata was an okay fight but not amongst the desired fights.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This has turned into a pretty good argument.

Ron, I'd put out there the thought that sometimes it sounds like GGG only has one or two fights left in his future. That's the only way I can comprehend your insistence that GGG fight Charlo NOW. I could understand if GGG were feasting on the old, undersized, weaker members of the herd..... but that's just not the case. Let's not forget that GGG did face Jacobs only a few fights ago, early last year. This all tends to get swept under the rug. Some people, apparently including yourself, get put off by the Canelo dilogy with potential of becoming a trilogy. They were both great fights, particularly the 2nd one, if you excuse the blatant robberies. GGG got a lot more notoriety and recognition (and money) than he would've ever gotten without Canelo in his life. More casuals know GGG now than they ever did before. But back on point. GGG isn't talking about retirement yet. Let him do Brant, then let's see where he goes from there. I'll guarantee you this.... he won't be dredging the bottom of the barrel looking for a "legacy defining" fight.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This really is quite simple. Nobody was saying “what I really want to see is GGG vs Murata”, sure it makes sense and can be justified but it wasn’t the fight anyone wanted.

That falls off the table and again we get a name that can be justified but again it isn’t one of the fights anyone wanted.

When you constantly have to defend without consideration to best opponents you have to resort to tricks like Fenster or acknowledge there are fights we want and are not getting, and have not been getting. Brant is an okay fight but it isn’t among the desired fights, Murata was an okay fight but not amongst the desired fights.
    Can we justify Centeno or Monroe? Both very far from desired.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can we justify Centeno or Monroe? Both very far from desired.
    I think the difference is that GGG can basically have his pick because everybody is lining up to fight him. No one is lining up to fight Charlo because he is a high risk low reward fight. I think once Charlo breaks through, he will take big fights.

I just think that GGG is looking at the money at this point in his career (understandably) and that’s why he can take an easy fight (Brant) and stall until a third Canelo fight. I get his reasoning, but as a fan of the sport, I want to see GGG other fighters.

Thread Information