Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My hat's off to Tyson Fury

That's a good question. I need to rewatch the fight properly myself. Was thinking that just maybe that is the best Fury can be and that Wilder could and should make serious adjustments of his own. He has the power, but needs to not smother himself so much or waste punches and use his legs to get in and out better.

Fury fought a perfect fight but still a few non KD rounds and found himself against two 10-8's as well. Wilder still made it close fighting a fight in which he has admitted he didn't follow a plan and became right hand hunting happy.

Wilder used the left well at times, did start to land the right better later, but the jab needed to be more effective. All those things can be better. Wilder needs to be ready for 12 hard rounds and not always hope the KO will come. Sometimes it won't.

Then again. He might well blow Fury out in 1 next time. You never know. Fury fought an excellent fight. Have to give him credit. Wilder fought a subdued fight but still made it close IMO because of the power. You cannot always rely on power though.

Wilder is freaky though. Looks like a skinny tall man, but he can fell oak trees.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couldn’t watch the fight too busy at work. I was going to avoid all reviews here but couldn’t hold off. My unbiased opinion through my readings is Deontae won easily and the brits can’t take it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury would have won that fight had it not been for the knockdowns. Fury is by far the superior boxer- We know that. NOW we know he has a good chin and the heart to get back up and get back to his game plan.

I think Fury wins the rematch!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Fury would have won that fight had it not been for the knockdowns. Fury is by far the superior boxer- We know that. NOW we know he has a good chin and the heart to get back up and get back to his game plan.

WOULD have won if not for the KD’s. I’d be a billionaire if I won lotto. Would, should, if are meaningless after a fight.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

WOULD have won if not for the KD’s. I’d be a billionaire if I won lotto. Would, should, if are meaningless after a fight.
    In reality, it is what it is. The points deductions from the KD's made the difference. Fury controlled this fight. From start to end.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I admit that I was wrong. I did not think that Fury would be so sharp. He proved that he hasn’t lost a step.

In a rematch, Fury basically has to work on a few defensive tactics. The problem with that is that it would make the fight a bit more boring. Wilder needs to figure out how to be effective with his left hand so that he can land the right hand more consistently.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Major props to Tyson for

1)taking the fight
    2)winning the fight
    3)getting up in the 12th

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Brilliant fight!!! Which was a bonus.

However, it played out exactly as I thought. Fury schooled a man with nothing more than a lethal right hand. That's it. Wilder has been easily controlled by a simple jab, feint, movement before but what he didn't expect was Fury to punish him everytime he missed winging his righthand. However, Wilder's power yet again got him out of trouble.

Fury coming back in the 12th is one of the greatest in heavyweight history, respect to Jack Reiss, it was a great call to not stop the fight.
    Spot on mate.

It went exactly as I thought, EXCEPT, I can't believe Wilder didn't go buck wild at some point. I thought Fury needed to put more sting on him to put him in his shell.

As for getting up off the floor, well, genuinely, it is in my top 5 moments in boxing in terms of unlikeliness, and actually, I'm struggling to think of a time I've been more shocked.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh and Fury won that fight.

Other than the knockdowns he lost one round.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Brilliant fight!!! Which was a bonus.

However, it played out exactly as I thought. Fury schooled a man with nothing more than a lethal right hand. That's it. Wilder has been easily controlled by a simple jab, feint, movement before but what he didn't expect was Fury to punish him everytime he missed winging his righthand. However, Wilder's power yet again got him out of trouble.

Fury coming back in the 12th is one of the greatest in heavyweight history, respect to Jack Reiss, it was a great call to not stop the fight.
    Reiss actually behaved himself really well. I'm surprised he didn't stop it when Fury went down in the twelfth. Somebody like Laurence Cole would have. Fury was still robbed though

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was started as a respect to Fury thread, but I'm gonna throw some respect Wilder's way as well.

Seen a lot of trashing of Wilder after the fight, but most are forgetting a lot of things.

First, Wilder did come within one or two seconds of KO'ing Fury in the 12th round. Most HW's wouldn't have gotten up from that right-left combo that dropped Fury. Credit Fury who did.

It was Wilder's first time seeing someone the size of Fury and fighting without fear, to boot. That must've taken some adjustments, physically and mentally, from Wilder.

Wilder's not the first, nor will he be the last, fighter to summon strange excuses after losing/ drawing/ not performing as expected in a fight. This was Wilder's first blemish on his record. Give the guy a break. Not many fighters are perfectly gracious after suffering their first blemish.

Wilder's a bit weird, yeah. So is Fury for that matter. But Wilder was weird BEFORE the fight. It's not like suddenly changed personalities after the fight.

The fight itself was good. Better than most of us expected. I'll watch the replay again, but Wilder did not lose every round (other than the KD rounds) in the fight. Fury did not connect with every jab he threw from the opening bell, regardless of what "expert commentator" Paulie kept saying.

These were two guys who gave it their all in the ring that night. I'm all for giving Fury his due credit and respect, but I find it sad to see everyone piling on Wilder as a result. Again....... I'd love to see them do it again.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm now wondering how much Wilder will want a rematch.

How much was he relying (hoping) on Fury not being 12 round fit ?

mentally he'll be thinking (and i fully understand why) he can't outbox or outpoint him and that in a rematch he will need a KO. And Fury will be fitter for the rematch you'd think
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

mentally he'll be thinking (and i fully understand why) he can't outbox or outpoint him and that in a rematch he will need a KO. And Fury will be fitter for the rematch you'd think

On the other hand, he may have been heartened at seeing how his power can still be the equalizer in a rematch. Make some adjustments (provided he's capable of doing so).... go in there knowing a bit more about your opponent.... and I don't see why Wilder should shy away from a rematch.

I know most here think Wilder's a mental midget (and probably his team also). But I prefer to think they're capable of going back to the drawing board and making some adjustments after having experienced something for the first time.

Yes, Fury could be fitter for a rematch. But you gotta admit he surprised us all with his fitness for THIS fight. He went 12 rounds... he got back up from two knockdowns... and he put on a masterful display. If anybody, it was Wilder who seemed gassed toward the end.

Maybe I'm wrong, but so far Wilder hasn't done anything to prove he's not mentally capable to deal with this adversity. Until then, I'd still like to see a rematch.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

On the other hand, he may have been heartened at seeing how his power can still be the equalizer in a rematch. Make some adjustments (provided he's capable of doing so).... go in there knowing a bit more about your opponent.... and I don't see why Wilder should shy away from a rematch.

I know most here think Wilder's a mental midget (and probably his team also). But I prefer to think they're capable of going back to the drawing board and making some adjustments after having experienced something for the first time.

Yes, Fury could be fitter for a rematch. But you gotta admit he surprised us all with his fitness for THIS fight. He went 12 rounds... he got back up from two knockdowns... and he put on a masterful display. If anybody, it was Wilder who seemed gassed toward the end.

Maybe I'm wrong, but so far Wilder hasn't done anything to prove he's not mentally capable to deal with this adversity. Until then, I'd still like to see a rematch.
    I don't think it's about being mentally capable to deal with adversity. I think it's about being mentally and technically capable of learning boxing skills, some being fundamental.
    If he has managed to go an amateur career , where he went to the Olympics and got a bronze medal , 40 pro fights , earn a World Title , defend it numerous times and still not able to improve his skillset, then how all of a sudden is he gonna do that now?
    For someone at such a high standard , these flaws are HUGE , he is so crude that it is almost unbelievable.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I don't think it's about being mentally capable to deal with adversity. I think it's about being mentally and technically capable of learning boxing skills, some being fundamental.
    If he has managed to go an amateur career , where he went to the Olympics and got a bronze medal , 40 pro fights , earn a World Title , defend it numerous times and still not able to improve his skillset, then how all of a sudden is he gonna do that now?
    For someone at such a high standard , these flaws are HUGE , he is so crude that it is almost unbelievable.

If you get straight A's through high school without having to study very hard.... then go to college and find yourself with the stark reality that you're gonna have to study.... is it beyond the realm of possibility that you could pick up good study habits and adapt to college life? I've seen people who have actually done this, albeit after crashing and burning for a semester or two. Then they adapt and recover.

Wilder never NEEDED to correct his flaws. Now he finds that he does. It's not that isn't capable of throwing a good jab.... or a straight right hand. He can and does on occasion.
    Only that now he's gonna need to, if he's going to succeed against the elite level in the division.

Thread Information