Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,515
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    453
    Cool Clicks

    Default Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    Last edited by Freedom; 12-06-2018 at 10:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,102
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    315
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Adonis Stevenson: Will Likely Survive, But Permanent Damage Likely

    Crazy. It went from bad to worse.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    56,658
    Mentioned
    490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2907
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Adonis Stevenson: Will Likely Survive, But Permanent Damage Likely

    Best wishes to him and his family....hate to see it happen but it certainly can happen and in more than just boxing.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    53,813
    Mentioned
    1359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2614
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Adonis Stevenson: Will Likely Survive, But Permanent Damage Likely

    Adonis Stevenson: Canadian suffers 'severe traumatic brain injury' after knockout



    Boxer Adonis Stevenson has suffered a "severe traumatic brain injury" after his knockout by Ukrainian Oleksandr Gvozdyk in Quebec City on Saturday.

    Stevenson, 41, boxing's oldest and longest-reigning champion, has had surgery and remains in intensive care, a statement from the hospital said.

    Stevenson's promoter Yvon Michel said on Sunday the boxer's condition had "gone from critical to stable".

    The hospital said it is too early to comment on his long-term health.

    "Mr Stevenson underwent surgery on the night of Saturday to Sunday and has since been hospitalised in the intensive care unit," said Dr Alexis Turgeon, a specialist in intensive care medicine at the Enfant-Jesus Hospital of the CHU de Quebec-Universite Laval.

    "He suffers from severe traumatic brain injury. Although critical, his situation remains stable under the circumstances.

    "His condition requires mechanical respiratory support, deep sedation and specialized neurological monitoring."

    Stevenson suffered an 11th-round knockout on Saturday during the light-heavyweight bout, slumping after a flurry of punches from Gvozdyk.

    Unbeaten Gvozdyk, 31, told a news conference on Saturday night: "I talked to the people at the hospital. He was very confused when he arrived, we suspect a concussion. It's very disturbing."

    Earlier on Sunday, Michel tweeted his thanks on behalf of Stevenson's wife and family: "Thank you for your many messages of encouragement and support. #Superman is currently under careful medical supervision of very competent doctors in a controlled environment. #hope."

    The World Boxing Council tweeted after the fight on Saturday: "The WBC and boxing community from the world join in prayers for the safe recovery of our dear friend, great fighter and exemplary human being @AdonisSuperman."

    Stevenson was making his 10th WBC title defence since winning the belt in 2013 by defeating American Chad Dawson and had successfully defended the title against Britain's Tony Bellew.

    Gvozdyk, who won an Olympic bronze medal for Ukraine at the London 2012 Games, claimed the belt in his first shot at a major title.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/46460528
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    969
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Adonis Stevenson: Will Likely Survive, But Permanent Damage Likely

    I’m sure the women he used to pimp, rape and torture wouldve got the same prognosis.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Louisville,ky
    Posts
    1,272
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    632
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Adonis Stevenson: Will Likely Survive, But Permanent Damage Likely

    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I’m sure the women he used to pimp, rape and torture wouldve got the same prognosis.

    Still I hope he recovers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    44,247
    Mentioned
    833 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3065
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    Ooh P4P you are dry. That humor is ice cold bone dry.

    It shows you that boxing is dangerous but it is a personal choice and occasionally bad things will happen.

    Not nice that these things happen, but thankfully it is not a regular thing and even after a long career many seem relatively unscathed.

    Strange that Stevenson started taking hard fights having avoided them so long but at yhe end of the day it was his choice to make. He did not need to be in the ring at 41.

    Fighters IMO should really be getting out in their mid 30's. Even my man Toney went on too long really.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,236
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    447
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Yea. Thanks for this. Anytime they have to induce a coma, the career is pretty much over and we have to wonder what kind of neurological damage will result- Will it be slightly bad like Michael Watson and/or Paul Ingle or will it be horrible Magomed Abdusalamov and/or Gerald McLellan OR will it be fatal in the short-future like Levander Johnson or Roman Simakov!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,515
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    453
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Yea. Thanks for this. Anytime they have to induce a coma, the career is pretty much over and we have to wonder what kind of neurological damage will result- Will it be slightly bad like Michael Watson and/or Paul Ingle or will it be horrible Magomed Abdusalamov and/or Gerald McLellan OR will it be fatal in the short-future like Levander Johnson or Roman Simakov!
    Yes, one thing we know for certain is that Adonis won't be boxing any more.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    36,535
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4642
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    Really sad to hear and can only hope he and family find some quality of life. Hindsight being 20-20 I wonder how stringent testing is around Quebec city etc. Stevenson always has that look of a guy who 'short circuits' when hurt, at times his movement would get rigid and legs looked odd without even getting clipped. Happened in the 1st when he went to move out. Just hope he can get off that damn ventilator.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,236
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    447
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Really sad to hear and can only hope he and family find some quality of life. Hindsight being 20-20 I wonder how stringent testing is around Quebec city etc. Stevenson always has that look of a guy who 'short circuits' when hurt, at times his movement would get rigid and legs looked odd without even getting clipped. Happened in the 1st when he went to move out. Just hope he can get off that damn ventilator.
    You're saying the first round is where he suffered the first bit of trauma? Have to look at it then.

    But sadly: THIS is why they ask fighters to train hard and fight quality opposition. Both in ring and in sparring.

    Stevenson suffered as a result because he was fighting cupcakes and then walked in to fight a demon. His fight against Jack was an indication that he clearly did not want to take on any serious challenge when Jack nearly got him out of there too.

    If not for Stevenson's power, he would have probably never had been a champion because his heart, courage and boxing skills were not there with the boxing skills being slightly above average and courage and heart were virtually nil.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11,882
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    506
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    Fucking horrible. Out on his feet and got nailed again. Can’t blame the ref it just happened rapid fire. Never a big fan of Adonis but don’t want to see this shit happen to anyone

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,236
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    447
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    This is a vid of the fight highlights. Something happened between the 4th and 5th rounds. Stevenson is clearly mixing up his feet and from here on in, kept moving to one side and being hit with the same punch over and over again- The left and right jab/cross to the right side of his head.

    Even though he was throwing punches back, when you see a fighter staggering around on his feet and being hit with the same punch over and over again, you have to realize something is wrong. But hard to notice that when a fight is a fight.

    There is nothing the ref could have done here. The fight had to continue. Even though Stevenson was going to burn out and crash sooner than later. I'm surprised he stood up that long, especially after the 8th. Fight could have been stopped at the 8th or 9th round by his CORNER.

    I would bet you ANYTHING that Stevenson was slurring, not responsive to any commands by his corner and effectively just being sent out there to fight on air.

    Sad, really! The corner was bad here.

    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    44,247
    Mentioned
    833 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3065
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    This is a vid of the fight highlights. Something happened between the 4th and 5th rounds. Stevenson is clearly mixing up his feet and from here on in, kept moving to one side and being hit with the same punch over and over again- The left and right jab/cross to the right side of his head.

    Even though he was throwing punches back, when you see a fighter staggering around on his feet and being hit with the same punch over and over again, you have to realize something is wrong. But hard to notice that when a fight is a fight.

    There is nothing the ref could have done here. The fight had to continue. Even though Stevenson was going to burn out and crash sooner than later. I'm surprised he stood up that long, especially after the 8th. Fight could have been stopped at the 8th or 9th round by his CORNER.

    I would bet you ANYTHING that Stevenson was slurring, not responsive to any commands by his corner and effectively just being sent out there to fight on air.

    Sad, really! The corner was bad here.

    I didn't watch the fight proper, but your description there sounds bad. I only caught the last couple of rounds and just assumed he was tired and getting unraveled then. From the way you describe it, it was going on for several rounds. That's rough. Boxing is a very tough sport, but I wouldn't want it to change. It's like being a firefighter, you sign up knowing the risks and occasionally bad things will happen. You just hope it does not happen very often.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,236
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    447
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Doctors say Adonis Stevenson will probably survive, but permanent damage likely

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    This is a vid of the fight highlights. Something happened between the 4th and 5th rounds. Stevenson is clearly mixing up his feet and from here on in, kept moving to one side and being hit with the same punch over and over again- The left and right jab/cross to the right side of his head.

    Even though he was throwing punches back, when you see a fighter staggering around on his feet and being hit with the same punch over and over again, you have to realize something is wrong. But hard to notice that when a fight is a fight.

    There is nothing the ref could have done here. The fight had to continue. Even though Stevenson was going to burn out and crash sooner than later. I'm surprised he stood up that long, especially after the 8th. Fight could have been stopped at the 8th or 9th round by his CORNER.

    I would bet you ANYTHING that Stevenson was slurring, not responsive to any commands by his corner and effectively just being sent out there to fight on air.

    Sad, really! The corner was bad here.

    I didn't watch the fight proper, but your description there sounds bad. I only caught the last couple of rounds and just assumed he was tired and getting unraveled then. From the way you describe it, it was going on for several rounds. That's rough. Boxing is a very tough sport, but I wouldn't want it to change. It's like being a firefighter, you sign up knowing the risks and occasionally bad things will happen. You just hope it does not happen very often.
    Yea. He was discombobluated from about the 4th. Crossing his feet. Shaky from his waste down. Getting hit with the same thing over and over again. Just a sad state of affair- I can see how he got really hurt.

    But you never know what is going on inside someone.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. When is Adonis Stevenson fighting again??
    By porkypara in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-08-2018, 11:29 AM
  2. Adonis Stevenson should be stripped!
    By ykdadamaja in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-04-2015, 10:50 PM
  3. Adonis Stevenson... Where did that come from?
    By Vendettos in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 11:06 PM
  4. Adonis Stevenson vs. Don George
    By Hulk in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-13-2012, 05:52 AM
  5. Adonis Stevenson
    By Sugar_Shaw in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 07:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Boxing Hompage | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Video Clips | Boxing Forum | Boxing Downloads| Boxing Twitter | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Quiz | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Betting Odds | Boxers Records | Auctions | Fun and Games | Articles on Boxing | World News | Earn Money from your Website | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2017 Saddo Boxing - Disclaimer l Boxing