Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Let's debunk the whole "Fury got robbed" myth

Yes friends. I finally went back and watched the fight again. I had watch two rounds TWICE (3 and 11) just to make sure. Round 3 I rewatched in slow motion. No sound either. Turned off the annoying, yelping little Paulie, who was fawning at Fury's every move. Unfortunately I couldn't turn off Steve Farhood's amazingly poor scorecard, but that just served to point out just how bad TV commentators are at scoring fights. They're no better than the rest of us. So...... without further ado, here's my official, unbiased commentary and scoring of the fight, complete with the Final Scorecard.

Round 1
    Fury did precious little through most of the round. The jabs he threw were short and/or Wilder backed away from them. What little offense there was came from Wilder. Fury did some mugging in the middle of the round which does nothing for scoring. In the last 10 seconds of the round there was a good exchange and Fury landed the better punches. Still, it was Wilder’s round. Wilder 10-9.

Round 2
    Sorry guys. Still looking for that Fury dominance and haven’t seen it yet. All I saw were more missed jabs from Fury. Wilder gets NO credit from you guys for slipping and ducking many of those jabs, many of which were thrown short in the first place. Few meaningful exchanges, but again I give the round to Wilder, as he was the one coming forward and initiating what little action there was. Wilder 10-9.

Round 3
    Round 3 could’ve gone either way. Two things stand out so far. One is how many jabs Fury actually missed in the first half of the fight. The other is how Wilder’s own jabs were simply ignored. It’s amazing how bias will change one’s perception of a fight. Fury did touch up Wilder a bit more with his jab… but then Wilder connected with his own jab and initiated most meaningful exchanges. More mugging from Fury. That and his spastic movements do nothing for me. I’m gonna be magnanimous and give the round to Fury. Fury 10-9.

Round 4
    More mugging… turning lefty… playing the part. By this time Paulie Malignaggi was extolling the “jab dominance” of Fury where there’s been nothing of the sort. If you watch carefully and without the rose-colored glasses, you’ll see Wilder easily backing away from or ducking most of those jabs, which are thrown short anyway. If anything, the most punishing jab of the round was connected by Deontay. Wilder continues to initiate the exchanges and, although missing most of his right hands, did connect a few lefts as Fury was backing away. This was Wilder’s round, and it could easily have been 4-0 at this point. Wilder 10-9.

Round 5
    This is the first round I can feel a little better giving it to Fury, and it wasn’t by a large margin. Wilder was pretty ineffective in his offense, while Fury touched him up a bit. Less mugging by Fury, which coincided with his connecting a bit more. I may still take back Round 3 though. Fury 10-9.

Round 6
    Had to go back and rewatch Round 6 again in slow motion. Fury may have stolen the round with about 1:45 left with a pitty pat flurry that was entirely caught in Wilder’s gloves, but may have swayed the judges. Aside from that, they equally traded missed and connected jabs (mostly missed). Toward the end of the round, Fury connected with some good jabs, but was answered by Wilder’s own good jabs with about 10 seconds left in the round. I’ll say Fury took the round, but it was close. 3-3 in rounds, but could easily be 4-2 Wilder. Fury 10-9.

Round 7
    They just showed Steve Farhood’s card. 5-1 Fury. This guy’s out to lunch, and subscribes to the same fantasy that Paulie subscribes. On with the round. Ok… first round that Fury clearly outboxed Wilder. Landed clean, crisp combinations. Ironically, it’s the first round he doesn’t mug, nor does he raise his arms up in “victory” at the end of the round. Yet it’s the first round he clearly dominates. Again, it could be 4-3 Fury, or 4-3 Wilder at this point. Fury 10-9.

Round 8
    Whole lotta missing in that round, which was the case throughout the fight. Fury connected with some combinations, which offset the few punches Wilder connected just before the end of the round. I’d give that round to Fury, who went back to mugging which I guess has an effect on guys like Steve Farhood and Paulie Malignaggi. Fury 10-9.

Round 9
    Wilder drops Fury. Interestingly, it was while Fury was clowning with his “hit me some more” antics. So Wilder obliged. Two things. Amazingly recuperative powers by Fury. Also, Wilder is a lousy finisher. THAT’S where he goes wild and loses his form. That’s where the windmill shots come in. I think Wilder gassed himself out a bit throwing those wild bombs. In any case, by definition….. Wilder 10-8.

Round 10
    Fury round. Wilder connected some toward the end of the round, but he seems a bit gassed, and Fury connected some good combinations in the middle of the round. A lot of mugging by Fury again. Body language probably sways the judges, too. Fury is back to bouncing around, doing a lot of feinting. Wilder is going backward, looking a bit tired. I’m sure this did a lot to sway the judges. Still, it was Fury’s round. Fury 10-9.

Round 11
    Round 11 is the 2nd round I had to go back and watch again. For the first minute, Fury didn’t do anything. One jab. There was an exchange in the middle of the round, initiated again by Wilder and won by Wilder. Fury landed one uppercut in close toward the end, but nothing of note. I don’t see dominance in this round. I see Fury doing a lot of mugging and Wilder looking tired but still dangerous. I’m giving this one to Fury. Fury 10-9.

Round 12
    That vicious knockdown by Wilder. Again, Wilder goes crazy and starts winging shots that just wear him out. Amazing recuperative powers by Fury. All credit in the world to that man. He changed my perspective of him in this fight. Wilder looks gassed and bewildered that Fury got up from that knockdown. Amazing fight. Again by definition, Wilder 10-8.

So let’s recap:
    Round 1: Wilder 10-9
    Round 2: Wilder 10-9
    Round 3: Fury 10-9
    Round 4: Wilder 10-9
    Round 5: Fury 10-9
    Round 6: Fury 10-9
    Round 7: Fury 10-9
    Round 8: Fury 10-9
    Round 9: Wilder 10-8
    Round 10: Fury 10-9
    Round 11: Fury 10-9
    Round 12: Wilder 10-8

Final Score: 113 - 113

A few closing thoughts:

1. Fury made a fan out of me. He had the balls to go to the U.S. and fight Wilder, and acquitted himself incredibly well. I couldn't stand Fury after his piss-poor fight against Wlad, even though I was glad to see Wlad lose. But it was a horrible fight.

2. Wilder is not half as bad as British fans make him out to be. He was matching Fury jab for jab in the first half of the fight and, when he's not going crazy with his windmill shots, he boxes decently. Still a diamond in the rough, but definitely fixable.

3. Wilder seemed gassed at the end of the fight. Body language sways the judges. While Wilder had his head down and looked exhausted in the corner, Fury looked chipper and full of energy. Very telling.

And finally..........

4. I'm DYING to see the rematch!!!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Let's debunk the whole "Fury got robbed" myth

Is this like the Mayweather v Canelo fight? Or the Mayweather v Pac fight? Did you watch it in slow motion with the sound off?
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't a robbery, I had it 114-112, a draw is acceptable, one judges scorecard was ridiculous.

A touch of inept scoring but no robbery with the final result.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually the only difference between your card after you re-watched it and mine from when the fight was live was that I gave round 1 to Fury hence the 114-112

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Is this like the Mayweather v Canelo fight? Or the Mayweather v Pac fight? Did you watch it in slow motion with the sound off?

You obviously did not read the post. Thus I won't bother responding.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury won 10 rounds to 2 when I scored it so I disagree with your scoring.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

You only gave Wilder those rounds in which he knocked down Fury??

Okay. I guess we disagree by a whole lot.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

As mentioned in a previous post, ex champ and now trainer Dave Coldwell had it 10-2, if you are going to analyse anything look at BOXERS scoring, not armchair critics, bent judges or 'media' reps with tame promoters.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    It wasn't a robbery, I had it 114-112, a draw is acceptable, one judges scorecard was ridiculous.

A touch of inept scoring but no robbery with the final result.
    I think mexicans tend to score like that, if it ne guy is backing away and the other going forward throwing more they give it to the aggressor... Not saying it's a good scorecard or anything but I dont think it was the work of a crook. Funny how different things mean someone won a round to different people.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a robbery.

Fury nipped it but it’s not a robbery.

Roy Jones getting the silver in the olympics is a robbery.

In Wilders defence he is the much much smaller man and still showed KO power in the last round.

I wanted Fury to win and as the much much bigger man I feel he should have pressed the action more in certain parts of the fight.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

As mentioned in a previous post, ex champ and now trainer Dave Coldwell had it 10-2, if you are going to analyse anything look at BOXERS scoring, not armchair critics, bent judges or 'media' reps with tame promoters.
    Whilst I agree with you for this fight.

I think you said the same thing with Canelo v GGG with a lot of the professionals having Saul the winner but I disagreed with their scoring for that fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I scored it 115-111 for Fury.

I gave Wilder one round, the closest round besides the two knock-down rounds. Even in the rounds Fury was knocked down, for the rest of the rounds he boxed far better than Wilder.

Yes, it was a robbery. Fury clearly won. But he should have remained fully focused and not got knocked down that second time, you should be especially careful when you're fighting in a foreign country.

For the rematch, Fury will probably be back to his best fighting shape and may even stop Wilder. Hopefully he'll remain focused for the entire fight as he was against Chisora and Klitschko.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like many fights, a draw wasn’t a robbery, but it was different than a vast majority of people had it. It’s basically like the first Canelo GGG fight. I could see a draw but it shouldn’t have been a draw.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like most “robberies” I had it with the majority. Like most “robberies” I don’t think it was a robbery.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It seems The obvious solution to avoid any robberies is have dave coldwell judge every fight.

Thread Information