Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default ESPN fights have been underwhelming

Before Arum signed with ESPN, they were known for televising fighters who were on the rise or on the decline. Decent fight content, but nothing great.

Now, with Top Frank's stable on board, it's not that different. The fight content and overall production just doesn't have the same allure/flare as the the pay channels.

Even when the top guys fight, it has the feel of "Friday Night Fights".

Or maybe it's just Tim Bradley's annoying ass.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: ESPN fights have been underwhelming

I like the fights fine but I do agree that the commentators and analysts aren’t my favorite. I’ve always liked Tessitore but Bradley isn’t very good. The other guy (don’t remember his name) has gotten better but he is pretty forgettable.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ESPN seems to have revived itself which is a good thing and was something HBO should have done rather than ditching boxing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We will miss HBO's production expertise and marketing dollars. For sure.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What gets me about ESPN is the fact they have 3,4 channels depending in the market and still try to worm in another monthly subscription feature and still cannot always manage to start a card on time. I never expected them to have a complete make over just because a few top stars are featured and they'll always be in the business of upcoming talent as well as some in between showcases for top stars. The Loma fight was actually pretty entertaining as well as their rising champ Dogboe finding himself in an absolute war and upset. You'll never get a premium network atmosphere as its still commercial tv at the end of the day. Now the commentary was pretty bad, just very monotone and didn't do the fights justice. Too many chefs in the kitchen so to speak...Ward, Stephen A Smith who is god awful, Kenny, Bradley, and the other guy calling the fight who sounds like he's bored. Just too many talking heads bouncing around. Someone's about to get the boot though, I read that Kellerman was already picked up post HBO! Talk about old school..he and Teddy on the original FNF were must see tv. I say if its not broke stop trying to over do it, just give us some marquee names in respectable fights leading to bigger ones, good prospects tested and consistent schedule and I'm happy. And Top Rank ring card girls..i mean come on you have to tip your hat . And ffs get rid of Stephen A.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's face it, FNF were never up to much. ESPN have put some decent fights on, Loma in a unification match with what turned out to be an excellent undercard is light years away from what the average FNF offering was. And I like Bradley. I've heard him a lot on the Top Rank in house broadcasts that Box Nation get in Britain and he's very knowledgeable, informative and can speak well.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While were on espn+ main events that no one talks about..anyone have Zurdo v Hart..I even forgot his name info . Sounds similar to first tonight but injury convinces Ramirez to go up to 175.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 12-16-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably nostalgia talking, but I loved FNF. was the first live boxing I ever got to watch as ESPN was it for regular cable in Canada, and I remember lots of fun cards. Obviously they rarely got top guys, but the matchmaking was usually good and some guys who went on to big things often fought on it. Not to mention you had “the FIREMAN” and his own sparky the firedog Tessitore on the mic. Didn’t realize kellerman was ever on it either I’m forgetting or it was just before my time..

Thread Information