1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jermall Charlo v Matt Korobov FOX 22nd December 2018

Jermall Charlo to face Matt Korobov after Willie Monroe fails drug test

Jermall Charlo to meet Russia’s Matt Korobov in Brooklyn

MIDDLEWEIGHT contender Matt Korobov has stepped up to challenge Jermall Charlo for the WBC Interim middleweight championship live in primetime on FOX and FOX Deportes on Saturday, December 22 from Barclays Center, the home of BROOKLYN BOXING™ in an event presented by Premier Boxing Champions.

Korobov is replacing Willie Monroe Jnr, who was removed from the main event after he tested positive for a banned substance by VADA under the WBC Clean Boxing Program. The WBC is conducting further investigation into the matter. Korobov was due to fight on the undercard and had been training to fight December 22. He willingly stepped forward when the call came for a replacement for Monroe.

MIDDLEWEIGHT contender Matt Korobov has stepped up to challenge Jermall Charlo for the WBC Interim middleweight championship live in primetime on FOX and FOX Deportes on Saturday, December 22 from Barclays Center, the home of BROOKLYN BOXING™ in an event presented by Premier Boxing Champions.

Korobov is replacing Willie Monroe Jnr, who was removed from the main event after he tested positive for a banned substance by VADA under the WBC Clean Boxing Program. The WBC is conducting further investigation into the matter. Korobov was due to fight on the undercard and had been training to fight December 22. He willingly stepped forward when the call came for a replacement for Monroe.

“I was well prepared for Willie Monroe, who is a southpaw, so there won’t be that much difference facing Korobov,” said Charlo. “There is a size difference. He’s taller than Monroe, but I’ll just have to adjust my game plan. The best fighters in the world are the ones who are able to make the best adjustments. Beating Korobov is going to make the victory that much sweeter due to this adversity. That means the celebration is going to be sweeter as well. He was fighting on the undercard, so he’s prepared. But now fighting for the title in the top spot is going to make him fight harder. I love it. He’s a much better opponent on paper than Willie Monroe Jr.”

“I was training to fight on this card so I am physically and mentally ready to fight,” said Korobov. “It doesn’t matter that I am taking this fight on a week’s notice because I have been preparing for this moment my entire life. I will make a few adjustments for Charlo and make the most of this opportunity. Don’t miss it. Make sure you tune-in to FOX for a great fight.”

The Charlo vs. Korobov bout is part of a blockbuster PBC on FOX show that features the Charlo Twins defending their world titles and a heavyweight showdown between Dominic Breazeale and Carlos Negron beginning at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT. Jermall Charlo, who won a coin toss with his brother, will close the show in a 12-round WBC middleweight championship bout against Korobov, while Jermell Charlo will battle Tony Harrison in defense of the WBC Super Welterweight World Title.

Korobov (28-1, 14 KOs), who was originally scheduled to face Colombia’s Juan De Angel, has an outstanding resume that includes a unanimous decision victory over current super middleweight world champion Jose Uzcategui in 2014. His lone loss came against Andy Lee in a middleweight championship fight in 2014. Korobov was ahead on all three judges’ scorecards when he was caught by a right hand from Lee that resulted in a sixth round TKO loss.

The 35-year-old southpaw is from Orotukan, Russia and now lives in St. Petersburg, Florida. As an amateur he won the European Championships in 2006 by defeating reigning undisputed cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk. He was a member of the 2008 Russian Olympic boxing team and finished his amateur career with a record of 300-12. He enters this fight with four straight victories, having most recently scored a unanimous decision over Jonathan Batista.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/what...anelo-alvarez/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jermall Charlo v Matt Korobov FOX 22nd December 2018

Korobov is sitting in front of me right now. Fit and ready. His sparring partners speak highly of him when he is not in the room. But,,, Charlo is too much, levels

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should be an entertaining few rounds or so of action. I think Jermell is in for a decent shoot out with Harrison too. Again, have to give it to PBC when it comes to keeping its promotions constant. Had a nice hour special last night on FOX with bios on all the fighters and in studio updates on upcoming schedule.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Decent stand in opponent.

Whatever happened to Charlo hunting Jacobs? Charlo never seems any nearer landing a big meaningful fight. Shame for us fans but Al obviously pays well at this level.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Burgeoning stars Jermall and Jermell Charlo positioned for greatness

The same question was put to both Jermall and Jermell Charlo, albeit at different times when they weren’t together: Would the late change of opponents, from Willie Monroe Jr. to Matt Korobov, be a problem for Jermall on Saturday when he defends his interim WBC middleweight title on Fox at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn?

Jermell: “He’s a grown man and a professional. Changing an opponent shouldn’t be a problem. It sucks to spend a lot of time preparing for someone and then it changes up, but it’s boxing. That happens in boxing and you have to accept that.”

About 27 hours later, it was Jermall’s turn to answer.

Jermall: I’m a grown man, a professional, and a world champion. You have to change the workflow a little bit, but it shouldn’t be a problem. If you are around boxing for any length of time, you accept that this is boxing and it happens occasionally.”

Yes, they’re twins and yes, they’re champions and yes, they’re burgeoning stars. It’s no coincidence that they’re headlining as Premier Boxing Champions makes its debut on Fox. There are major fights for them on the horizon and the PBC wants to use the power of network television to increase their visibility.

The Charlos flipped a coin to see who would be the main event and who would be the co-feature. Jermall won, and was originally slated to face Monroe. Monroe, though, was pulled from the card with elevated testosterone levels and replaced by Korobov.

Jermell, who is eyeing a major unification bout against IBF-WBA champion Jarret Hurd next year, will defend his WBC super welterweight belt against Tony Harrison.

They’ve combined to win all 58 of their bouts, 36 of them by knockout. Jermall is 27-0 with 21 knockouts while Jermell is 31-0 with 15 KOs.

Their styles are similar, but Jermell’s punching power has begun to catch up to his brother’s and he’s finishing at a much higher rate, even as his level of opposition improves.

Jermell had scored four consecutive stoppages — in the sixth, eighth, sixth and first rounds, respectively — until winning a decision in his last outing over Austin Trout, probably the toughest opponent of his career. In his five fights prior to this recent streak, he had four decisions and one knockout.

“Putting in the work and maturing and coming into my own,” Jermell said of his recent power surge. In Harrison, he’s facing a highly skilled opponent who has won 27 of 29 fights. Harrison, though, has been stopped in both of his losses, by Willie Nelson in the ninth in 2015 and by Hurd in the ninth last year.

A stoppage on network television would be a statement for Charlo, who jumped into the ring to challenge Hurd after Hurd scored a win on Dec. 1 in Los Angeles on the Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury undercard.

“Fighting on HBO and Showtime, people had to pay money to watch them and a lot of people who love boxing, they didn’t have those channels,” Jermell said. “Boxing made those channels popular, but the people who saw them weren’t the same. But now, we’re on the biggest channel and you don’t have to pay; you just have to tune in and there we are. It’s an opportunity to showcase our skills.

“For me personally, I love where I am. I believe in myself and I believe in my power. I have been hitting people and hurting them since I was 16 years old. This fight is an opportunity for me to show people who maybe didn’t know my story what I am all about.”

His brother stands on the precipice of a massive fight. Former champion Gennady Golovkin remains one of the biggest names in the sport, and has reportedly negotiated with the PBC for a new deal. The WBC recently ordered a Jermall Charlo-Golovkin bout for its title.

But Golovkin isn’t Jermall’s only option. Canelo Alvarez won the super middleweight title on Saturday in New York, and after that fight, promoter Oscar De La Hoya said all options are on the table. He didn’t rule out an Alvarez-Charlo fight simply because Charlo is with the PBC and De La Hoya doesn’t get along with PBC creator Al Haymon. De La Hoya noted that Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez has done many deals with Haymon over the years.

In addition, IBF champion Danny Jacobs is a free agent and while the expectation is he’ll sign with DAZN if he gets a fight with Alvarez on May 4, if he doesn’t, he’ll be available and the PBC is making a push for his services.

So Jermall, who has won three in a row by finish and five of his last six, needs a win over Korobov to position himself for what could be a mega-bout in the near future.

“It’s a good time to be in this division,” Jermall said. “Golovkin and Alvarez are two of the most attractive fighters in boxing and they’re in my division. There’s a lot going on, so this is a big fight for me. I have the opportunity [Saturday] to show the world the kind of champion I am, the type of fighter I am.”

The beauty of boxing on network television is that with the right fights, a star could be made overnight. In the case of the Charlo brothers, though, the possibility and even the probability exists that it will be two stars instead of one.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/bur...192057473.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopefully we find out if either or both or neither of the Charlos are the goods soon. Been a while coming.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its great that he spells it out for anyone who wasn’t sure what the significance of having a huge lions head tattooed on his torso was all about. Jermall must be a neat guy, I’d love to take a long road trip with him.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Korobov is a better opponent than the original guy Monroe. But it's still little more than a showcase.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Always great to see Saturday night boxing back on prime time basic cable. Didn't realize Breazeale has been out for over a year. Good crowd at Barclays.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Breazeale is terrible

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crazy thinking Negron was a 6'6 cruiser. Some after the bell action in 3rd and he's really loading up the gut of Breazeale in 4th. Dominic better stem this tide and use that natural size.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looks like Breazeale is taking over, not impressive or anything, just Negron is fading

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Breazeale is terrible
    He's pretty bad. They mentioned him possibly getting a Whyte fight earlier and how he's still #4 is nuts.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On a side note if I look hard enough Negron resembles an emaciated Chris Arreola.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Breazeale throws a right hand looper from the parking lot and that's that. Negron goes to his knees along bottom rope in 9th like he was just hit by a runaway bus clueless of his surroundings.

Thread Information