Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canelo-Jacobs / May 4th Las Vegas / WHO WINS (poll)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo-Jacobs / May 4th Las Vegas / WHO WINS (poll)

I already brought up the point as you said though that if Canelo can’t fight then he would be out of the contract. Just like the NBA gives guaranteed contracts, if someone medically retires, they lose the rest of their contract. So if Canelo medically can’t fight, he wouldn’t be able to hold up his end of the deal therefore he out of the contract.

NFL contracts aren’t fully guaranteed for the most part because of the high risk of injury. They generally only partially guarantee contracts. They are very clear on partially guaranteed contracts.

Absolutely nothing I find says that Canelo’s contract is only partially guaranteed. Again, obviously if he can’t fulfill his part of the contract, he wouldn’t get all of the money, but if he could fight all 11 fights in the agreed upon time frame, as far as we know, they owe him the money despite winning or losing.

Coming back to my original point, he can take more risks because he is now guaranteed money. DAZN would also want him to fight the best because it would get them more subscribers. I think they put in the risk because he is so popular and good enough to make interesting and entertaining fights. If he loses to Jacobs, they can put him in against GGG again and tons of people would still watch it. If he lost against both of them, they could put him in against someone like Lemieux which would make for an exciting fight that Canelo is for sure going to win. All around, people will watch his fights no matter what basically.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cancelled my DAZN subscription as soon as I realized he wasn’t going to give rocky fielding a rematch.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I already brought up the point as you said though that if Canelo can’t fight then he would be out of the contract. Just like the NBA gives guaranteed contracts, if someone medically retires, they lose the rest of their contract. So if Canelo medically can’t fight, he wouldn’t be able to hold up his end of the deal therefore he out of the contract.

NFL contracts aren’t fully guaranteed for the most part because of the high risk of injury. They generally only partially guarantee contracts. They are very clear on partially guaranteed contracts.

Absolutely nothing I find says that Canelo’s contract is only partially guaranteed. Again, obviously if he can’t fulfill his part of the contract, he wouldn’t get all of the money, but if he could fight all 11 fights in the agreed upon time frame, as far as we know, they owe him the money despite winning or losing.

Coming back to my original point, he can take more risks because he is now guaranteed money. DAZN would also want him to fight the best because it would get them more subscribers. I think they put in the risk because he is so popular and good enough to make interesting and entertaining fights. If he loses to Jacobs, they can put him in against GGG again and tons of people would still watch it. If he lost against both of them, they could put him in against someone like Lemieux which would make for an exciting fight that Canelo is for sure going to win. All around, people will watch his fights no matter what basically.
    Guaranteed money means that if you have to retire for medical reasons you're guaranteed the money the counterparty was obligated to pay you in your contract. So if Alvarez' contract is guaranteed and he fails a brain scan before his next fight DAZN would have to pay him the full value of his contract even though he hasn't had one fight under it.

NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Some outstanding players can get a lump of up front money but the vast majority of players have nothing guaranteed.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

Guaranteed money means that if you have to retire for medical reasons you're guaranteed the money the counterparty was obligated to pay you in your contract. So if Alvarez' contract is guaranteed and he fails a brain scan before his next fight DAZN would have to pay him the full value of his contract even though he hasn't had one fight under it.

NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Some outstanding players can get a lump of up front money but the vast majority of players have nothing guaranteed.
    Not true. Guaranteed means that you get the money as long you honor your contract. So the contract is a five year, eleven fight deal. That’s what he is getting paid for. If Canelo can’t fulfill that, he doesn’t get paid. Unlike other sport leagues like the NBA to where you can sit on the bench and be injured but still get paid because you technically aren’t retired But once you officially retire, you don’t get the rest of your money. They don’t sign contracts saying you get paid per game you play in. You get signed per season and the contract doesn’t state that you have to play to get paid.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

Not true. Guaranteed means that you get the money as long you honor your contract. So the contract is a five year, eleven fight deal. That’s what he is getting paid for. If Canelo can’t fulfill that, he doesn’t get paid. Unlike other sport leagues like the NBA to where you can sit on the bench and be injured but still get paid because you technically aren’t retired But once you officially retire, you don’t get the rest of your money. They don’t sign contracts saying you get paid per game you play in. You get signed per season and the contract doesn’t state that you have to play to get paid.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. There is a wealth of information on the internet of articles written about the history of players' unions interaction with the owners of various sports leagues that you can read that will explain the whole thing in endless detail to you if you really want to learn.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

De La Hoya in 'no doubt whatsoever' over Canelo-GGG trilogy

Oscar De La Hoya has confirmed a third fight between Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin will happen – and predicts the judges will not be needed to settle the outcome next time.

Canelo picked up the WBA and WBC middleweight titles when ending Golovkin's unbeaten record last September, winning their rematch by majority decision after the first meeting had finished as a split-decision draw.

After a brief move up to super-middleweight, where he stopped Rocky Fielding to claim the WBA 'regular' belt, Alvarez will be back in action at 160 pounds when he faces IBF champion Daniel Jacobs on May 4.

However, promoter De La Hoya – who is the head of Golden Boy Boxing – is already planning ahead and believes Canelo will finish the argument inside the distance when, rather than if, he faces Golovkin again.

"There's no doubt whatsoever," he replied when asked whether the trilogy is going to happen.

"Canelo wants to fight the very best, and I can assure you that, third time around, Canelo will knock him out."

First, though, Mexican Alvarez must deal with Jacobs, who became the first fighter to take Golovkin the distance in losing a unanimous decision against the Kazakh in March 2017.

De La Hoya revealed how negotiations for the unification clash unfolded in an interview with DAZN during the card in Houston on Saturday, as he utilised the power of social media to seal the deal.

"[It was the] last second, the 11th hour," said De La Hoya. "I was one night tweeting and said to myself, 'how am I going to make this happen?'.

"I sent out a tweet that said we were going to talk to GGG and make the third fight happen and Jacobs' promoter, Matchroom Boxing, called [Golden Boy president] Eric Gomes the next day and said you have a fight with Jacobs.

"My plan worked – now we have one of the best middleweights fights in recent years."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/la-...100210225.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez vs. Daniel Jacobs heading to T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas

One of the worst kept secrets in boxing was made official on Wednesday, as Golden Boy Promotions revealed that the May 4 middleweight title unification bout between WBA and WBC champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and IBF titlist Daniel Jacobs will take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, airing live and exclusively on DAZN.

Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs), boxing's marquee attraction in the United States, fights at T-Mobile Arena for the fifth time in his career, which includes both megafights against Gennady Golovkin in September 2017 and 2018. The 28-year-old last fought in December when he captured the WBA (regular) super middleweight championship by third-round TKO over Rocky Fielding at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

"I'm excited to return to T-Mobile Arena for a fifth time," Alvarez said in a press release. "I inaugurated this arena to boxing at an international level, and it's a place where I have had some of my biggest fights. This fight against Daniel Jacobs will not be the exception. I am ready to capture another world title in front of a packed house, listening to the unconditional support of the fans in attendance, and also for those who will watch this fight through the screens of a huge platform in DAZN. I want it so when people talk about T-Mobile Arena, they say that is where Canelo Alvarez fights."

The 32-year-old Jacobs (35-2, 29 KOs) hasn't competed in "Sin City" since he suffered his first loss in July 2010 when Dmitry Pirog knocked him out in the fifth round. Jacobs relishes the opportunity to show the world how great he is on boxing's grandest stage.

"I'm thrilled that this huge night has landed in Las Vegas," Jacobs said in the release. "I made my debut there in 2007, but I haven't boxed there for nearly nine years. Scheduling the biggest fight of my career at T-Mobile Arena is the perfect occasion to return to the bright lights and shine on a massive stage. Canelo is a champion and he's fought the best so it's an honor for me to face him, and of course, it's a brilliant fight for the fans. But my legacy is on the line and I have a lot to gain - I want to be a hall of famer one day, and this is the sort of fight that will get me there."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/can...002937629.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still sticking with my pick of a Canelo KO.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information