Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Prepping a crowd- How do we get a crowd ready to cheer their hearts out?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Prepping a crowd- How do we get a crowd ready to cheer their hearts out?

Man, I was watching some old fights and I was started to wonder: How is it that some fights are CLASSICS and the crowd SUCKS at times, but then we have some "ok" fights and the crowd goes nuts over simple shit?

I was watching the Omar Sheika/Roy Jones fight, and despite the fight being in Roy's hometown, the crowd went NUTS over some of Roy's basic bag of tricks. I mean, anyone who has seen Roy or knows of him, some of the tricks he put out against Sheika was basic, Roy Jones showmanship. Basic shit! lolololol.... But the crowd was eating that shit up like it was brand new, cut steak right off of the cow!

But there were some other great fights I can recall that the fans REALLY let us down with in terms of cheering and excitement... The crowd was SHIT for Oscar vs. Floyd. I mean, the announcers were not even up for that and that fight was CLASSIC. Possibly the best fight of Floyd's career outside of Corrales and/or Manny. And it was Oscar's BEST performance at that level since he fought Trinidad and won!

The crowd did not give that fight JUSTICE, and Larry Merchant could eat shit for his hate.

So, question again: How do we prep a crowd? Gatta be some tricks of the trade from event's staff and promoters to find out which times, seasons, acitivies during the right and other stuff that can give a crowd the edge they need to go all out and URGE the fighters to fight like mad dogs!

Perhaps take a page out of the East Asian (Japanese, Thai and Filipinos) or the Mexicans and get people ready for the fight.

Aside from liquoring them up, which to me is a bad thing to do because it leads to other mishaps, there has to be something we can do on fight night that gets people up and out of their soft seats.

What do you think?
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prepping a crowd- How do we get a crowd ready to cheer their hearts out?

job done

I've never understood how this became such a main part in the build up to main events these days

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prepping a crowd- How do we get a crowd ready to cheer their hearts out?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

job done

I've never understood how this became such a main part in the build up to main events these days
    Only in Jolly ol'e Engerland is this a crowd hyper. lolol.... That and "Only one (Insert name of fighter)".

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You hold the fight in the UK and open the bar
    Simple

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    You hold the fight in the UK and open the bar
    Simple
    I reckon you have answered my question about Sweet Caroline

we are piss heads and like to sing.

Also there is nothing like getting a crowd pumped that when a fighter comes out to the ring with an obscure rapper who spits verses into the mic...give me sweet Caroline anyday

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

job done

Only in Jolly ol'e Engerland is this a crowd hyper. lolol.... That and "Only one (Insert name of fighter)".

You do realise that we are fully aware of the irony of using a Neil Diamond sing-along to hype a fight don't you? The most un-threatening, un-macho, un-boxing-like tune you could pick.
    It's not an accident. It's humour.

That and it's fucking good fun to sing along with thousands of others after several drinks.

As others have said, all you need to hype a fight is drinks and music. Although you say drinking at boxing is a "bad thing to do because it leads to other mishaps".

"Ooooooh let's not drink lads, we wouldn't want to be having any little mishaps".
    Toughen up a bit mate.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post

job done

You do realise that we are fully aware of the irony of using a Neil Diamond sing-along to hype a fight don't you? The most un-threatening, un-macho, un-boxing-like tune you could pick.

That and it's fucking good fun to sing along with thousands of others after several drinks.

As others have said, all you need to hype a fight is drinks and music. Although you say drinking at boxing is a "bad thing to do because it leads to other mishaps".

"Ooooooh let's not drink lads, we wouldn't want to be having any little mishaps".
    Toughen up a bit mate.
    I know it's a joke, man. Only could be!

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post

job done

Toughen up a bit mate.
    I know it's a joke, man. Only could be!
    Sorry mate, the default position is to assume no-one gets our humour. I'll let this pass this time
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Thread Information