Man, I was watching some old fights and I was started to wonder: How is it that some fights are CLASSICS and the crowd SUCKS at times, but then we have some "ok" fights and the crowd goes nuts over simple shit?

I was watching the Omar Sheika/Roy Jones fight, and despite the fight being in Roy's hometown, the crowd went NUTS over some of Roy's basic bag of tricks. I mean, anyone who has seen Roy or knows of him, some of the tricks he put out against Sheika was basic, Roy Jones showmanship. Basic shit! lolololol.... But the crowd was eating that shit up like it was brand new, cut steak right off of the cow!

But there were some other great fights I can recall that the fans REALLY let us down with in terms of cheering and excitement... The crowd was SHIT for Oscar vs. Floyd. I mean, the announcers were not even up for that and that fight was CLASSIC. Possibly the best fight of Floyd's career outside of Corrales and/or Manny. And it was Oscar's BEST performance at that level since he fought Trinidad and won!

The crowd did not give that fight JUSTICE, and Larry Merchant could eat shit for his hate.

So, question again: How do we prep a crowd? Gatta be some tricks of the trade from event's staff and promoters to find out which times, seasons, acitivies during the right and other stuff that can give a crowd the edge they need to go all out and URGE the fighters to fight like mad dogs!

Perhaps take a page out of the East Asian (Japanese, Thai and Filipinos) or the Mexicans and get people ready for the fight.

Aside from liquoring them up, which to me is a bad thing to do because it leads to other mishaps, there has to be something we can do on fight night that gets people up and out of their soft seats.

What do you think?