Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Keith “One Time” Thurman v Josesito Lopez 26/1/2019 ITV 4

Keith Thurman plays a game of 'One Time' with Sporting News

When it comes to being a cerebral boxer, calculating information in real-time and making adjustments on the fly, Keith “One Time” Thurman might as well be called “All The Time.”

It’s what he does with power and precision. Like in his June 2016 bout with Shawn Porter, when he abandoned his strategy during the fight and slugged it out with the welterweight to power his way to a unanimous decision. That ability was also on display during his clash with Danny Garcia in March 2017, when he used his power to hurt Garcia early, before weathering rough patches to put on a boxing clinic the rest of the way through toward a split-decision win.

Now, after a 22-month absence due to injuries (elbow surgery and a hand injury), the undefeated Thurman is back at Barclays Center in Brooklyn — where he posted his victories over Porter and Garcia — to put his WBA welterweight title on the line against battle-tested journeyman Josesito Lopez on Saturday night.

Just last month, Thurman (28-0, 22 KOs) told Sporting News that 2019 is his “get-back” year, adding that he’d like to save super fights with fellow welterweight champions Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford for 2020.

That means a win over Lopez (36-7, 19 KOs) could be followed by a rematch with Porter later this year unless “Showtime” loses the WBC strap to Yordenis Ugas on March 9 in Las Vegas. After all, Thurman vacating the WBC title paved the way for Porter and Garcia to fight for it in September, with the aggressive Porter scoring the unanimous decision and claiming the championship.

Playing off Thurman’s “One Time” nickname and sharp wit, Sporting News thought it would be fun to go 12 rounds with the returning WBA champ, hitting him with questions about his career and hot-button topics in boxing, while challenging him to answer them “One Time” in a sentence or less.

Here, Thurman talks about the challenge that Lopez presents, further explains saving a mega bout with Spence or Crawford, why getting his WBC title back is more important than facing the winner of Spence and Garcia for now and how married life has changed him.

Round 1: The challenge that Josesito Lopez presents
    He’s a game fighter and he’s coming to win, so I’m gonna have to respect that.

Round 2: 2019 being the get-back year for Keith Thurman
    Two years off, I get one year to get back — it’s that simple.

Round 3: Imagine promoting a fight with Adrien Broner
    To promote a fight with Adrien Broner would obviously be an exciting trash-talking event and one that I believe would enjoy.

Round 4: Promoting a fight with Manny Pacquiao
    Promoting a fight with Manny Pacquiao would be an honor and privilege to share the spotlight with a legend who lord knows doesn’t have much longer in the sport, but will always be remembered and admired by myself and many others.

Round 5: Level of interest in facing winner of the Errol Spence Jr.-Mikey Garcia fight March 16
    The winner of that fight is always on my radar, but first and foremost, I care more about getting my WBC title back, so that when Keith Thurman fights Errol Spence or Mikey Garcia — whoever is the IBF champion — we don’t fight for one belt, we don’t fight for two belts, we’re fighting for three belts, baby.

Round 6: Thoughts on Terence Crawford seemingly seeing your statement about fighting Amir Khan to fruition
    I think I’m a pretty good matchmaker, but it’s a good fight that I stated out of respect that Terence Crawford should up the bar a little bit if he wants to get respect at 147 and I respect that he’s upping the bar little by little and he’s not really calling out everybody; the kid has done a lot of great things in his career, he’s got a great contract with ESPN who’s putting up good money to make this fight happen … there’s nothing to complain about.

Round 7: When Sporting News spoke with you in late December, you said you want to save fights with Spence and Crawford for 2020. Do you stand by that plan?
    Definitely because I pride myself on being honest in the sport of boxing because you guys come to us for information, so I do my best to give you real information and 2020 is an Olympic year — Errol Spence was an Olympic alternative, I think Terence Crawford was an Olympic alternative and I just think it’s a great year to make a really big fight happen at 147 and like I said, unifying more titles.

Round 8: How to thaw frigid relationship between Premier Boxing Champions — home to yourself and Spence — and Top Rank — home to Crawford
    One simple word: Negotiations.

Round 9: Thoughts on Danny Jacobs facing Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in a middleweight title unification fight May 4
    Beautiful, beautiful — I love Danny Jacobs, I’ve admired him since we’ve been in the amateurs; he was a fighter that many of us looked up to in the amateurs, I’ve always followed his professional career, he’s an outstanding boxer and individual and I just feel like more power to him and I wish him the best of luck in the fight.

Round 10: How has married life changed “One Time?”
    It has given me something to smile about whenever I’m not in the ring; I’m happy to be married, I found a lovely woman and she supports me … it has been a hard time spending this time apart in preparation for this fight and trying to get better from my injuries, but right after this fight, I will be traveling overseas to have quality time with my wife once again and hopefully some time in February or March, she’ll be cleared to come to America and we won’t have to keep this long-distance thing going.

Round 11: Current miles on your Prius
    I gave my Prius to my sister and bought myself another Prius [laughing].

Round 12: Best part about fighting in New York City
    The best part about fighting in New York is the New York fight fans, man — Vegas does not compare to the New York fight fans.

Bonus: When it’s all said and done, what do you want the fighting legacy of Keith Thurman to be?
    I would love to be the undisputed welterweight champion of the world — that’s always been the big dream — but outside of that, it really just makes me happy whenever somebody approaches me and they say, ‘You are truly one of my favorite fighters in the sport of boxing today.’

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/kei...150211308.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Keith “One Time” Thurman v Josesito Lopez 26/1/2019 ITV 4

Might as well be called “all the time”..... unless of course we are talking about boxing I haven’t seen Lopez in years so don’t know if this could be a banana skin for Thurman or not, but he’s out of the ring for so long, who knows.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keith's already got an excuse ready if something goes drastically wrong, he's already bringing up the hand injury.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm halfway anticipating Kownacki v Washington . I think Thurman is looking at this as a 'do I really want to' type of comeback and it wouldn't shock me to see Lopez pull off the unthinkable.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxer Thurman to defend title after nearly 2 years away

Keith Thurman has been limited to fight fan instead of fighter for nearly two years, going to bouts but looking up at someone else's name in lights.

He's ready to be the star of the show again.

The undefeated Thurman returns from a lengthy layoff caused by injuries, defending the one welterweight title he still holds against Josesito Lopez at Barclays Center on Saturday night.

''Last several times that I was in here, it was spectating other cards and other shows,'' Thurman said. ''And it's just a whole other atmosphere and whole other energy. Twenty-two months since I've been in here. I almost forgot what it's like when it's your fight week and when you're the headliner.''

For Thurman (28-0, 22 KOs), that was March 4, 2017, when he edged Danny Garcia in a split decision in Brooklyn to unify the 147-pound titles. He had surgery two months later to remove bone spurs from his elbow. When he resumed training after a lengthy recovery, he hurt his left hand.

He says he probably could have returned last year, but opted to wait until the new year for what he felt was a fresh start. He had to give up the WBC belt he won in the Garcia fight that Shawn Porter has since won because of his inactivity, but he is still recognized as the WBA champion.

Frustrated that he couldn't get a straight answer from doctors about how long the elbow surgery rehabilitation would take, Thurman is hesitant to make any promises. He thinks he'll fight twice this year, though won't guarantee it. The only thing he'll say is neither fight would be against Errol Spence or Terence Crawford, the other two welterweight champions who have emerged as the stars of the division while Thurman was sidelined.

''If we fight a champion, we're only fighting the WBC because that champion is me,'' Thurman said. ''I was the champion. I want to reunify my titles before going after the champions that I've never faced before and this reason is because I was the unified champion of the world. When Keith Thurman steps in the ring and faces one of those fighters, there will be my two titles on the line plus their one title.

''Once you get a taste of a certain status, you kind of get used to it. I want to get that status back before going above and beyond.''

First he has to get past Lopez (36-7, 19 KOs), who lost to Canelo Alvarez, Marcos Maidana and Andre Berto. He defeated Victor Ortiz.

''I'm always in tough battles, but I don't shy away from them,'' Lopez said. ''I know I'm in a tough fight this weekend, but I'm more than ready for it.''

In the co-main event televised on Fox, Adam Kownacki (18-0, 14 KOs), born in Poland but based in Brooklyn, faces veteran Gerald Washington (19-2-1, 12 KOs). Washington previously challenged Deontay Wilder for his heavyweight title.

Thurman will try to show he's the fighter whose knockout power earned him the nickname ''One Time.'' He said he's healthy and ready, and Lopez is expecting to see an opponent not slowed by ring rust.

''I just know that I've prepared for the best Keith Thurman that I've seen,'' Lopez said. ''I'm at championship level and I'm going to prove that on Saturday.''

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/boxer-th...5592--box.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keith Thurman vs. Josesito Lopez fight card
    Matchup Class Belt
    Keith Thurman vs. Josesito Lopez Welterweight WBA
    Adam Kownacki vs. Gerald Washington Heavyweight ...
    Tugstsogt Nyambayar vs. Claudio Marrero Featherweight ...
    Chris Colbert vs. Josh Hernandez Junior Lightweight ...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just seen some pics from the weigh-in. Both weighed half a pound under the limit. I might be wrong , but Thurman looks to have lost a lot of size, he doesn’t look anywhere near as imposing and intimidating as he used to look. Maybe on fight night he’ll look pumped up again, but it almost looks like his camp has been all about cutting weight.
    He’ll get through this fight, but I don’t think he is ever going to be up there on a level with Spence and Crawford.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Matchup Class Belt
    It's a pretty good card, I'm really looking forward to Nyambayar/ Marrero.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopefully Keith at one time Thurman will finally step up to fight Spence in 2020 after 4+ years and 10+ fights of waiting.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Matchup Class Belt
    Near tempted to make it a coin toss. Marrero is savvy. Didn't realize it was a wbc eliminator.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Matchup Class Belt
    Near tempted to make it a coin toss. Marrero is savvy. Didn't realize it was a wbc eliminator.
    Marrero has deceptive power as well. Nyambayar has been tagged and dropped before. This could be he fight of the card.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's definitely a decent undercard. Looks like DAZN double header will run right into this though. But the way DAZN stretches out dead air who knows.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I don't subscribe to DAZN, so I guess I'll be here.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeh DAZN and gbp is going to take a back seat tonight. I prefer my cards on a huge flat screen drowning out the neighbors . Man King Tug looks a lil thin here.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Feeling out first round between King Tug and Marrero...... but it has the makings of a good fight. Surprised to see Marrero so heavily booed on the intros.

Thread Information