Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bobcats in my backyard

So I pulled up my driveway yesterday and parked. I sat for a couple minutes gathering my stuff and noticed some movement in my backyard. It was then I noticed two bobcats strolling through my backyard. My state was at one time on 30% wooded areas and bobcats had just about left the entire state. We are now 60% wooded and many animals, including black bears, coyotes and a few others are returning. Despite the freezing winter and three snow storms we had the bobcats looked healthy and fat. A couple things surprised. Me, it was daylight and there were two of them walking within about four feet of each other. Normally you don’t see animals like that during daytime and the other is I always thought they were solitary beings. Anyway I had to contact the department of environmental protection as they are trying to figure out how big the bobcat population is. They capture them, put a gps tag on them and release them to get more info on them. They asked if the two I saw were tagged and I informed them they are not. Oddly, even though bobcats are small they are still the top predator in the state. They are not prey for any other animal but I think the same could be said for coyotes or bears but whatever. So the DEP May come over with dart guns and see what they can see.

I also called our town police so they can warn families with small children and or pets. Seeing a bobcat is not like seeing a lynx, Jaguar, mountain lion but they definitely are cool animals. Apparently they will scout out areas during the day to pick the best hunting grounds so apparently I shouldn’t let my poor little house cat out for a while. The damn bobcats will prob eat all her mouse anyway

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bobcats in my backyard

For u guys not familiar with our bobcats over here

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/bobcat

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That’s cool, not sure I’ve ever seen one even in captivity. What state are you in, and how has the amount of woodlands doubled like that?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a friend that lives in Cave Creek, Arizona. They see a lot of bobcats there. Here, we have deer in the neighborhoods, the occasional moose, and sometimes a bear will show up. People on the outskirts of town get elk and moose regularly, and mountain lions.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​That is well cool!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

see being the idiot that I am, I would probably try and befriend it and end up getting my face munched off

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just a couple super sized feral cats. We used to get some out of the canyons in SD. Usually not looking to scuffle with hoomans but better watch your small pets. Amazingly fast little bastards. Always messed up when wildlife wanders in to suburbia, lucky ones get trapped and released.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Just a couple super sized feral cats. We used to get some out of the canyons in SD. Usually not looking to scuffle with hoomans but better watch your small pets. Amazingly fast little bastards. Always messed up when wildlife wanders in to suburbia, lucky ones get trapped and released.
    I’m reading the things can take down an adult dear. How is that possible? They can hit 40 pounds and think of playing with your cat then imagine he weighs 40 pounds and has larger claws and teeth. Definitely a prob but a full grown dear, I don’t know.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    That’s cool, not sure I’ve ever seen one even in captivity. What state are you in, and how has the amount of woodlands doubled like that?
    Hey p4p I’m in Connecticut the woodlands have doubled due to the state buying land for parks and then expanding on it and in the days where wood companies used to harvest trees they now plant one or two wherever they cut we also got rid of a lot of our landfills. Prob a few more things I’m not mentioning like high taxes driving out people, I bet animals like high taxes

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Hey p4p I’m in Connecticut the woodlands have doubled due to the state buying land for parks and then expanding on it and in the days where wood companies used to harvest trees they now plant one or two wherever they cut we also got rid of a lot of our landfills. Prob a few more things I’m not mentioning like high taxes driving out people, I bet animals like high taxes
    excellent this narrows it down, especially with more park land where I will know not to look. I gave you every chance to return den den to me without a fight, but you had to pick the hard way. I have sent Brockton a coded message that even your Chinese intelligence won’t be able to intercept, he may already have begun scouting. Tick tock.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

excellent this narrows it down, especially with more park land where I will know not to look. I gave you every chance to return den den to me without a fight, but you had to pick the hard way. I have sent Brockton a coded message that even your Chinese intelligence won’t be able to intercept, he may already have begun scouting. Tick tock.
    Shit you sent the right man he already knows where both of us live it’s his hobby or obsession

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For all you know he has spent the last few months training bobcats to conduct reconnaissance. I’ll give you one last chance to return my denny.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I’m reading the things can take down an adult dear. How is that possible? They can hit 40 pounds and think of playing with your cat then imagine he weighs 40 pounds and has larger claws and teeth. Definitely a prob but a full grown dear, I don’t know.
    I've seen smaller deer but anything's possible if in a predator role you're fast and hungry enough. Not sure about how common multiples are but they might be able to do a number on larger animals. Also have to wonder if some dope purchased them as 'kittens' and couldn't keep them as adult. Humans can be dumb sometimes. We had friggin packs of coyotes picking off small dags around City Park last year and strolling neighborhoods.

Thread Information