Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Canelo went to MSG... AJ's going to MSG. Parallels?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo went to MSG... AJ's going to MSG. Parallels?

Once AJ fights Miller, both he and Canelo will have gone not only to New York, but to Madison Square Garden for the first time in their careers.

Parallels?

NONE.

Joshua's going to MSG for good marketing reasons. He's fighting a highly-ranked U.S. heavyweight, who happens to be from New York. He's fighting on this side of the pond for the first time in his career, something hugely important if he is to capture the U.S. market and increase his global appeal. Hopefully there will be other AJ fights in the U.S., as well as in the UK, because you can't ignore either fan base.

Why did Canelo go to MSG? He was already a well-known entity in the U.S. and probably abroad. He's had the silver spoon treatment since he started boxing, carefully orchestrated by GBP, whose president Fishnets protects his investment more than the gold at Ft. Knox. He really had no need to go to New York. So why did he go? Because it was a well-calculated move to pick up a trinket at another weight class, against the weakest champion of any of the weight divisions. Low hanging fruit to the Nth power. GBP knew they could leave the friendly confines (and bought judges) of the Mexico-Las Vegas-Texas-Southern Cal territory and fight in Madison Square Garden. Hostile fans wouldn't be a problem, as Fielding hails from the UK and if anything, they were closer to Canelo's home turf.

Just a coincidence, that's all.

So while I applaud and encourage AJ to keep fighting in the States once in awhile, I also know it'll be a cold day in hell before Canelo leaves his backyard again. If Canelo ever flies across the pond to fight someone in another continent, it'll be because the guy's clinically blind, 50 years old, 3 divisions undersized, or all of the above.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo went to MSG... AJ's going to MSG. Parallels?

Canelo v Jacobs would have been perfect at the MSG.
    Last edited by Master; 02-18-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well there likely are some parallels. Both fights serve as a measuring stick for how each fighter sells outside of familiar territory, both are part of an effort to revitalize the venue for boxing in general, etc. The real reason AJ is making the trip I feel is to avenge his countryman and restore national pride after Rocky Fielding was set up. Poisoned, coerced by the New York syndicate, robbed by the ref, whatever truly happened, we’ll never know.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Well there likely are some parallels. Both fights serve as a measuring stick for how each fighter sells outside of familiar territory, both are part of an effort to revitalize the venue for boxing in general, etc. The real reason AJ is making the trip I feel is to avenge his countryman and restore national pride after Rocky Fielding was set up. Poisoned, coerced by the New York syndicate, robbed by the ref, whatever truly happened, we’ll never know.

The GBP Family doesn't have a lot of muscle in NY. Then again, the Corleones did expand to the west, setting up their Lake Tahoe compound.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wait, Canelo is going to fight Jacobs and he’s being insulted?

Proof that what a person does is absolutely irrelevant to some boxing fans. Do I like him or don’t I is all that matters. I hate Canelo too but look at his CV, where is irrelevant, who matters. This same crap was said about Ward(hated his bible thumping butt too). If you can’t slag their opposition people just choose a different approach.

It’s more dignified to just tip your cap sometimes and save the hostility for when it’s appropriate.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Wait, Canelo is going to fight Jacobs and he’s being insulted?

Proof that what a person does is absolutely irrelevant to some boxing fans. Do I like him or don’t I is all that matters. I hate Canelo too but look at his CV, where is irrelevant, who matters. This same crap was said about Ward(hated his bible thumping butt too). If you can’t slag their opposition people just choose a different approach.

It’s more dignified to just tip your cap sometimes and save the hostility for when it’s appropriate.

Two words: track record.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think of it this way and take solace, who will ultimately have the more meaningful fight in MSG. It won't be Canelo . But he and Jacobs could fight on a Little league field for all I care, still watching.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Think of it this way and take solace, who will ultimately have the more meaningful fight in MSG. It won't be Canelo . But he and Jacobs could fight on a Little league field for all I care, still watching.

AJ-Miller definitely >> Canelo-Fielding

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Do you think it's on that level of a cherry picked mismatch?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Do you think it's on that level of a cherry picked mismatch?

Not really. Oh, I think a Joshua win is a foregone conclusion... but Miller's one of the top contenders right now in a shallow division. Stands to reason Big Baby was going to get a shot one of these days.

Difference is Joshua didn't jump to another division (tough to do as a HW) seeking out some Bambi-like champion to munch on, adding a meaningless trinket to his collection.

Thread Information