Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mikey and Kell are REAL fighters and REAL men and gets my respect!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mikey and Kell are REAL fighters and REAL men and gets my respect!

What Mikey Garcia and Kell Brook did in moving up mutiple weight classes to make fights gets my respect. Not a gradual move, but challenging top fighters some two plus weight classes above.
    Garcia v Spence and Kell v GGG.... THEY GET MY RESPECT. ULTIMATE RESPECT!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikey and Kell are REAL fighters and REAL men and gets my respect!

Don’t forget Rigo. He deserves more respect because the people 1 division up wouldn’t fight him. It wasn’t a cash grab it was desperation to get a top opponent. He’ll, he didn’t even end up getting paid well

But let’s hope it becomes less common and we have less Frampton’s saying flat out that they will never fight fighter Xxx

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook's effort against Spence keeps looking better, nobody else has come close to holding their own with Spence.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What Brook got was a career lasting injury and some time off his longevity. I hope not same with Mikey. Tough guys though. You don't have to jump divisions to dare greatness and fame when your division is already deep enough. It's the fans who glorify those tin trinkets.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    What Mikey Garcia and Kell Brook did in moving up mutiple weight classes to make fights gets my respect. Not a gradual move, but challenging top fighters some two plus weight classes above.
    Garcia v Spence and Kell v GGG.... THEY GET MY RESPECT. ULTIMATE RESPECT!

They both had the shit beaten out of them by bigger, stronger fighters.
    Brook received career changing injuries in both fights.
    Garcia & Brook proved they have balls but were foolish in doing so
    Brook is finished and Garcia won't ever be the same fighter again after that 12 round beating.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    What Brook got was a career lasting injury and some time off his longevity. I hope not same with Mikey. Tough guys though. You don't have to jump divisions to dare greatness and fame when your division is already deep enough. It's the fans who glorify those tin trinkets.

Precisely. I like Brook but in retrospect there is little value added to his career by jumping up two weight divisions and getting crushed by Golovkin. The key comment here is when your own division is deep and there are good fights to be made. Who knows what Brook could've accomplished had he stayed at welter, maybe venturing to super welter if he ran out of opponents (doubtful).

The Brook-GGG fight and the Garcia-Spence fights are validation once again of why we have weight divisions. They also point out the gross advantage held by those who find a way to cheat the weigh-in system to show up 20-30 pounds heavier than the other guy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook got $250,000 to beat Porter.

Brook got $5 million to challenge Golovkin.

It must be a tough choice for fighters, do I do what fans want or secure my future. Whadya think? Do the right thing! Fight the power!
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Brook got $250,000 to beat Porter.

Brook got $5 million to challenge Golovkin.

It must be a tough choice for fighters, do I do what fans want or secure my future. Whadya think? Do the right thing! Fight the power!
    Brooks was too brave for his own good, Buster Douglas just lay down when he was hit by Evander and laughed all the way to the bank.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

$5 million for a broken eye socket which was broken a second time against Spence. Doctor having told him that one more round against GGG and he could've gone blind in one eye.

Hmm.....

I suppose $5 million could buy a good seeing-eye dog and a red and white cane.

Seriously though, who's to say what future earnings he forfeited by becoming damaged goods. We'll never know.

Hell..... even Khan could probably (gulp) take him now.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia did not take as bad a beating as Brook did but going up in weight does seem to weaken a fighter and takes "miles" off their clock from the fighter.

Ask Roy Jones.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Precisely. I like Brook but in retrospect there is little value added to his career by jumping up two weight divisions and getting crushed by Golovkin. The key comment here is when your own division is deep and there are good fights to be made. Who knows what Brook could've accomplished had he stayed at welter, maybe venturing to super welter if he ran out of opponents (doubtful).

The Brook-GGG fight and the Garcia-Spence fights are validation once again of why we have weight divisions. They also point out the gross advantage held by those who find a way to cheat the weigh-in system to show up 20-30 pounds heavier than the other guy.
    I just don't see a lot of big picture thinking when it comes to the leap frogging divisions. 'Chasing greatness' is all fine and dandy and should be applauded. Fighters on the scale of Mikey or Brook naturally want to challenge themselves but once the hype train leaves the station all we hear about is oh they will be a 4,5 division champ etc etc. A proud fighter will convince themselves of anything especially undefeated talent bordering on p4p. But man you have got to look at the pros and cons and have situational awareness. You do not untake punches and damage sits on a guy. Now Khan..that was a cash grab. I called it a shortcut to the relevancy he always whines about being denied until Crawford. Or you get guys like Guerrero who also skipped a division but played his hand well. Jump up, beat a trinket 'holder' then win the lottery and have something to bring to a Mayweather dance. I just want Mikey to go on being top tier and get focused. He got so scattered with up and down weights I feel it will cost him long term, time and money.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now everybody knows I am not a fan, but why hasn’t Khan been mentioned in the same breath?
    He did what these 2 did with Canelo. Have to say, I’m being devils advocate here. I’m just trying to be fair and balanced. Thoughts?
    I’ll start. Khan’s was a blatant money grab where he knew he had no chance, but he also knew that it wouldn’t hinder opportunities back at his real weight. Am I being harsh?
    Brave as these guys are,none of these fights should ever have been sanctioned. With everybody paying lip service to the safety of Boxers etc. They let these fights happen.
    Rigo - never the same since
    Brook- permanent damage, possibly never the same since. (Admittedly he fought well against Spence.)
    Khan - never the same since.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about Amir Khan?

He got off this sofa & went up two divisions to fight Alvarez.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
    What about Amir Khan?

He got off this sofa & went up two divisions to fight Alvarez.
    Now he is taking on Crawford. Khan can not be faulted for his bravery.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spence bigger, stronger, but also more skilled, he dissected the guy. What Spence did, was prove he is very knowledgeable offensive and defensive. Timing; impeccable. Makes me respect Henry Armstrong all the more... @133½ pounds, beat Ross @ 142.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information