Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman

Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman reportedly in ‘advanced talks’ for July 13/20 fight

The welterweights are both signed to Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions

Manny Pacquiao and Keith Thurman are in ‘advanced talks’ for a potential welterweight title fight, according to reports.

July 13 is said to be the current target date if the bout comes to fruition, with July 20 another possibility. Either way, it will fit in between Pacquiao’s political commitments to the Filipino senate.

It is claimed by FOX Sports’ Mike Coppinger that a deal is expected to be completed, although it is not yet done.

Pacquiao, 40, was last seen comprehensively outboxing Adrien Broner on January 19.

One week later, 30-year-old Thurman returned from a two-year lay-off to beat Josesito Lopez.

While neither man has looked at their scintillating best of late, a meeting would still prove very intriguing.

The match-up would pit the WBA’s secondary ‘regular’ title holder against the WBA’s major ‘super’ title holder and eliminate the superfluous extra belt.

Elsewhere in the welterweight division, IBF champion Errol Spence is being lined up for a unification with WBC champion Shawn Porter.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/5...an-july-fight/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman

Hopefully this fight can happen. I actually think that Pacquiao beats him. I wouldn’t be surprised either way though

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How far has Thurman fallen? I am sure Keith beats Manny, although it would be a very entertaining bout.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The writer doesn’t seem to understand how fake belts work. If a fake title holder meets a real title holder it does not eliminate the fake title. It becomes vacant for a different fake title holder to win. Of course we must remember that if the new fake title holder has light skin it will be counted as a major championship.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    The writer doesn’t seem to understand how fake belts work. If a fake title holder meets a real title holder it does not eliminate the fake title. It becomes vacant for a different fake title holder to win. Of course we must remember that if the new fake title holder has light skin it will be counted as a major championship.
    I didn’t realize until recently you have the idea in your head that white fighters get more than black fighters. What was that posters name who was really racist?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Denilson Swanson.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I didn’t realize until recently you have the idea in your head that white fighters get more than black fighters. What was that posters name who was really racist?
    I remember the guy. Denilson, he was terribly irritating.

I don’t have an idea white fighters get more, it’s a documented fact. In some ways it makes sense, with the media being 95+% white. Look at David Lemieux, you think if he was some black fella being such a crap fighter he would have made the money he’s made, been given the opportunities he was given? The guy lost to Joachim Alcine in the middle of an 8 fight stretch where his only win was Lemieux. But then Lemieux got better right, that’s how he repaired his image right?
    Naw, what he did was fight Jaudiel Zepeda(excuse me if I get a few of these names wrong because nobody knows who they are), Alvaro Gaona, Albert Ayropytiel, hell, I really can’t recall these people. I’d go on but I’d butcher the names or go to boxrec. The point is he fought nobodies in front of large crowds.

I could give you 100 examples very easily of this type of stuff that would not happen without a person earning it unless the looked right. Everyone knows the term great white hype for a reason, they’re always looking for him. That is not to say that there are not great white fighters, there are hundreds of those too. But, and this is where my teasing began about fake or real, they get different treatment too. For example, Loma was rated above Mikey, when Mikey had more wins, more titles won, in more divisions and had unified. At a time where Loma had less wins, less titles won in less divisions and had not unified, and had a loss against a common opponent. When you type it it sounds ridiculous, but people thought it made sense, still do. But I was directly teasing how GGGs “regular WBA” title fights were counted as “major title fights”. You and I both know it’s not a major title, but the guys with hoods will come argue every time how they were major title fights. After all he earned it against the great Milton Nunez. Err wait, it’s Felix Sturms fault since he ducked GGG so GGG couldn’t get the real belt so we should just give him credit for major title fights even though he didn’t fight major title fights(this is an actual argument made on this subject as preposterous as it is). The opponents weren’t his fault, the belt wasn’t his fault so it’s major even though it isn’t major(again, actual argument even though preposterous).

Tell me a time people got away with defending a black fighter with such absurd BS and I’ll tip my cap and say all is indeed fair.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 04-04-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m not saying that Boxing is squeaky clean, not by a long chalk. But I don’t think Racism is at the top of the pile of all the shit things that go on in the Sport. If racism was rife, then ALL the greatest fighters EVER that are ALL Black would’ve been held back .
    I’m not saying there isn’t some racism, I actually believe there are 2 types of people in this World. Guys that are honest enough to admit that they are racist to whatever degree, and Liars!
    But that’s not just Boxing, it’s life in General. And don’t forget, Racism isn’t just a “Black and White” thing. Black guys are racist as well as white , yellow, red and any other colour there is.
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 04-04-2019 at 06:49 PM.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this is a great fight for Manny. Thurman likes to run as a fight progresses anyway, so I can see Manny making him do that pretty early on. Thurman might run to the distance or Manny beats him down. Easier fight than Spence.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t have an idea white fighters get more, it’s a documented fact. In some ways it makes sense, with the media being 95+% white. Look at David Lemieux, you think if he was some black fella being such a crap fighter he would have made the money he’s made, been given the opportunities he was given? The guy lost to Joachim Alcine in the middle of an 8 fight stretch where his only win was Lemieux. But then Lemieux got better right, that’s how he repaired his image right?
    Naw, what he did was fight Jaudiel Zepeda(excuse me if I get a few of these names wrong because nobody knows who they are), Alvaro Gaona, Albert Ayropytiel, hell, I really can’t recall these people. I’d go on but I’d butcher the names or go to boxrec. The point is he fought nobodies in front of large crowds.

I could give you 100 examples very easily of this type of stuff that would not happen without a person earning it unless the looked right. Everyone knows the term great white hype for a reason, they’re always looking for him. That is not to say that there are not great white fighters, there are hundreds of those too. But, and this is where my teasing began about fake or real, they get different treatment too. For example, Loma was rated above Mikey, when Mikey had more wins, more titles won, in more divisions and had unified. At a time where Loma had less wins, less titles won in less divisions and had not unified, and had a loss against a common opponent. When you type it it sounds ridiculous, but people thought it made sense, still do. But I was directly teasing how GGGs “regular WBA” title fights were counted as “major title fights”. You and I both know it’s not a major title, but the guys with hoods will come argue every time how they were major title fights. After all he earned it against the great Milton Nunez. Err wait, it’s Felix Sturms fault since he ducked GGG so GGG couldn’t get the real belt so we should just give him credit for major title fights even though he didn’t fight major title fights(this is an actual argument made on this subject as preposterous as it is). The opponents weren’t his fault, the belt wasn’t his fault so it’s major even though it isn’t major(again, actual argument even though preposterous).

Tell me a time people got away with defending a black fighter with such absurd BS and I’ll tip my cap and say all is indeed fair.
    Dunno. I think Floyd has done the best of all fiscally and it wasn't down to white privilege. Black fighters can and do great. If you keep on winning and looking great then you tend to make coin. I don't see any racial lines in boxing really. Tyson, Holyfield and Joshua are examples of fighters who have made fortunes.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 04-04-2019 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Adding a few examples.....lots more obviously. Mind you Holyfield and Tyson are silly for going broke.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They can call a trinket super dooper or a glorified paper weight I think majority of fans can decipher a crap match up designed to showcase the 'champ' and run up numbers from a legitimate title defense v an ordered mandatory or legit top contender, Titleist. Lots of factors go into guys like Lemieux getting chances, promoters love a perceived pure punching threat who has faced big names to compare results to. They also know he has recently come in to the ring shaped like Winnie the Pooh and is beatable. Sure pigmentation with a 90's Steven Segal haircut probably helps. They keep them in rotation and visible to drop in when the time is right or as an option when negotiations fall flat elsewhere. Like a spare tire. Not currently sure what Gabriel Rosado lines up as in life's box of color crayons but talk about a guy who has had more lives than a feral alley cat and is coming off missing another title shot by a minute or two. Some fans just except fighters with wear and tear but who come to fight.

Based on the last I saw of both Thurman and Manny I honestly think Manny can pull it off. It's a decent style match up and Manny has some timing that can still work coming forward against a guy like Thurman. As for the wba they can take their 4,5 trinkets per division and do fans a favor and drop them at the smelter.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Lemieux gets more chances and money than hes worth largely because hes french Canadian, not neccesarily because hes white. Thats a reasonably large market with basically no other representation in boxing. Its like TV dinner is trying to fill the void Denilson and Freedom have left though, I like it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mean most of the best fighters ever have been black and made tons of money. How many do you want me to name? Not just black but also non white fighters get special treatment all the time. Rocky Juarez for some reason always had the refs and judges in his pocket. He lost over and over and kept getting title fights. Amir Khan is a non white fighter who just won’t go away and keeps getting big fight after big fight even though he isn’t a top fighter.

A black fighter now who gets special treatment is Keith Thurman. As you state, gets an elective surgery yet keeps his title even though he doesn’t fight. Basically calls his own shots and not even fighting.

Your Lemieux example is just a nationality thing. The Canadians pushed for him and he was an exciting fighter. Knockout artists who can get knocked out are always big draws because they are exciting. Same as someone like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Joshua, Canelo, etc getting special treatment because they are cash cows. It doesn’t matter the color of their skin.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm.... if defending women boxers from transgenders makes me "sexist"..... does Ron on his soapbox about black and white fighters make him "racist"?

Just wondering, because we want to be consistent here.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No he's more sexist too. He only cares about the hungry man.

Thread Information