Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nick Blackwell's Recovery

Little article with a short video interview with Blackwell recovering after his second coma. Boxing for him like many was his life and easy though it is to judge what was clearly a daft decision to spar thankfully he has been given a third chance and seems to be grabbing hold of it. Learning how to walk, talk, eat etc again is no mean feat and is a fight he will have to continue for the rest of his life. Puts things into a little perspective with the sport that we all love. When it goes wrong it can be catastrophic for those involved. God bless the chap and hope he can continue to improve each day

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/20...in-after-coma/
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nick Blackwell's Recovery

Had forgotten about this more or less. Sad to see the way he looks and sounds now compared to the interview only a few weeks after the Eubank fight. Just goes to show how seriously any prior brain injury has to be taken, and how silly it is to think its “just” sparring in any case. Granted his was especially extreme and as you say it is on him for making that decision, still have to wonder exactly how it went down. Did anyone enable it, was he taking what seemed like prolonged or heavy punishment etc, or just a case where he was headstrong and couldnt afford to get touched any more whatsoever.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nick Blackwell was a decent boxer who had bags of energy and was relentless in the ring. He scored some impressive knock outs late in fights and I became a fan of his because he was always in exciting bouts.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very sad. It’s easy to be hard on him because of the sparring bringing on the second coma, but Boxing was his fucking life.
    However, the cunts who a. Sparred with him and b. Ran the gym that allowed him to spar, should have criminal charges against them.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its easy to say that after the fact, but does anyone know what happened? The guys who sparred with him could have been young kids or novices, maybe Blackwell was pressing them to get in the ring with him.... like I said, he seemed himself just a few weeks after the Eubank fight, maybe nobody else involved even knew what the extent of the injury was, maybe he didnt himself.... Look at someone like Jermain Taylor, he had a brain injury after bad back to back KO losses, looked awful and was hurt again in his comeback, and was actually still sanctioned to fight for a world title not long afterwards.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Its easy to say that after the fact, but does anyone know what happened? The guys who sparred with him could have been young kids or novices, maybe Blackwell was pressing them to get in the ring with him.... like I said, he seemed himself just a few weeks after the Eubank fight, maybe nobody else involved even knew what the extent of the injury was, maybe he didnt himself.... Look at someone like Jermain Taylor, he had a brain injury after bad back to back KO losses, looked awful and was hurt again in his comeback, and was actually still sanctioned to fight for a world title not long afterwards.
    Nah. I remember at the time, I think the guy who sparred him was a novice LHW and the guy who’s gym it was were there. They knew the Blackwell story, they should never have let it happen. I’ll see if I can find out some more facts.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information