Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo v Jacobs - May 4th - Las Vegas

How good is Dmitry Pirog ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    How good is Dmitry Pirog ?
    Bud and I were saying same thing, too bad his spine or whatever said fuck your career.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fuck knows what some of you lot were watching!
    Canelo set the pace from the first Bell, owned the centre of the ring and was the aggressive one.
    I gave Jacobs about 3 rounds at most.
    Jacobs was the bigger man and had the longer reach but didn't get any sort of rythmn going.
    PED scandal aside Canelo is one solid little motherfucker.
    Jacobs looked shit in his last 2 fights and looked second best in there.
    Canelo won that by a mile for me.
    If that prick Saunders can get his head on right he'd give him his 2nd boxing lesson.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo showing some flashes of brilliance in there with a solid performance. His movement is just better than Jacobs and Danny paid the price for not being able to get out of the way as sublimely as Alvarez does at times, and so could not do his own work. Whatever you think of Canelo the person, as a boxer he continues to impress and make a very good case for being one of the P4P greats fighting today. His punch selection is fantastic and innate which allows him to dictate things while his opponent is busy just trying to survive and adjust. He does not even need to be on the front foot to be making the space in which to deliver. He does not rely on the uppercut to get back to work when backed up, he can mix it up much more fluidly now and it left Jacobs exasperated.

Jacobs did well to hold his own and still be there to claw a few rounds back toward the second half when Alvarez slowed, but the work had been done, and in truth the cards could have been even wider without it being a case of Vegas bias. It's a bummer when the 'good' guy is not the one with his hand held up but Canelo is making a solid case for leaving a legacy bigger than the controversy. The problem is now who does he fight? He could give GGG a third fight and knock him out and he still would not be granted the kudos his solid performances have earned him.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Canelo showing some flashes of brilliance in there with a solid performance. His movement is just better than Jacobs and Danny paid the price for not being able to get out of the way as sublimely as Alvarez does at times, and so could not do his own work. Whatever you think of Canelo the person, as a boxer he continues to impress and make a very good case for being one of the P4P greats fighting today. His punch selection is fantastic and innate which allows him to dictate things while his opponent is busy just trying to survive and adjust. He does not even need to be on the front foot to be making the space in which to deliver. He does not rely on the uppercut to get back to work when backed up, he can mix it up much more fluidly now and it left Jacobs exasperated.

Jacobs did well to hold his own and still be there to claw a few rounds back toward the second half when Alvarez slowed, but the work had been done, and in truth the cards could have been even wider without it being a case of Vegas bias. It's a bummer when the 'good' guy is not the one with his hand held up but Canelo is making a solid case for leaving a legacy bigger than the controversy. The problem is now who does he fight? He could give GGG a third fight and knock him out and he still would not be granted the kudos his solid performances have earned him.
    Let’s not get carried away. Canelo won legitimately but it wasn’t a blowout. Canelo is a good fighter but there are still a handful of guys better than him. Canelo is still bottom half p4p guy.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jacobs has admitted he can’t make the weight anymore, and it has weakened him so he will move up. He didn’t say so in any way to disparage Canelo, just as a statement of fact. And I thought that fact was quite clear at the weigh in and I said so.

That aside, unless Canelo had inside information on his growing struggles to make the weight he deserves respect for being a champion making the fights we want. I hate him but his CV is a who’s who. And that’s all I want from fighters. Win or lose, don’t care, fight the best and leave us with the answers we seek.

Hate to say it but Canelo deserves credit for what he’s done.(but the steroids and stacked decks will always be there putting that credit in check)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, Canelo is quite simply a great fighter(even if a cheating deck stacker)

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

Let’s not get carried away. Canelo won legitimately but it wasn’t a blowout. Canelo is a good fighter but there are still a handful of guys better than him. Canelo is still bottom half p4p guy.
    It wasn't a blowout because Jacobs is very good. The fact that at times Canelo could make him look ordinary and pedestrian proves just how good Canelo is. GGG and Jacobs are top tier fighters and while I thought he lost at least one fight to GGG we are talking fine margins against another top drawer fighter. If it was the 70's, 80's or 90's Canelo would hang in there with guys who are talked about as legends today. Who would you have above him in the nonsensical P4P rankings? Lomachenko, Usyk, Crawford, Inoue, Wangek?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't a blowout because Jacobs is very good. The fact that at times Canelo could make him look ordinary and pedestrian proves just how good Canelo is. GGG and Jacobs are top tier fighters and while I thought he lost at least one fight to GGG we are talking fine margins against another top drawer fighter. If it was the 70's, 80's or 90's Canelo would hang in there with guys who are talked about as legends today. Who would you have above him in the nonsensical P4P rankings? Lomachenko, Usyk, Crawford, Inoue, Wangek?
    I wouldn’t rank Wangek above him now since he just lost last week to Estrada. I think that Crawford, Loma, and Usyk are all clearly above him. I still think that Garcia is clearly above him (don’t think the Spence loss should be counted against him). I would also rank Inuoe above him. So that’s five who I think are pretty clearly above him. I would put Spence above him too. GGG is also above him because a p4p list for me has nothing to do with what the judges score but what I score, and I thought GGG won both fights pretty convincingly (about as convincing as Canelo beat Jacobs).

So that’s 6 people I think should be above him. Wangek could have been if not for the fact of losing last week. I’ve said multiple times that I do think that Canelo is a really good fighter. He is just the cash cow in boxing at the moment so he is extremely overrated by the media which convinced the common fan that he is better than he is. Canelo has yet to just dominate a fight against a good fighter. This was his first non controversial win against a good fighter.

So again, he is a really good fighter, but I just don’t fall into the hype the media pushes for him. There are definitely better fighters out there who don’t get near the push because they can’t generate near the money.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I think with Canelo’s chin and heavy hands, he could hang in with some of the great MWs over the past few decades, but I don’t think he has proven to be on that level.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-a...-stats--138692

Jacobs ended up missing quite a lot, or had his punches blocked. Well according to compubox.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey guys. Didn't watch the fight but you guys did a great job on your combined rbr commentary...

From the sounds of it, Canelo deserves credit for beating Jacobs in what appears to have been a fair decision. Would've been interesting to see the quandary Jacobs would've put the judges in, had he won convincingly over Canelo. One could say he spared the judges the dreaded task of having to rob him. What can I say. As probably the biggest Canelo hater on this forum, I'll grudgingly give Ginger his due. He's still a dirty cheater.... and nothing will ever change the fact that he was anointed and coddled since Day One of his career. Nothing will change the fact that he also played the weight game like a grandmaster, and was always bigger and heavier than his opponents. But he HAS worked hard at improving, and seems to have found his groove at middleweight. Forgotten obviously, is the shameful way he dodged Golovkin in the beginning while Fishnets was trying to drag GGG down to 154... only to have Ginger inexplicably jump to 170 to fight pushover Chavez Jr. When he finally worked up enough guts to fight GGG, he got gifted two decisions. Vegas is Canelo's playground and safe haven. He'll never have to worry about a decision going against him. Not with judges, announcers, and everyone around him deep-throating him for all they're worth. Still.... all that aside, Canelo keeps doing his job and facing the top guys (the Rocky Fieldings of the world notwithstanding). Aside from the friendly confines of Las Vegas, he's got his chin to thank for his success. With that combination and Team Ginger's matchmaking prowess, it's possible that Canelo retires without ever losing another fight.

That being said, I still hate the guy.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All the things that can be questioned about Canelo, his opposition is not one. Is their anything more important than top fighters fighting other top fighters?

Dude is like 28, can you imagine where his CV is headed? It’s no wonder he has so many haters. Hell, I’ve always been one myself but he does the one thing I ask top guys to do, I should be on board. If he only did it fair

Thread Information