Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Things Technology didn't/can't Make Better

Records still rock!
    I have albums from the decades ago that still play. And where there is a scratch? Depending on how deep it is, the same trick still works; penny wrapped around a rubber band. Nickel for deep and quarter for max scratch.

I've got CDs from a few years ago, that scratch,skip or freeze.

CDs & DVDs if but pampered, are useless over time.

I've got cassette tapes that snapped or snagged, solution? Spliced it. Now that piece is gone, but the tape still plays.

Was about to upgrade in a new stereo system, but after pondering, I'm migrating back to the turntables!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Things Technology didn't/can't Make Better

2 for 1 combo thread....after posting this . Once again technology takes a word I typed, then changed it.

Technology for the worse; rewriting your words. I typed same trick, then had to edit,because it decided sane was a better choice.
    Then I place my cursor over the words sane and offered me 'same'

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DVDs if but pampered, are useless over time.

Oh hello no. I typed. if not pampered

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ridiculous.

I typed hell no,
    Not hello

El Kabong Guest

Technology has made a lot of things worse....your typical "first world problems" like: face to face communication, day to day anxiety, depression, obesity.

People are more likely to yell their thoughts and feelings online instead of share in person because people are more shy in many ways these days.

Anxiety & depression are exacerbated because if before the internet was a thing and you felt bad about your life and where things were headed for you....then welcome to hell as the entire world is now on display as are you and if you're feeling inadequate in your own head then holy shit dude social media ain't for you.

Obesity is worse because technology makes people lazier that's how it works.

I think straying further from how humans USED to live (hunter gatherer, farming, physically working all day) is quite harmful for us. That energy we had to do that physical labor is still in us it's just now working on your mind leading you to being more anxious, being more depressed, not getting out, not seeing people, not being a part of the real world.

I've worked hard on pretty much starting a tiny little urban farm and doing my own work on my house instead of paying someone to do it....it's given me some headaches but you feel a great sense of accomplishment to complete chores and tasks yourself and grow your own food, it's brilliant. Hunting has also brought that to me. I've not done as much fishing as I'd like though which I'll need to get back to eventually.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smart technology to open a curtain or turn on the radio, get up and do it yourself you lazy twat.

People wasting their time playing games on their mobiles.

Obsessing about other peoples lives on social media.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Smart technology to open a curtain or turn on the radio, get up and do it yourself you lazy twat.

Ah yes, nothing more infuriating than attempting to have a chat with someone and then it's 'buzz buzz' or some obnoxious ringtone and whoever you're trying to connect with face to face turns away from you to faceplant into a screen VIRTUALLY connecting with someone else. I've fucking had it with that. It's like the 1990's problem of waiting in line for service at some retail outlet or you're going to the cashier to pay for your goods when all of a sudden 'ring ring' "Hello, Blankety Blank store Johnny speaking".....Do you want my money or not Johnny? I'll just take the shit if you don't want me to pay. Fucking ALL THE TIME and it's gotten worse.

Social Media is a toxic dumpheap! Twitter is far and away the worst. It's all bubbles, spheres of influence which encapsulate and insulate people from the "otherside"....I dig into the other side, I read their bullshit, I attempt to think as they do, it's why I study up on Communism and Globalism and all that even though I abhor them. I have to KNOW them to justify hating them otherwise I wouldn't fucking bother would I?

Another thing technology has fucked up is etiquette. Not just the use of a mobile ANYWHERE ANYTIME ANY REASON but just in general it is as if people have forgotten how to conduct themselves.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lot's of talk about driverless cars and I just won't have it . I don't even trust auto braking vehicles. Driving can be a very individual almost healthy experience, depending on your town and time of day but to enable drivers to have even less focus on surroundings and more time to just stare into their stupid phones is not bright.

Had a client tell me of an 'automatic' dog bathing set up as well as an auto walker. Has to be right up there with dumb as a box of rocks. Again that is another shared experience and misses the entire point of a good dag and companion in the family. Really..if you don't care to walk your own dag and have that time buy a plastic houseplant ffs.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Obesity is worse because technology makes people lazier that's how it works.

I think straying further from how humans USED to live (hunter gatherer, farming, physically working all day) is quite harmful for us. That energy we had to do that physical labor is still in us it's just now working on your mind leading you to being more anxious, being more depressed, not getting out, not seeing people, not being a part of the real world.

What do you think about those cooking thing-a-majigs, infomercials where they say you can cook, fry, roast all in one! Is it harmful, radiation? I dunno. But my tastebuds still remember my grandmother's cooking with that big azz giant black frying pan. She'd get up early on a Sunday as well.

Now, the commercials are all about time, as if its a waste to prepare what keeps us alive.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't believe I got bit. I have no xbox, PS...but on my phone I play this pro-bowling with pins called the bomb. Takes two hours to recharge and like a fool, I bought a few, now find myself looking for the high score by paying dollars for imaginary bomb balls to blow up the pins.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

I can't believe I got bit. I have no xbox, PS...but on my phone I play this pro-bowling with pins called the bomb. Takes two hours to recharge and like a fool, I bought a few, now find myself looking for the high score by paying dollars for imaginary bomb balls to blow up the pins.
    It is people like you fall for their tricks and give them the money to carry on.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    What do you think about those cooking thing-a-majigs, infomercials where they say you can cook, fry, roast all in one! Is it harmful, radiation? I dunno. But my tastebuds still remember my grandmother's cooking with that big azz giant black frying pan. She'd get up early on a Sunday as well.

Now, the commercials are all about time, as if its a waste to prepare what keeps us alive.
    Slim my brother, myself coming from the land that created both kinds of barbecue (Eastern [whole hog & sauce is vinegar and spices] and Lexington [shoulder only & sauce is ketchup and/or molasses with various spices] style...there are no others that I recognize) which take hours and hours to cook I wholeheartedly despise gadgets which say they'll make "quick" fixes in the kitchen.

Your grandmother would probably say the same as my grandmother "You can't rush/hurry perfection"

You can definitely taste when time, effort, and LOVE goes into cooking....and you can taste when something has been made with an "air fryer" too

Perfect call!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Next chance, I get, I'm downgrading back to a flip phone.

24 hours of battery time is not an improvement, IMO. All that power to run video, streaming, games yet if your away from an outlet -blew a fuse (cigarette) lighter in my car, stuck in massive traffic & just watching my % just drop by the minute.

Was on the phone trying to get info on a bill--said I had a 18 minute wait...by the time it got down to 3 minutes, somehow my cheek hit a button- the end call. Now I got to start over because of this sensitive piece of stuff!

Worse incident was dropping an android in the water, well it turned back on, but started dialing numbers at random. A few times 911 & the screen wouldn't let me hit end call. if there is a worse to what else could happen is Being single at my age is rough as I lost contact with the few ladies i kept up with...after the splash in the sink, it would never let me access the phone contacts. Just the main screen, youtube and random numbers and letters constantly popping up.

My grandparents rotary phone never had these kind of issues.

Thread Information