Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Mike Tyson vs top heavyweights from Ali's era.Who does he win and who does he lose to

Share/Bookmark
    james16million Guest

Default Mike Tyson vs top heavyweights from Ali's era.Who does he win and who does he lose to

Most people think 86-88 or Prime Tyson can easily beat Wilder, AJ, Fury. I agree with them!

How would Prime Tyson do in the Golden era of Heavyweights?
    E.g. if he fought in Ali's times

Mike Tyson vs Muhammad Ali - Who will win and why

I think Tyson beats 60% of them. Would lose to Foreman, Ali etc

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mike Tyson vs top heavyweights from Ali's era.Who does he win and who does he los

60-67 Clay Ali, particularly 64-67, is GOAT. No HW moved like that before him, so Tyson would be constantly lunging. The Ali that beat Williams, did something Ali post 1970 never did, touch that body. He even threw shots going forward.
    He even bobbed under shots, weaved. Post 1970 he laid on the ropes like a dope.

That 64-67 Ali has too much speed, reflexes, movement, upper and lower body, deceptive power that slashed and cut his foes. he could gauge, time and measure Tyson. if Tyson somehow got inside, he'd tie him up.

I remember when a young Tyson stated to his corner "he's holding me" on Smith. Only for Rooney to respond, "don't give me that... I want you bent at the knees back behind a good solid jab and you make him stop holding you."

That small moment showed how skeptical, vulnerable Tyson could be without anyone to goad him into thinking he was great. Ali didn't have that emotional problem.

A year or so ago, Tyson almost in tears again, stated Ali was willing to die in the ring...F that...not me, I never had that in me. The inner being of Ali was immeasurable. His skill and talent could be measured as the apex of what a great HW could do.

Tyson stops Frazier, because he was smaller & wouldn't have the power to keep Mike honest, he's in the eye of the storm. Stops Norton in round 1, like Foreman & Cooney.
    Bloodies Bonavena to a TKO. Henry Cooper that dropped Ali, get pummeled in 3-5 rounds. KO's Shavers who couldn't take a punch well. I think his toughest contest would've been Ron Lyle who could punch & take one. If he doesn't stop him in 5 or less, his asthma kicks in and he may get knocked out later rounds.
    Not sure about George. George was big & strong, but he never fought a mobile HW, until Young, who outboxed him (whereas Ali in Africa started laying on the ropes-there to be found). Tyson unlike Frazier doesn't just stand in front of George. When Joe bobbed, George landed the upper cuts at will When Joe weaved, George threw lopping haymakers catching him at will.

Tyson was more agile with his movement than Joe was, his footwork some of the best in the biz for HW, bar Ali & Holmes. Someone gets hurt pretty bad in this one, if not both, but I would favor a Prime Tyson over George.

Past it George makes past it Tyson quit.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 05-19-2019 at 03:45 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mike Tyson vs top heavyweights from Ali's era.Who does he win and who does he los

I’ve often thought about this and also just keep coming to Ali and Foreman who would beat him.

Think George fight would be a 4 round thriller with Foreman having to get up off the canvas but as we saw Tyson never demonstrated the will to win when things weren’t going his way and once George hurts him the end would be near.

Ali would just play with him from start to finish and embarrass him. A frustrated Tyson would lose via DQ or pulled out by his corner late on.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I’ve often thought about this and also just keep coming to Ali and Foreman who would beat him.

Think George fight would be a 4 round thriller with Foreman having to get up off the canvas but as we saw Tyson never demonstrated the will to win when things weren’t going his way and once George hurts him the end would be near.

Ali would just play with him from start to finish and embarrass him. A frustrated Tyson would lose via DQ or pulled out by his corner late on.
    In a sense I agree, but I question------ you think Tyson would get frustrated with his family (team) of Rooney, Giachetti & D'Amato still alive-- and not rise above it? That is where my theory begins. With those guys, he pulled through to which is why I quoted the Rooney bid in-between rounds....He did get Frustrate MTKO. Difference is, they pulled him through it.

Just a theory and opinion.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Versus George Foreman that is. Aint no pulling through against the Louisville Lip.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe he'd have a better chance of pulling through with those guys in his corner. But the opponents then weren't Big George.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prime George was too slow and ponderous for a prime Tyson. However George had a tremendous chin and may have taken the punishment and knockdowns to come back at Tyson. If that happened then Mike may quit by any means he could.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information