Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prime Mayweather vs Prime Pacquiao. I think Floyd would dominate Manny even worse

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prime Mayweather vs Prime Pacquiao. I think Floyd would dominate Manny even worse

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I feel bad for people that think it would even be competitive if Floyd was in his prime. Think of what Roach thought gave Manny a chance “Floyd’s legs are gone” “Floyd’s legs are gone” “Floyd’s legs are gone”.

Floyd out of his prime made Manny reach because of his superior ring intellect. Floyd with his legs makes Manny look foolish. Well, more foolish, because he made the fight so darned easy as it was.
    First, I find it admirable that you are sympathetic to those of us who feel it would be a close fight. When individuals with obvious superior intellect remain humble and care about the little people, it speaks volumes to that genius’s character. For all of us who are so inferior, please allow me to thank you for your patience, understanding, and sympathy.

Second, even though I know it doesn’t fit your narrative, I just can’t help but remember a prime Floyd struggling with Jose Luis Castillo, who I don’t think is better than prime Manny. Additionally, I seem to remember a prime Floyd having some rough patches vs Corley and Judah. While it is true that Floyd eventually adjusted and dominated both southpaws, I feel that they were levels below a prime Manny.

So, while I think Floyd should have always been the favorite, I can see a case for Manny winning and DEFINITELY feel it is a closer fight prime vs prime. One punch can change everything, however, so the right counter by Floyd or the right shot from Manny could end the fight for either.
    If boxing was only about who’s better, sure, you make a good point. But styles make fights. For all his talent Manny is a dope. You counter him he stops and thinks, and thinking is not Manny’s game. I called exactly how the fight went years before it happened. When you are exactly right you get to tell people they’re wrong. I’m sorry but that’s how being right and being wrong works.

Hell, if you like I can even find Roach saying “we can be ready for Clottey but we can’t be ready for Mayweather by March”. He said this when the fight was first proposed, exactly in the prime. Even Manny’s people knew, that’s why Bob talked him into PULLING OUT OF THE AGREED FIGHT. As if anything could be more clear than that.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 05-24-2019 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prime Mayweather vs Prime Pacquiao. I think Floyd would dominate Manny even worse

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I feel bad for people that think it would even be competitive if Floyd was in his prime. Think of what Roach thought gave Manny a chance “Floyd’s legs are gone” “Floyd’s legs are gone” “Floyd’s legs are gone”.

Floyd out of his prime made Manny reach because of his superior ring intellect. Floyd with his legs makes Manny look foolish. Well, more foolish, because he made the fight so darned easy as it was.
    First, I find it admirable that you are sympathetic to those of us who feel it would be a close fight. When individuals with obvious superior intellect remain humble and care about the little people, it speaks volumes to that genius’s character. For all of us who are so inferior, please allow me to thank you for your patience, understanding, and sympathy.

Second, even though I know it doesn’t fit your narrative, I just can’t help but remember a prime Floyd struggling with Jose Luis Castillo, who I don’t think is better than prime Manny. Additionally, I seem to remember a prime Floyd having some rough patches vs Corley and Judah. While it is true that Floyd eventually adjusted and dominated both southpaws, I feel that they were levels below a prime Manny.

So, while I think Floyd should have always been the favorite, I can see a case for Manny winning and DEFINITELY feel it is a closer fight prime vs prime. One punch can change everything, however, so the right counter by Floyd or the right shot from Manny could end the fight for either.
    If boxing was only about who’s better, sure, you make a good point. But styles make fights. For all his talent Manny is a dope. You counter him he stops and thinks, and thinking is not Manny’s game. I called exactly how the fight went years before it happened. When you are exactly right you get to tell people they’re wrong. I’m sorry but that’s how being right and being wrong works.

Hell, if you like I can even find Roach saying “we can be ready for Clottey but we can’t be ready for Mayweather by March”. He said this when the fight was first proposed, exactly in the prime. Even Manny’s people knew, that’s why Bob talked him into PULLING OUT OF THE AGREED FIGHT. As if anything could be more clear than that.
    You predicted that the fight would happen five years too late and that Manny would be a one armed fighter due to a shoulder injury?!?? I knew you were really smart and compassionate Ron, but I never realized you had super powers as well. Should I just call you Nostradamus from now on, seeing as how you can call things EXACTLY as they will be years in the future?!? You’re really impressive man!

Great point about Roach saying Manny needed more time to prep for the ATG Mayweather than for the one dimensional Clottey. If the ability to predict the future wasn’t impressive enough, your ability to make salient and relevant points like that is truly impressive. I mean, Roach admitted Manny would need more time to prep for a tricky defensive fighter, what more do we need!?! Well, I’m obviously out of my league in this discussion.

I owe you a debt of gratitude for your insight Ron. Not like slimtrae, who took the time to provide specific and relevant examples of why he feels Manny loses (susceptibility to length/jab similar to Morales, and countering similar to JMM). He was providing good analysis, but not once did he condescend with false bravado or feel the need to broadcast any super powers or special abilities. I tell you buddy, calling Manny a dope just highlights the value of your posts on here. Great stuff- consistently nuanced and complex.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by james16million View Post
    Floyd Mayweather is much older than Pacquiao (although Pacquiao has been in more "wars" in boxing and was probably more out of prime), but there are many reasons why I think Prime Floyd would smoke Pacquiao even worse.

Main reasons
    -Prime Floyd was more aggressive. When he was Pretty Boy Floyd, he knocked people out and had a perfectly healthy hand
    -Prime Floyd was more faster and had quicker reflexes
    -Floyd smoked Canelo and Marquez, who knocked out Pacquiao
    -Floyd hit way harder in his prime

Mayweather is only one year older than Pacquiao.

Also, Mayweather's prime is truly hard to gauge because he had such a long prime.

It's arguable that he was in his prime at 130, but he was still formidable right up to 154.

Pacquiao was also another weight hopper, but I think he was at his destructive best at 147, although about 10 - 12 years ago.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the worst fights I have ever seen..put this to bed.

There will be no rematch and if they were both in their primes..it’s pretty hard to go against a prime pretty boy when a prime PAC is having Marquez and Morales problems.

PAC beat Horn and Bradley and should never have had those losses on his record but that’s what happens when you’re under a cancer such as Bob arum.

Thread Information