Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AJ didn't quit, he was waiting for the ref to replace his gum-shield. Fact.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: AJ didn't quit, he was waiting for the ref to replace his gum-shield. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    As many fighters have said “when you start looking to your corner you’re asking out, all fighters know this” add that the ref repeatedly asked him to step forward and he didn’t means good stoppage. How long had it been, 20 seconds? I’ll go count and edit this

Edit-24 seconds before he waved it off, that’s a long time
    Many fighters have said that's nonsense too. One fighter looks at his corner for help another to signal they're fine.

It's utterly irrelevant counting seconds, boxing history is littered with "long counts," and the refs judgment influence the outcome every week.

Not sure if you're old enough to remember this epic, but Corrales has at least double the time Joshua has here.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: AJ didn't quit, he was waiting for the ref to replace his gum-shield. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    As many fighters have said “when you start looking to your corner you’re asking out, all fighters know this” add that the ref repeatedly asked him to step forward and he didn’t means good stoppage. How long had it been, 20 seconds? I’ll go count and edit this

Edit-24 seconds before he waved it off, that’s a long time
    Many fighters have said that's nonsense too. One fighter looks at his corner for help another to signal they're fine.

It's utterly irrelevant counting seconds, boxing history is littered with "long counts," and the refs judgment influence the outcome every week.

Not sure if you're old enough to remember this epic, but Corrales has at least double the time Joshua has here.

Yes, historically many fights have been messed up including your linked fight. You are supposed to be ready to fight after 10 seconds, not just off the mat. 24 seconds had passed and Joshua hadn’t proven to the 3rd man he was ready to fight. You know as well as anyone Joshua wanted out of that fight, whether he “quit” is up to interpretation. But what is clear is he wanted out. I’m in no way insulting the man, I’m just not going to say “he’s my countryman so I will excuse everything, he was simply waiting on the gum shield” because he wasn’t. How many people have said he seemed relieved afterwards including his own promoter? Why on earth would his own promoter say he was relieved if he was simply waiting on his gumshield? Answer is he wouldn’t be relieved, he would be upset because he would feel he had his titles stolen. Joshua doesn’t feel he had his titles stolen because he knows like I know and you know if you will look past biases that Joshua was done. The fight was over. Someone just needed to make it official. He looked for his corner to end it, they didn’t so he made sure the ref ended it by not giving the ref the indications he wanted to continue. Some call that quitting, the terminology is really irrelevant though. Joshua knows, Hearn knows, I know he wanted out of the fight. If you don’t know that you are just oblivious. I don’t think you are oblivious.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

“he’s my countryman so I will excuse everything, he was simply waiting on the gum shield”
    I haven't made a single excuse for his loss, you're the guy spinning the narrative when I haven't disputed the ref's decision or AJ's defeat? Why would you possibly need to count seconds?

He looked for his corner to end it, they didn’t so he made sure the ref ended it by not giving the ref the indications he wanted to continue.
    When the ref waved it off AJ wasn't looking at his corner he was staring directly at the ref following his directions. However, if it makes you feel better to believe he dogged it, fine. I was merely asking if anyone else wondered why the ref didn't replace the gum-shield? Many official reports don't even mention the shield coming out? One claimed the ref didn't pick it up when he clearly did.

Joshua doesn’t feel he had his titles stolen because he knows like I know and you know if you will look past biases that Joshua was done. The fight was over. Someone just needed to make it official.
    I have never once disputed that.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The ref is supposed to put the mouthpiece in when there it's a lull and that was a lull.

Did the ref have the piece in his hands or the corner?

I remember a few fights where a fighter was knocked down, piece out and the ref didn't count, while placing the guard back in.

One that comes too memory was Moored vs Cooper. After Bert got dropped, ref finished counting, Bert motioned to his mouth to which the ref got it in, but only after the count and they threw a few punches.

Did AJ motion to it?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is anyone surprised that nobody in his team brought up the gum-shield? He clearly spit it out and the ref clearly picked it up. He was clearly shocked when the ref waved it off, he immediately looked at his corner saying "what the fuck!"

Buster Ruiz duffed him up good and proper, good for him, and AJ didn't make an excuse, good for him, but surely his team should have mentioned it. The state AJ was in was hardly different to the Wlad fight, which he came back from after looking exhausted.
    True - I don’t believe he quit the moment that Andy hit him and he started doing that Zab Judah dance. I mean sure even Katie Taylor took her beating like a man but I don’t believe AJ quit.

But a side note - Haymon and Finkle have played an absolute blinder.

They've built Wilder off the back of all the above, to be fair he's jumped in with the best he could in Ortiz and Fury and also provided more devastating highlight reel KOs in between. Now Hearns empire is looking shaky at best and AJ is clearly going through some stuff.

It isn't excuses but the delay with AJ in his locker room ? With no cameras allowed in ? The fact his usual team weren't even in there with him ? And then they joined him by the arena entrance ? His behaviour before during fight ? A man built like Phil Heath comes out in the 1st round on his toes dancing like Ali ? And then AJ after the fight. I mean he was almost relived and glad he lost. Maybe afterwards he watched Ruiz Jr fk his girlfriend and then his dad wanting to fight Eddie Hearn ?

Something serious was going on in that camp.

Money has a strange way of depleting many fighters from the essential vitamins and minerals! Go check the story of how Tyson was conducting himself in Japan before the Douglas fight! Sad and Hilarious! He said his room looked like a scene from "Caligula!" Said he was eating Japanese women like grapes! Lol! I don't know what Joshua was doing, but the rumors are swirling!
    Last edited by Denilson-The-Comeback; 06-07-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Denilson-The-Comeback;1521086]
    I Go check the story of how Tyson was conducting himself in Japan before the Douglas fight! Sad and Hilarious! He said his room looked like a scene from "Caligula!" Said he was eating Japanese women like grapes! Lol! I don't know what Joshua was doing, but the rumors are swirling![/SIZE][/FONT]
    Ah, so he may haven broken the no stuff before fights rule!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information