Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should AJ change trainer?

Quickest way to know if you need a new trainer is to ask the trainer to assess what went wrong and listen to his answer. From the way it looks Joshua had no idea what hit him. He started thinking he would obviously control the distance due to power and reach. Ruiz literally had to just stand there really and wait for Joshua to tee off and then punch with him. Ruiz got the worst of the first one and the best of the second. After that Ruiz knew he had it if he just kept punching. This may always be in Joshua's head no matter when the rematch is. The question is whether Joshua is willing to face his demon and do what he needs to do. Train focused and fight mercilessly like he believes something was taken from him that he wasn't done with yet. Ive see him do interviews about giving back to the youth and etc. sounding like he already planned his exit. He's a nice guy that you hope everything works out for in life... but this is boxing and while you're on the clock its either you or the other guy. Joshua has to be willing to pump that jab into Ruiz's melon till its pulp, Throw his hook after his jab and cross to catch Ruiz jumping in. On the inside tie up Ruiz and work the body and lean on him....convince Ruiz its only going to be worse for him if he gets up.

Right now i don't see it. If he doesn't find it, he'll make Ruiz look like tyson or tua next time around.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Povetkin was the closest to Ruiz stylewise and he broke AJs nose, wobbled him and won the opening 4 rounds.
    Povetkin was a cheat.

An old, out of prime cheat.

Ban him, Ortiz and Miller for life.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

Right now i don't see it. If he doesn't find it, he'll make Ruiz look like tyson or tua next time around.
    Tua was who I had in mind when Ruiz was throwing in bunches at the final knockdown.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Povetkin was the closest to Ruiz stylewise and he broke AJs nose, wobbled him and won the opening 4 rounds.
    Povetkin was a cheat.

An old, out of prime cheat.

Ban him, Ortiz and Miller for life.
    The point is that AJ came back to beat Povetkin but was unable to against Ruiz who I would say is not as good as Povetkin that night. AJ was not the same fighter, it was Frank Bruno.
    Last edited by Master; 06-05-2019 at 10:16 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The point is AJ struggles with fighters with fast hands

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wonder who does Lennox think can handle such a task.

I read that two years ago Floyd welcomed AJ to train at his spot. Lennox got Steward about 4 years in the game whereas AJ is 6 years into his style.

If he can avoid Shots to the head, maybe next time out is different.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watching the fight, and its apparent between rounds that McCracken is telling AJ exactly what he needs to do to win the fight.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearn stated yesterday that AJ didn't remember any of the 3rd round. If Ruiz can hurt him like that, just stay away from the one handed bomber. That may lead to total memory loss.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone think George Foreman is that trainer?

I've never heard GF mention himself as a coach, but to hear it today was pretty interesting.

That's something how trainers like Roy Jones, Pernell did awful jobs, then average boxers like Freddie Roach, Manny Steward went on to become everything as a trainer that they were never as boxers. So maybe George can correct AJ without changing AJ.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Anyone think George Foreman is that trainer?

I've never heard GF mention himself as a coach, but to hear it today was pretty interesting.

That's something how trainers like Roy Jones, Pernell did awful jobs, then average boxers like Freddie Roach, Manny Steward went on to become everything as a trainer that they were never as boxers. So maybe George can correct AJ without changing AJ.
    Robert McCracken is the best trainer for AJ to win against Ruiz.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone knows better now. I'm already sick of hearing what AJ should do or should not do.

Wait for the rematch, let him get the KO and shut up.

Ruiz is just a tourist to those belts. He got lucky, didn't deserve a title shot, didn't against Parker, although he fought well and might have edged it out and definitely didn't deserve the fight with AJ. But he took advantage of it and got the W.

As for AJ ?

• He has to be taught to fight big and tall.
    • He has to be taught to use his ramrod jab.
    • He has to be taught to punish his opponents with right inside uppercuts.
    • He has to be taught to learn to clinch and use weight size strength.

AJ's stamina isn't as bad as ppl think. The Klitschko's had that "empty tank" look too, always had to open their mouths open, always looked tired. Joshua breathing heavily doesn't mean he's done. He's a really big guy and with those muscles, you need to breathe heavy to get enough oxygen in.

His trainer (Rob McCracken) got the Amateur GB gig then stayed on with AJ. His only real experience of note before that was training Carl Froch. And let's be honest, Froch had to rely on having a granite chin. Froch was slow, flat-footed and quite predictable and couldn't box very well.

I've no idea who could do a better job for AJ. There are no names who immediately jump out. There's Adam Booth who has a great boxing brain and IQ but he's a bit weird and he is already invested in a bunch of fighters and just took Joe Joyce on.

Ruiz totally negated AJ's jab and McCracken was screaming at AJ to keep doing the same 1-2, and to keep him long. It wasn't working. At some point you have to switch it up. More right hand leads, more 2-3 combinations to the body and head, etc... Whatever he was doing wasn't working... Switch it up...

A new trainer I think can make him better in there to utilize his strengths better with some dirty tactic stuff he could probably use, but I don't expect him to start moving his head if he isn't at this point in the game. In any case I think its fair to say he's maxed out with McCracken.

But whoever is in AJ's corner next time things will be completely different. When I head Andy Ruiz say "mom we don't have to struggle no more" I knew he'll have a hard time defending those titles. He's not even Buster Douglas. AJ also isn't Tyson.

Ruiz looks to me like one of those impatient fighters that needs something dramatic to happen in his fights otherwise he loses interest and gets disheartened. Joshua needs to box intelligently and he'll take Ruiz out without any doubt. The shot that dropped Ruiz wasn't even close to AJ's best punch. If anything it showed AJ can hurt him EASILY.

The only reason AJ lost that fight is because he tried to finish Ruiz, opened up recklessly and Ruiz hit him with two good left hooks.

The fight should have been over in the third round. Ruiz even allowed AJ to hang in there, survive for a few more rounds when he was badly hurt and didn't even want to fight anymore. Why? Because Ruiz isn't really that good. He couldn't even really hurt zombie Liakhovich. Again, Ruiz is very likable but not an elite boxer. He just isn't. He was irrelevant before the fight and he'll be irrelevant after the rematch, most likely. That's just how it is, nothing against him, very nice guy, very good kid. Not a long time heavyweight champ.

"anything can happen, it's heavyweight boxing" blablabla, most overused phrase in the sport? In sport in general? Yeah, upsets happen every now and then, it just happened, calm down, take a seat, watch the rematch, world keeps turning.
    Last edited by Denilson-The-Comeback; 06-09-2019 at 04:47 AM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson-The-Comeback View Post
    Everyone knows better now. I'm already sick of hearing what AJ should do or should not do.

Wait for the rematch, let him get the KO and shut up.

Ruiz is just a tourist to those belts. He got lucky, didn't deserve a title shot, didn't against Parker, although he fought well and might have edged it out and definitely didn't deserve the fight with AJ. But he took advantage of it and got the W.

As for AJ ?

• He has to be taught to fight big and tall.
    • He has to be taught to use his ramrod jab.
    • He has to be taught to punish his opponents with right inside uppercuts.
    • He has to be taught to learn to clinch and use weight size strength.

AJ's stamina isn't as bad as ppl think. The Klitschko's had that "empty tank" look too, always had to open their mouths open, always looked tired. Joshua breathing heavily doesn't mean he's done. He's a really big guy and with those muscles, you need to breathe heavy to get enough oxygen in.

His trainer (Rob McCracken) got the Amateur GB gig then stayed on with AJ. His only real experience of note before that was training Carl Froch. And let's be honest, Froch had to rely on having a granite chin. Froch was slow, flat-footed and quite predictable and couldn't box very well.

I've no idea who could do a better job for AJ. There are no names who immediately jump out. There's Adam Booth who has a great boxing brain and IQ but he's a bit weird and he is already invested in a bunch of fighters and just took Joe Joyce on.

Ruiz totally negated AJ's jab and McCracken was screaming at AJ to keep doing the same 1-2, and to keep him long. It wasn't working. At some point you have to switch it up. More right hand leads, more 2-3 combinations to the body and head, etc... Whatever he was doing wasn't working... Switch it up...

A new trainer I think can make him better in there to utilize his strengths better with some dirty tactic stuff he could probably use, but I don't expect him to start moving his head if he isn't at this point in the game. In any case I think its fair to say he's maxed out with McCracken.

But whoever is in AJ's corner next time things will be completely different. When I head Andy Ruiz say "mom we don't have to struggle no more" I knew he'll have a hard time defending those titles. He's not even Buster Douglas. AJ also isn't Tyson.

Ruiz looks to me like one of those impatient fighters that needs something dramatic to happen in his fights otherwise he loses interest and gets disheartened. Joshua needs to box intelligently and he'll take Ruiz out without any doubt. The shot that dropped Ruiz wasn't even close to AJ's best punch. If anything it showed AJ can hurt him EASILY.

The only reason AJ lost that fight is because he tried to finish Ruiz, opened up recklessly and Ruiz hit him with two good left hooks.

The fight should have been over in the third round. Ruiz even allowed AJ to hang in there, survive for a few more rounds when he was badly hurt and didn't even want to fight anymore. Why? Because Ruiz isn't really that good. He couldn't even really hurt zombie Liakhovich. Again, Ruiz is very likable but not an elite boxer. He just isn't. He was irrelevant before the fight and he'll be irrelevant after the rematch, most likely. That's just how it is, nothing against him, very nice guy, very good kid. Not a long time heavyweight champ.

"anything can happen, it's heavyweight boxing" blablabla, most overused phrase in the sport? In sport in general? Yeah, upsets happen every now and then, it just happened, calm down, take a seat, watch the rematch, world keeps turning.

What do you think of George Foreman putting himself in the mix as a trainer?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can not remember George training anyone?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He hasn't nor ever talked about it...UNTIL AJ lost. There are a few Utube clips when him offering his services to AJ.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He hasn't nor ever talked about it...UNTIL AJ lost. There are a few Utube clips when him offering his services to AJ.
    I think it is just ego, trying to get attention and easy money because the game plan is relatively simple. If AJ can execute it properly he wins. It needs someone to get into the head of AJ and make him believe he can win because that will be his biggest barrier, himself. It needs a Cus Dmato.

Thread Information