Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ruiz v Joshua 2 confirmed - rematch clause triggered - Nov/Dec

I can't get away from thinking Joshua has to make a bit of an ugly fight if he hopes to win. Working the jab maintain distance and lean on push back everywhere in between. I just don't think he has the footwork and mobility to negate the pace and combination punching of Ruiz. Tying up Ruiz will prove more difficult than imagined as Ruiz is a sound inside mixer who shortens them up pretty well with chopping hooks. The AJ jab was actually on in the 1st round but while Andy had a varying rhythm Joshua showed 1 gear with no adaptability. He will very much have to punch with Ruiz as he knows once he commits to the jab not following through will see him hit thrice for his troubles. Basically Joshua is just not a fluid fighter who can max speed of foot and hand with Ruiz. He'll have to force the fight sooner than later and in between Ruiz knows he can counter him under the jab or pulling out where the left caught him repeatedly.

There's a massive mental make up factor for both going in now. Just as Joshua will have to temper himself and hope that he doesn't see panic ghosts once Ruiz lands some of the same shots, this is a career reset and start for Ruiz too. Will he come crashing down to Earth off of this new momentum and stardom he fell into and come in self diluted. He doesn't come off like a guy who loses sight of reality but attitude and pressure to prove it again may catch up as the rematch nears. Wouldn't be surprised to see some people now saying Joshua will lose and he's toast gradually come around when the initial shock where's off. Personally I see Ruiz getting him again with rigid stamina and lack of fluid pins being a big factor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz is no bum, don't judge a fighter by his physique...he is a very good fighter. I think we might see the same result in a rematch!

El Kabong Guest

I look at guys who were "shooting stars" and I look at the "tried and tested who lasted longest" and I look at their styles and there are typically glaring differences when it comes to attention paid to attack vs defense as well as cageyness/strategy. Defense, strategy, fighting smarter not harder those things are good for longevity the opposite are good for the fans and I think if you're someone like AJ or right now if you're like Wilder you should pick and choose when you want to stand and deliver and when you want to "be the better boxer" nobody is saying you can't have both but I'm saying for the long term smarter is better. So perhaps AJ's brawling style he used vs Ruiz doesn't work on Ruiz so next time he boxes him and then if say AJ were to fight Pulev perhaps he could/should brawl vs him and it would work but I am of the belief fighters at the tippy top of their game should pick their battles as the time at the top of the mountain is fleeting.

Wlad, Lennox, B-Hop, Floyd, Evander, Ali, Holmes, Pep, Tunney, Robinson, Jack Johnson guys who are cagey last in this sport guys who are 100% attack don't some of those guys have long runs, but most of them fade quickly.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The more we get these opinions of the toll it takes on AJ and what hes going to need to rectify this, the more I think the answer for the new trainer question starts to become a resounding yes. This is a massive undertaking and they need to start now... Not training but at least mental part and the teaching. Trade in the heavy weights for lighter weights more reps and interval training. Are there any high altitudes training environments across the pond. They're going to need to tear him down to build him back up. He's got fundamentals but this is going to need to be rewired and probably somehere along the way ask himself if he wants to lose that much of himself that he may never get back. It can change a persons attitude and perspective.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This really does show just how shit the heavies are right now.

All Joshua needs is a good quick and strong jab followed by the occasional right. None of that limp pawing crap he threw in the first fight.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like it is back in the USA as Hearn doesn't want to get caught up in the 50 mil to fight in UK. Not after the back n forth with Wilder over $.

Pick em fight. Considering that AJ's greatest issue wasn't fundamentals, chin or stamina, rather his inability to deal with those shots to his dome. One can't work on D to protect their skull. Those shots shouldn't have had such a dramatic impact.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Sounds like it is back in the USA as Hearn doesn't want to get caught up in the 50 mil to fight in UK. Not after the back n forth with Wilder over $.

Pick em fight. Considering that AJ's greatest issue wasn't fundamentals, chin or stamina, rather his inability to deal with those shots to his dome. One can't work on D to protect their skull. Those shots shouldn't have had such a dramatic impact.
    I know, the way AJ wilted after that punch was very surprising. He has been wobbled in the past but recovers quite quickly but this time he remained hurt and vulnerable.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information