Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Losses That Didn't Deter You

Paul Williams kept my respect after his first loss

Admired both Quintana & Williams when they fought, but was blown away at how Carlos didn't run, traded when he had to, got underneath shots and kinda schooled Paul Williams.

It seemed Williams was outed or exposed. For some reason his loss didn't come across as the end and proved it in the rematch, by just taking the fight to Carlos and blasted him up off his feet in the air to the canvas.

William questionable win over Martinez didn't phase me, I figured he was the bring it kind of guy who had certain styles that he couldn't overcome. Martinez was that guy who did to Paul, what Paul did to Carlos, rematch with an explosive KO.

As a kid, when I heard the next day that Ray Leonard lost the belt he just won to some guy named Duran who had been fighting since before I was born, I remember a lot of adults, couldn't wait for the rematch. it was as if tey didn't think Ray was exposed, rather he lost and could adjust next time out. And he did.
    Ray lost his title in his 2nd defense, but went on to become one of the best fighters of his era. Some say an ATG.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Losses That Didn't Deter You

Normally fighters that already have losses early in their career, and then lose you still have confidence that they will come back. Bernard Hopkins is a good example of that but fighters like Dennis Andries, Jonny Nelson, and Glenn Johnson.

Froch was another because he was in that competition and fresh to go through these wars.

Degale because it was early in his career.

My favourite was Mike McCallum, he said everyone deserted him after he lost to Kalambay. He came back even stronger.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With today's fans, I think Joe Louis losing to Max, would've brought out the naysayers and we told U so crowd. But Americans white and black back then had faith in the Brown Bomber.

I didn't want to give up on Calvin Brock or Maclom Tann, but they gave up on me. Well Brock did after losing just a 2nd fight to Chambers he just stopped boxing.

Whereas Tann tried to bounce back after losing to a novice in a guy name Jenkins. He had a string of wins that brought him to Arreola who beat him like a pinata. Dimentrenko did it next.

When I watched Zab's last fight, I shouldn't have been so suprised to see how many people were still rooting for him. Their Zab is my Chazz aka Chazz Witherspoon. Meeting him & hanging out with him, I just couldn't go against him & even though he still fighting ..back as undercards, I find myself still rooting for him out in the open. Past or not I still back him, but its not so much based on logic as it is personal.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good topic. I guess you'd have to add Ali in there. After losing the biggest fight in history (at that time) to Joe Frazier, he wasn't deterred and came back to have one of the greatest heavyweight careers in boxing history, including two wins over Frazier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Danny Garcia comes to mind

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Good topic. I guess you'd have to add Ali in there. After losing the biggest fight in history (at that time) to Joe Frazier, he wasn't deterred and came back to have one of the greatest heavyweight careers in boxing history, including two wins over Frazier.
    I wasn't around at the time but I think losing to Norton with that broken jaw would have made even his most ardent fans think Ali was coming to the end of his career but he went on and the rest is history.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Zelenoff's loss to kid thunder was a shock .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post
    Danny Garcia comes to mind
    Wooah blast from the past. Who are you . Good one, didn't like the tip toeing to 147 by Danny but remains Thurmans signature in battle of undefeated. Gotta put Porter right with him I spose.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    With today's fans, I think Joe Louis losing to Max, would've brought out the naysayers and we told U so crowd. But Americans white and black back then had faith in the Brown Bomber.

I didn't want to give up on Calvin Brock or Maclom Tann, but they gave up on me. Well Brock did after losing just a 2nd fight to Chambers he just stopped boxing.

Whereas Tann tried to bounce back after losing to a novice in a guy name Jenkins. He had a string of wins that brought him to Arreola who beat him like a pinata. Dimentrenko did it next.

When I watched Zab's last fight, I shouldn't have been so suprised to see how many people were still rooting for him. Their Zab is my Chazz aka Chazz Witherspoon. Meeting him & hanging out with him, I just couldn't go against him & even though he still fighting ..back as undercards, I find myself still rooting for him out in the open. Past or not I still back him, but its not so much based on logic as it is personal.
    Calvin Brock wasn't the flashiest guy out there but he was a good boxer. He got beat by the bigger better boxer in Wlad and hell Cal gave him some tough rounds too no shame in that. I think after that bout he was dinged up (that was a bitch of a KO...when you fall face first that's bad news) and he either didn't have the heart for boxing at that level or he just had a college degree and a good job and a hell of a payday and walked off into the sunset.

Malcom Tann...what a disappointment.

This is a really great question to ask on a thread because typically losses expose weaknesses whether by KO or decision, but sometimes a fighter unjustly loses or perhaps they overlook an opponent and the shit hits the fan.

Vitali's loss to Chris Byrd is a loss, and people really raked him over the coals for that one but an injury like that vs a very good heavyweight isn't an easy thing to shake off.

Chris Byrd's loss to Ibeabuchi was an impressive KO, but the dude showed a massive chin and great skill prior to that.

Bernard Hopkins' losses to Taylor weren't about skill so much as they were about age and making weight

Felix Sturm's "loss" to De la Hoya wasn't a loss....if anything he suffered because he looked so good in that fight. He never capitalized on his good showing though.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 06-11-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    I'm not on here much but have been here awhile and pretty sure one of the only ones that know what you are talking about.
    I remember Charlie's first post as a kid being 'a monster for his weight.'

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Calvin Brock wasn't the flashiest guy out there but he was a good boxer. He got beat by the bigger better boxer in Wlad and hell Cal gave him some tough rounds too no shame in that. I think after that bout he was dinged up (that was a bitch of a KO...when you fall face first that's bad news) and he either didn't have the heart for boxing at that level or he just had a college degree and a good job and a hell of a payday and walked off into the sunset.

Malcom Tann...what a disappointment.

This is a really great question to ask on a thread because typically losses expose weaknesses whether by KO or decision, but sometimes a fighter unjustly loses or perhaps they overlook an opponent and the shit hits the fan.

Vitali's loss to Chris Byrd is a loss, and people really raked him over the coals for that one but an injury like that vs a very good heavyweight isn't an easy thing to shake off.

Chris Byrd's loss to Ibeabuchi was an impressive KO, but the dude showed a massive chin and great skill prior to that.

Bernard Hopkins' losses to Taylor weren't about skill so much as they were about age and making weight

Felix Sturm's "loss" to De la Hoya wasn't a loss....if anything he suffered because he looked so good in that fight. He never capitalized on his good showing though.

Probably one of Wlad's best kos was Brock. Yikes, it was a doozie! & Sturm's decision loss had it been a win, then there's no DLH-Bhop. I agree no shame in that -predetermined loss.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frasd View Post
    I'm not on here much but have been here awhile and pretty sure one of the only ones that know what you are talking about.

Yup! Have no clue, so i just Ubtubed Zelenoff & when I put kid thunder Hartley came up. PLEASE O PLEASE! Tell me this isn't the fight you're referring to.

I can't stop laughing at this. Has to rank for me top 5 funniest fights ever. Dude spit his mouthpiece in the 1st round 3 times!

Both guys are running track while throwing 3 stooges styled punches. Brockton would've replied bwahaahwahaaaaa!!!
    And when that Zelenoff dude got his body knocked 1/2 way under one rope and over another ...at the same time?! Is all I can say for Zelenoff.

https://youtu.be/9Wc_9_fjjnw

anybody got 5 minutes to laugh? This is stupidly funny.
    Sorry no offense, but this vid made my night at work complete. I said DAMN!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hot damn watched it again! His corner puts his mouthpiece in, he takes one step and spit it out again.

All the while Eye of the tiger is playing in the background in a friggin gymnasium. This is comedy gold at its finest!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frasd View Post

Yup! Have no clue, so i just Ubtubed Zelenoff & when I put kid thunder Hartley came up. PLEASE O PLEASE! Tell me this isn't the fight you're referring to.

I can't stop laughing at this. Has to rank for me top 5 funniest fights ever. Dude spit his mouthpiece in the 1st round 3 times!

Both guys are running track while throwing 3 stooges styled punches. Brockton would've replied bwahaahwahaaaaa!!!
    And when that Zelenoff dude got his body knocked 1/2 way under one rope and over another ...at the same time?! Is all I can say for Zelenoff.

https://youtu.be/9Wc_9_fjjnw

anybody got 5 minutes to laugh? This is stupidly funny.
    Sorry no offense, but this vid made my night at work complete. I said DAMN!
    I believe there was a regular poster named Trainer Monkey who wanted train Kid Thunder. Guessing the Dark lord might remember.
    This was years before Charlie got semi-famous on the youtube circuit challenging Wilder, Floyd senior etc. Quite an arsehole as they say in my neck of the woods but actually think he has mental issues. If he didn't he should have now after Wilder smacking him around. But he was just a delusional kid when he first started posting. It's gone to a new level at this point.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​Most recently, the most inconsequential loss for ages that nobody was bothered about at all .... was Vasyl Lomachenko losing narrowly to Orlando Salida.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information