Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Best size of gloves for heavy bag work?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Best size of gloves for heavy bag work?

In the gym where I train, 95% of all the pros (and there are several of them) use 8oz gloves for training (focus mitt, heavy bag) and of course heavier 16oz gloves for sparring. Now I hurt my wrist throwing a hard punch with a relaxed wrist (I was tired) and it's really bothering me. I'm thinking about using a wrist wrap underneath my regular bandages plus switching to maybe 12 oz gloves for heavy bag work.

My question is, would working with heavier gloves put your timing off when you finally switch to 8oz for a fight? I hear it's actually good (to use big gloves) as it developes endurance and power, but if that is so why doesn't anyone in my gym use them?

I'm also considering buying a pair of Cleto reyes, known for their long cuff (and better wrist protection), but dont wanna fork out 100$ for a pair of 12oz and then find them to heavy or cumbersome to train with.

Any feedback is appreciated, on both gloves size and how to care for my sprained wrist. Many thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best size of gloves for heavy bag work?

I use to be the same way, I used little 8 oz gloves that came with my heavy bag. But after a while my wrists and knuckles started hurting, so I went and bought a pair of 14 oz gloves that I now use with the heavy bag. For me, there was a huge difference when I first started using them, I noticed me dropping my hands and my shoulders would start getting sore so much faster than usual. Now I am use to them of course but it most definitely builds endurance/stamina. The 14 oz gloves also help prevent my wrist/knuckles from hurting too, unlike the little 8 oz. gloves did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I sent this same question to a boxing trainer and here's what he had to say...

Hi Hungrytiger,

Sounds like you are smart cookie....you almost answered the question yourself, definately on target.

I am a little surprised those guys are using 8oz. gloves. It's actually not even allowed in my gym for the very reason you mentioned. It is very easy to bruise your knuckles not to mention increase the risk of rolling over your wrist. A hand is a hand, whether it's the hand of a pro or an amateur, they both bruise and they both are suseptable to the same injuries. I recommend 14oz. for heavybag, uppercut bag and handpads... 16oz. for sparring....the only consideration for 10 or 8 oz would be the double-end bag...

If your not already doing this, take a piece of foam and place it across your knuckles and wrap your handwraps over the top normally. Sounds like you have sprained the tendons on your wrist, very common, and if it really hurts you need to lay off of any contact with that hand for week, if you don't it will take forever to heal...there is a silver lining to this injury, it forces you to polish up your punches in your other hand....(don't even wrap that hand or glove it, if you do, you will inadvertantly use it thru habit).

Heavier gloves will not hurt your timing...that theory is way over-blown.... the heavier gloves give you a better workout, they protect your hands, and when you finally switch over to fight gloves you feel fast as hell....why aren't these guys using them in the gym? they should be...I dont know what their thinking.. every gym I've been in don't even have 8 or 10oz out on the glove table...(but they probably have bought there own stuff)... there is a misconception out there on those gloves, everlast used to market their small lightweight gloves as "pro gloves" (they used to have this metal bar in the middle you gripped when you made a fist)...guys used to think it meant "pro boxer", but it was just a marketing gimmeck to make the gloves sound cool..but guys ate it up (and still do), some companies still use the selling point... also, pros want to feel fast when they train so that could be a factor... I don't feel there's any benefit... plus if my fighter had a big fight coming up and he was hitting the heavybag with 12's and rolled his wrist over, the fight is cancelled, all because of something as silly as wearing the wrong gloves....I wouldnt allow it, for his own sake.

As far as makes of gloves...I would love to tell you the $100 gloves aren't worth it, but I can't ..ha... I use "grant" which are designed just like the reyes and love them... yes, you do get extra support in the wrist, and that extra wrist support is because that part of the glove is stiffer and longer... you will be surprised as to how light they are, remember, there is more weight in the wrist area of these gloves so a 14oz. reyes or grant will feel lighter than a regular 14oz glove... I have 16oz and they feel like 14's... I hated shelling out the dough but if you take care of them, you'll have them forever....

I hope i got to all of your questions and feel free to come back anytime. Good Luck.....and take care of that wrist first thing...

later, jack www.heavyweightcontender.com

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was sure I typed a similar response to this very post, mustn't have posted. I use 160zs on the bag... the extra weight gives you a much better work out and protects your hands better. My punches did feel off for a session or two but I soon got used to them.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I beg to differ with the general direction of this thread; let me explain why.
    Way back when Ringside first introduced their 12oz bag gloves I bought a pair and they were the best gloves I've ever used. You could make a good tight fist in them and the long wrist cuff gave added support to the wrist. When I wore them out I bought another pair of the same and they were slightly different but still good gloves. Recently I bought a third pair (this being 2 years ago,now) and they are crap. The new and improved attached thumb makes it impossibleto make a fist or to throw a punch properly. Given the odd angles dictated by the claw instead of a fist in the glove, wrist problems became inevitable so I threw them out. At the gym where I worked at the time I experimented with a variety of gloves, tendingtowards the 12oz and above thinking to protect my now sore hands.
    I ended up with a pair of Everlast bag gloves, straight off the shelf and I love them because I can make a fist. That is the most vitalthing in keeping your hands sound: make a tight fist. Keeping your wrist straight is technique and strength of wrist and forearm. Do the approriate exercises.
    How you wrap your hands matters more than the glove, I think. You want to be sure and do two things with the wrap: support and strengthen the wrist and keep tight the myriad small bones in the hand. Wrapping too much around and across the face of the fist-padding the knuckles- is counterproductive as the more times you cross the palm the less tight a fist you can make. The padding is in the glove and that won't do much good if your hand is only loosely clenched. The wrist band of the glove is no substitute for a good wrap and good technique. Make a tight fist and do the work to stengthen wrist and forearm and you don't need bag gloves; loose hands and wists and the gloves don't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

14 or 16 oz is good for the bag, it helps build stamina and strength so your hands fly when you put the 10oz contest gloves

Thread Information