Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why was Nigel Benn such a quitter against Collins?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why was Nigel Benn such a quitter against Collins?

Benn had much better skills than Collins could ever dream about, but how come Benn both times they fought quitted?

Was Benn just a quitter or was he afraid of Collins; power, chin, determination and heart?

What do you think made Benn one of histories biggest quitters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why was Nigel Benn such a quitter against Collins?

Benn was thinking of retiring post McClellan.

He could get away with that attitude with a Vincenzo Nardiello or Danny Perez, but against 'Sugarboy' Malinga or Steve Collins, the most brutal sport found out its man.

Benn respected the sport post Watson, big time, up to the McClellan, then he lost his edge, thus you have the Collins fights.

I have little time for Steve Collins, but I do respect him, as he does respect the sport, he knew when to call it a day, even though it cost a big pay day against Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by New Wind
    Benn had much better skills than Collins could ever dream about, but how come Benn both times they fought quitted?

Was Benn just a quitter or was he afraid of Collins; power, chin, determination and heart?

i guess you haven't witnessed the first fight, Nigel was physically unable to fight due to a bady sprained ankle

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn quit against Collins cuz he was knackered and knew it was his last fight . Collins quit agaisnt Calzaghe too but that was before the 1st bell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn quit.

He just took the 2 Collins fights for the money.

Still a great fighter, but he knew he was through and didnt want to take the pain.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i was there that night for Benn Collins II and was pretty pissed off like the rest of the crowd that such a great and exciting fighter like Benn was bowing out on his stool. He should never have took the fight and should have treated the Nardiello fight as a farewell.

Was not a big Collins fan but to his credit he took the mic and defended Nigel after the bout - admitting that Benn wasn't the fighter of 2 years before.

At their peaks I think Nigel would have won late on - would have been a cracker thats for sure
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn one of histories biggest quitters!!! Don't be daft! Try taking a closer look over his career i.e. Logan, Eubank, McClellan etc etc etc.
    The fact of the matter is Benn should have quit the game after the McClellan fight but as is the case with many other fighters that fight made him think he could go on longer than he should have done and of course money is always a strong motivation.
    Benn hurt his ankle in the 1st Collins fight and should have forgotten about a re-match but his pride got the better of him. To call Benn a quitter is completely wide of the mark and of-course he was reknowned for how dangerous he was when in danger himself which is not something you'd associate with a quitter! Benn would've beaten the likes of Collins and Malinga at his best IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CopeAli

Benn one of histories biggest quitters!!! Don't be daft! Try taking a closer look over his career i.e. Logan, Eubank, McClellan etc etc etc.
    The fact of the matter is Benn should have quit the game after the McClellan fight but as is the case with many other fighters that fight made him think he could go on longer than he should have done and of course money is always a strong motivation.
    Benn hurt his ankle in the 1st Collins fight and should have forgotten about a re-match but his pride got the better of him. To call Benn a quitter is completely wide of the mark and of-course he was reknowned for how dangerous he was when in danger himself which is not something you'd associate with a quitter! Benn would've beaten the likes of Collins and Malinga at his best IMO.
    he did beat Malinga, 5 years prior

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    Quote Originally Posted by CopeAli

Quite right, i've just read that back. My apologies. I meant Collins... Benn would beat Collins 9 times out of 10 at his best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid

He could get away with that attitude with a Vincenzo Nardiello or Danny Perez, but against 'Sugarboy' Malinga or Steve Collins, the most brutal sport found out its man.

Benn respected the sport post Watson, big time, up to the McClellan, then he lost his edge, thus you have the Collins fights.

I have little time for Steve Collins, but I do respect him, as he does respect the sport, he knew when to call it a day, even though it cost a big pay day against Calzaghe.

Im sick of you brits putting down Steve Collins.
    He was one of the toughest men in the sport and never could be stopped.

Benn quit because he culdnt break him up and was comign to the end of his career.
    Eubank couldnt handle his style either

he beat both of them twice and dont come back to me with the above being shot or too old.
    Eubank was younger than Collins and Benn was the same age.

Collins last fight was against an amercian journey man called craig cummins. He said after this that he wanted one big pay / big fight against Roy jones then he would call it a day. At this time Collins was struggling to motivate himself and only wanted one last fight

He didnt fight calzaghe because Joe was nothing back then and a small pay day.
    Dont give me the bullshit that he quit. How could a man fight both Benn and eubank twice plus the one and only Mike Mccallum and be afraid of young Joe Calazaghe.
    Your being biased towards Birtish boxers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB

Im sick of you brits putting down Steve Collins.
    He was one of the toughest men in the sport and never could be stopped.

Benn quit because he culdnt break him up and was comign to the end of his career.
    Eubank couldnt handle his style either

he beat both of them twice and dont come back to me with the above being shot or too old.

Collins last fight was against an amercian journey man called craig cummins. He said after this that he wanted one big pay / big fight against Roy jones then he would call it a day. At this time Collins was struggling to motivate himself and only wanted one last fight

He didnt fight calzaghe because Joe was nothing back then and a small pay day.
    Dont give me the bullshit that he quit. How could a man fight both Benn and eubank twice plus the one and only Mike Mccallum and be afraid of young Joe Calazaghe.
    Your being biased towards Birtish boxers
    I agree with some of your points here, and Collins didn't fear anyone. But in my honest opinion both Benn and Eubank were past their best when they fought Steve Collins which is something that you surely recognise.. Age has nothing to do with it.
    Put another way, the Benn that beat McClellan would've Beaten Collins and the Eubank that beat Benn would've beaten Collins IMO.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB

he beat both of them twice and dont come back to me with the above being shot

Being shot has nothing to do with age!!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn was way past his best BUT the question wasid he quit in the 2nd fight ?
    And the answer is yes, hed admit it as well, it doesnt tarnish his career, BUT if Audley did the same thing hhmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    LOL, the ref was the only one who fought he had; that was the night the 'Anything EU can do' tour, crashed and burned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah, heard it was a close fight

Thread Information