Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Castillo-Corrales3: "War to Settle the Score" on June 3rd.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Castillo-Corrales3: "War to Settle the Score" on June 3rd.

http://www.maxboxing.com/Kim/Kim041206.asp

We must all be sadists.

After all, it was Joe Goossen's contention that anybody that wanted to see a rematch of Diego Corrales’ thrilling come-off-the-canvas (twice) victory against Jose Luis Castillo last May, had to be 'sadistic'.

But on June 3rd at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas, Castillo-Corrales III will be taking place on Showtime. Last October, Castillo would exact revenge on 'Chico' by stopping him with a lethal left hook in the fourth round. The rubbermatch was supposed to take place this past February in El Paso, Texas, before Corrales suffered a rib injury during training camp.

With the pullout, Castillo would then engage in a 12-round laugher against Rolando Reyes. For Corrales, this will be his third consecutive bout against Castillo.

Aren't they sick of seeing each other so often?

"Not really, I mean we can do it a couple more times," said Corrales with a laugh. "Honestly, it's not really what I'm sick of seeing, it's who is not wanting to see us do it again? That's really the problem."

Castillo, chuckled as he was asked the same question.

"I'm not tired of seeing him so much. I just want to fight him and get it over with."

There's little doubt that this trilogy will placed in the same echelon as Ali-Frazier, Bowe-Holyfield and Barrera-Morales. But those trilogies were played out over a series of years. Why is Castillo-Corrales basically coming back-to-back-to-back for both boxers?

"Because there were contractual provisions after the second fight that provided that if Castillo won, they could demand an immediate rematch without any intervening fights and that's what they did, and of course Corrales was injured, so we took an interim fight for Castillo with their consent. But it was contractual, otherwise it would have been spread out," explained Bob Arum, who promotes Castillo.

And so this series is being played out in much the same way as Gatti-Ward, but as Corrales' promoter, Gary Shaw, points out, these guys here are 'A-fighters'.

While the first clash was marred by a controversy over Corrales' purposely dislodged mouthpiece, the rematch was spoiled by Castillo's inability (or was it unwillingness?) to make the 135-pound weight limit. Castillo weighed in at 138 - and that was with some
    shenanigans with the scales from his camp - and never made much of an effort to get down.

But with his original trainer back in the fold and enough time to prepare, Castillo says he will be a legitimate lightweight the day of the weigh-in.

"We're very confident that we can do it," said Castillo through Top Rank publicist Ricardo Jimenez. "We're going to have a real good diet, work real hard and I'm sure we can do 135 one more time."

But for Corrales’ trainer, seeing is believing.

"I'm not too excited about it because I'm not too sure it can happen," said Goossen, about the possibility of fighting a lightweight this time around. "I would be amazed if it doesn't happen, but I don't think this is a cakewalk for him making this weight. He couldn't do it in October and it was the second fight, which was a more anticipated fight, and they sold 20,000 seats. It was a major pay-per-view event and you come four-to-five pounds overweight? And don't even try to make the weight?

"I don't know, but what incentive does he have this time around, besides maybe a threat?"

Okay, but let's say that once again Castillo tips the scales north of 135, then what?

"He's going to make weight," insisted Corrales, perhaps believing he can will his foe to 135. "He will make weight. I don't care if I have to beg the commission to give him some more time. He's going to make the weight. I don't care if we have to jog together, he's going to make weight."

As for Corrales, his rib injury - which caused his February pullout - had a silver lining: rest. Well, as much rest as you're going to get with a newborn daughter, but time away from the gym nonetheless.

"I came into camp so revived, so rejuvenated," Corrales told Maxboxing. "And I'm not so sure if it was the fact we had the baby and everything's cleared up or the break, but whatever it is, I came back to camp feeling good, 100-percent ready to go."

When these two get together in the same ring, you're assured of a memorable dust-up. But can we get a bout with no controversy?

"I'm hoping that there will be no controversy," said Castillo, who, if he should come out victorious, could be facing Miguel Cotto in the fall. "We had a couple of controversial fights, and hopefully we'll have no controversy so we don't have to do a fourth fight so
    people won’t start talking about a 'Rocky' series."

But then he would add, "What if we had a draw?"

Well, that's another sequel nobody would mind.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Castillo-Corrales3: "War to Settle the Score" on June 3rd.

I'm looking forward to this, you are practically guaranteed a war with Corrales.

I'd love to see Diego win, but his only hope would be staying on the outside and boxing him, like he managed to just about acomplish with Casamayor.

Unfortunately we all know he is going to be right there on the inside slugging it out with Castillo, and I can only realistically see another KO victory for Castillo.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Castillo-Corrales3: "War to Settle the Score" on June 3rd.

how can corrales miss his chin have you seen the size of it its lik the size of valuev lol

Thread Information