Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you anticipate and dodge a punch?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How do you anticipate and dodge a punch?

I watch these pro fighters and i am amazed at how they can slip away from rapid punches. It seems incredible how they can dodge such fast punches, without knowing their opponent was about to punch. Sometimes the boxer will dodge a punch before i even realise what has happened!

How do they do this? Is it something to do with the shoulders changing position?

I know it is down to reflexes, but i am asking for the method.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do you anticipate and dodge a punch?

well, its something which is pretty hard to teach and explain. especially with text. you look for little things like their eyes, if they look like they are about to strike, rather than watching the glove look for any shoulder movement and always keep your range and there range in mind. you can tell alot from foor work and positioning.

You could right a massive guide on it but it won't help as much as the experience of actually sparring a kid trying to hit you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's a very good question, one that is taken for granted and overlooked many times. I remember one of my first boxing fight experiences, Holyfield Tyson I. I was totally amazed at how Holyfield could dodge such powerful, scary, and quite speedy if you ask me... punches.

Of course, lower weights do this at a faster pace.

So I have to get hit, to learn the answer to the question? Ok, I will. heh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

theres alot of knowing what your oppenets goner throw, for example the 1,2,3, if he throws the jab then sends the right cross you know theres a chance the hook is being set up so you time it to silp the hook and counter. theres alot more to it then that but its a easy example

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, when I first started I couldnt tell what was comming and I still dont really, but after a while I could just see the jabs comming and the crosses,hooks, upppercuts all that good stuff. And I learned all of that from sparring. After a while, it just becomes a natural reflex to move that certain way after that certain punch. You just have to keep on doing it until it becomes second nature. Its hard to explain, but once you get in there and try it, you'll understand what I mean by it just natural coming to you to slip this way or do whatever is nessacery. Happy Sparring!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im REAL hard to hit cuz ive allways focussed on not getting hit when someone would try to smack me, while most people i know just throw something back...

im guessing ive got decent reflexes tho, so maybee it cant be learned

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You practice and practice and you learn. The motion itself becomes natural and you find that certain people tend to throw certain punches in a certain order. Also, you know what punch you are throwing; and you know what punch you would counter that punch with, so he's likely to use the same blow.
    But when you watch a truly great fighter- Ricardo Lopez recently, Toney too, or the legends of the 1920s, 30s and 40s- and it semms like they know what the other guy is going to do before he does it, its often because they do know. And that'sbecause they made him do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it comes down to sparring, proper techinque and repitition.....It will then turn into muscle memory, and it will come naturally

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^ yeah, I always say that what you are doing is rewiring your mind so instead of flinching or doing what you would normally do your new instinct is to block, parry or slip then you have your subconscious picking which one to do to follow your game plan.

you can read and read and read about boxing but practice is what really makes perfect... reading just helps you practice the right thing

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres loads of little tricks you can try to make your responses for movement better Ill just give you a little one.Get hold of two rubber medicine balls same size stand barefoot on them shoulder width apart start shadowboxing on them knees bent you will come off a few times,to start with keep pluging away.After a while start rocking your feet on the balls 2 to3 inch at a time it will make your responses much qiucker.When youve got good at it try it with your dominant eye shut. Now that is hard.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually what is happening is youre making all your motor neurons work and bind at the same time you heard it on SADDO:S first

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i have thought of a decent 'home made' way of watching for a punch.

watch a pro fight. any pro fight. and choose an opponent, any of the two, its better if its the more skilled guy.

watch his body and everytime u think he is gonna throw a punch, dodge out the way. if he does punch, then well done u didnt get hit, but if he didnt - you moved for nothing. this way u can learn. its actually a pretty fun way to watch a fight - or maybe im just a sad twat!

no replacement for the real thing but u know...

just dont get caught doing it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Medina

i have thought of a decent 'home made' way of watching for a punch.

watch a pro fight. any pro fight. and choose an opponent, any of the two, its better if its the more skilled guy.

watch his body and everytime u think he is gonna throw a punch, dodge out the way. if he does punch, then well done u didnt get hit, but if he didnt - you moved for nothing. this way u can learn. its actually a pretty fun way to watch a fight - or maybe im just a sad twat!

no replacement for the real thing but u know...

just dont get caught doing it
    Naw man that is actualy a pretty good Idea for a cheap way to practice that any time u need or want to work on it. That way u don't need any one else to spar or have to wait to spar and practice it or any thing. granted like u all said it's not as good or like the real thing but u can do it any time u need as u can't just go and have some one to spar at any time u want or need to.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thats what boxing clubs are for? A wise man (:P) once told me that we rely to much on our eyes and not enough on what we physically feel. its a good idea but no substitute for sparring by a long shot.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its called preparation work but you cant beat sparring

Thread Information